• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA

Thanks for re-quoting my sarcasm :)

I hope it is the first of many over the next few month. Lord knows this place needs it .lol

I'm afraid it will be more "warped" than "wrapped." At least we have something to talk about and analyze. I would think that it will be the first of several possiblilities over the next 2 months.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was 68 here yesterday, and was 36 at 8 this morning. Ice on the car. Here is a pic from yesterday morning at Lake Lure. The lake level has been lowered by 5 feet while a new marina is being built. Many boats are high and dry inside their famous boathouses.

Wow! Beautiful! Thanks for posting that picture. I actually went water skiing there as a kid when our church group went to Camp Lurecrest for the week, a long...long...time ago.

The Euro did pretty well with this pattern a week out:

Euro last week: 00Z Thursday 12-8

post-1807-0-10300900-1323967338.jpg

Here's the analysis from SPC this morning:

post-1807-0-51104300-1323967368.gif

Pretty close in regards to the trough in the southwest and southeast ridge. Here's the blog I wrote last week about it. At least I had the 70 degree days mostly correct wink.png I didn't expect Wednesday to hit 72. Hopefully, the EURO (and GFS through 384 hrs) is correct , if you like rain that is, for next week's system because we could use it! Columbus is over 8.5" below average... axesmiley.png

But last year was very much below average in December. Not really a fair comparison. We've been spoiled and now we're paying for it.

Shoot...Nebraska is doing ok!

Paying for it is right. I'm at 69.4 at 1pm, and the stalled front that was giving me lots of rain a few days back is now giving me spit. At least it looks like Santa wants to give me a huge rain storm on Christmas. Thankgoodness for the long range GFS...things always look better out there, lol. Got to love the GFS long range hope machine :) T

werent we in a similar wx pattern to this before the carolina coast got hammered around xmas '89? I remember that Dec being mild up until that event? Not sure as I was just 15 then.

That was a very cold Dec around here in the triangle, we had 3 or 4 snow or ice events, and some very cold daytime temps. If I remember correctly it never got out of the teens for a few days during that period. That Christmas storm was suppressed by the cold to the coast. I was so frustrated they got our snow, as the forecast was for us to get the snow, til right before it hit.

The record high for KATL is 73 today. They are making a run for it, although I think they will fall a degree short of tieing. KATL is stitting at 70 at 12:55PM. Cartersville is already at 71. Overnight lows are looking like +20 above normal tonight. KATL's departure from normal for the month is getting ugly quickly.

That was a very cold Dec around here in the triangle, we had 3 or 4 snow or ice events, and some very cold daytime temps. If I remember correctly it never got out of the teens for a few days during that period. That Christmas storm was suppressed by the cold to the coast. I was so frustrated they got our snow, as the forecast was for us to get the snow, til right before it hit.

Here's December 24th, 1989 It was VERY cold... I've left this file original size so you can see the details.

post-594-0-07811300-1323974138.jpg

Here's December 24th, 1989 It was VERY cold... I've left this file original size so you can see the details.

Well, don't know what happened. It's attached.

Note the strength of that PV near the Hudson Straight, 468dm @ H5, compared to the 490's we are likely to see in a similar location over the next 10 days. Hard to tell from that map, but I do not really see an indication of above normal heights around Greenland. Ridging in the inter-mountain west looked great! And my best guess is that 1036 banana high splitting the central gulf coast/TN valley was of Arctic origins given the temps underneath, likely built in central Canada on the sw side of the PV before it came down. No SE ridge also, ridging was over the desert SW, all the way up to about Anchorage, far cry from the setup this Christmas, sorry to play Scrooge. santa.gif

The current pattern is as bad as it ever gets for winter snow lovers, cross country skiers and ski resort skiers.

First time in a while since I remember the ski resorts having it this tough. Still don't think it will be the worst season ever, at least I hope not, was wanting to try some backcountry skiing this year after a foot+ dump of powder. If not, wv here I come

Friendly reminder, please use these threads for current discussions and obs. If you would like to discuss historical weather and/or patterns, either create a new thread or use the banter thread.

Thanks.

Friendly reminder, we are not supposed to be talking about historical weather and or patterns in this thread.

There aren't any current observations, at least not that are very important. We're discussing periods that match the current piece of crap period that we're currently in. I would sure hate to create a new thread just to compare past periods with this one... rolleyes.gif What else are you going to talk about here???

There aren't any current observations, at least not that are very important. We're discussing periods that match the current piece of crap period that we're currently in. I would sure hate to create a new thread just to compare past periods with this one... rolleyes.gif What else are you going to talk about here???

I know it sounds pretty foolish when you sit and actually think about it. wink.png

Sitting at 71 in shorts and a short sleeved shirt again for the third day in a row.

Agree, period is currently inactive so you guys/gals wub.png have latitude. Discussion was brought up previously with Christmas 89 getting an occasional mention, a couple posts chatting about it here are not an issue as far as I am concerned. Granted, banter would probably be a better fit, but we seem to be SE OT there with some wx type/not covered elsewhere posts.

68/46 as of 2pm, SW @ 13 G20 under clear skies facepalm.png

Shoot...Nebraska is doing ok!

Paying for it is right. I'm at 69.4 at 1pm, and the stalled front that was giving me lots of rain a few days back is now giving me spit. At least it looks like Santa wants to give me a huge rain storm on Christmas. Thankgoodness for the long range GFS...things always look better out there, lol. Got to love the GFS long range hope machine smile.png T

74 deg here at 2:16 angry.png It's better than 90+ but I'm not looking forward to having to turn the air on...lol Goofy is giving me almost a half an inch of rain on Christmas biggrin.png

Archived