Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Good call Robert on the bust. Sitting at 41 for RDU right now. Methinks we will not hit 53...unless the sun comes out.

well for me, the sun is out and I shot up to 45. I was sitting at 39 all morning til an hour ago. Who saw all the coastal development though. So with these breaks here, we can shoot up to 50. I think the coastal development is helping scour here with a little downslope at mid levels and thats all it takes to erode some of the cloud bank.

post-38-0-68454600-1323710339.jpg

Lol at Roberts sat. image. Look at the French Broad river valley.(about right in the middle of the mnts of wnc.) Cloudy on both sides with bright sunshine in the valley. axesmiley.png

Well I'm shocked. The sun is out in full force now, and its 50...turning out to be a beautiful day here now. Look at the big hole that opened up right overhead.

post-38-0-45643300-1323715852.jpg

2010-11 Meteorological Winter Stats 12/1/10-3/1/11:

Total Snow for 2010-2011 - 7.0" - Yearly average 2" = 350% of normal

12/5/10 - first snow flurries

12/12/10-12/13/10 - Light dusting of snow

12/15/10-12/16/10 - Trace of snow - change over to ice

12/25/10-12/26/10 - about 2" of snow

1/9/11-1/10/11 - 4" of snow followed by 1/8"-1/4" of ice

1/11/11 - Trace of snow

1/12/11 - Trace of snow

2/9/11 - 2/10/11 - 1" accumulation

Lowest Temperature recorded - 13 on the morning of 12/14/10

This time last year we were on the eve of a light dusting of snow in Atlanta, followed the next day by the coldest reading of the year of 13 degrees then followed the next day by a trace of snow followed by the mini glaze of ice falling on very cold roadways that made traffic a nightmare. What a difference a year makes.

Link to icing event

http://www.srh.noaa....01215_ice_event

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/local_news/Mix-of-Rain,-Sleet-Possible-for-Atlanta,-North-Georgia-20101215-am-sd

FFC thinks the CAD will hang on through tonight

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

143 PM EST MON DEC 12 2011

.SHORT TERM /TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

WEDGE REMAINS IN PLACE OVER THE CWA. CURRENT THINKING IS THAT

WEDGE WILL AT LEAST MAINTAIN ITSELF THROUGH TONIGHT AS UPPER LEVEL

CONFLUENT FLOW STARTS TO MOVE OFF THE EAST COAST...ALLOWING THE

WEDGE TO BEGIN RETREATING. AS A RESULT EXPECT CLOUD COVER TO

REMAIN VIRTUALLY 100 PERCENT TONIGHT INTO TOMORROW MORNING.

GUIDANCE SUGGESTS SOME CHANCE OF POPS AND PRECIP IN FAR NORTH

GEORGIA...OVER THE MOUNTAINS. HOWEVER 12Z MODEL OUTPUT PRODUCES

PRECIPITATION WHERE NONE IS OCCURRING. WITH LACK OF UPPER LEVEL

SUPPORT AND EASTERLY LOW LEVEL FLOW DONT EXPECT MUCH OF A CHANCE

OF PRECIP IN THE CWA...AT LEAST CONFIDENCE IS LOW. SOME VERY

ISOLATED DRIZZLE IS POSSIBLE BUT WAS NOT CONFIDENT ENOUGH TO PUT

IN GRIDS. REST OF THE FORECAST PERIOD LOOKS QUIET WITH THE RETURN

OF AN UPPER LEVEL RIDGE OVER OUR AREA AND SUN ON WEDNESDAY.

2010-11 Meteorological Winter Stats 12/1/10-3/1/11:

Total Snow for 2010-2011 - 7.0" - Yearly average 2" = 350% of normal

12/5/10 - first snow flurries

12/12/10-12/13/10 - Light dusting of snow

12/15/10-12/16/10 - Trace of snow - change over to ice

12/25/10-12/26/10 - about 2" of snow

1/9/11-1/10/11 - 4" of snow followed by 1/8"-1/4" of ice

1/11/11 - Trace of snow

1/12/11 - Trace of snow

2/9/11 - 2/10/11 - 1" accumulation

Lowest Temperature recorded - 13 on the morning of 12/14/10

This time last year we were on the eve of a light dusting of snow in Atlanta, followed the next day by the coldest reading of the year of 13 degrees then followed the next day by a trace of snow followed by the mini glaze of ice falling on very cold roadways that made traffic a nightmare. What a difference a year makes.

Truly a historic December to say the least! Also, the snow in January was the first time in a while we had it start as all snow with temps in the 20's. Most of our major snows start as either all rain or rain/snow mix.

Truly a historic December to say the least! Also, the snow in January was the first time in a while we had it start as all snow with temps in the 20's. Most of our major snows start as either all rain or rain/snow mix.

Snow stuck to the roads from minute one with that storm, within five minutes of the first flake roads were basically impassable here with no chains or plows. First storm I remember in a long time where it was very cold for days before, during and after the storm. Literally the perfect setup for the type of road conditions we saw that week. Primed before the storm and locked in cold after.

Link to icing event

http://www.srh.noaa....01215_ice_event

http://www.myfoxatla...-20101215-am-sd

Christmas Storm: http://www.daculawea...e_christmas.php

Here's the long term for December and January. Note the last December was WAY below average for temps

December

december.png

January

january.png

Snow stuck to the roads from minute one with that storm, within five minutes of the first flake roads were basically impassable here with no chains or plows. First storm I remember in a long time where it was very cold for days before, during and after the storm. Literally the perfect setup for the type of road conditions we saw that week. Primed before the storm and locked in cold after.

That string of cold days/nights leading up to the storm definitely helped. Also, the fact that it was in January couldn't of been better timing. Crazy how fast the roads were covered. That freezing rain coating definitely kept it around longer too.

the pattern we've been in this Summer and Fall kind of reminds me of the 86-87 year. I remember it being hot that Summer and droughty in the Southeast, then a damp fall with some warm days ahead of some lake cutter type flows. It was very cloudy in that December if I recall, and I'm not seeing much sun in our future this month (more clouds than sun), but by the end of the month and beginning of the new year things changed. A series of southwest lows came across and one dove really deep in the Gulf and ran up the east coast as a big snowmaker in January. Do patterns repeat themselves? Of course they can. And we've had a lot of cutoffs and southwest lows lately. I'm seeing a pattern. So it would be crazy to ignore the fact that a big ridge can build out west and one of the southwest lows moves east into the Gulf then up the coast when there is a cold airmass in place. As I've said a while now, there are too many shortwaves and opening cutoff waves in the flow this year to ignore that fact and the likelihood is way higher than normal that the Southeast benefits atleast once from a major snowfall out of that. Most years we only get to roll the dice a few times a Winter. This year we get to keep on rolling and keep on rolling the dice, so odds are higher than usual.

Would love to see a repeat of 86/87. I believe some total seasonal snowfall records may have fallen or were within reach in the triad, nc area. The Jan 87 snowstorm was one of the best storms I can remember growing up in G'boro. Probably my favorite snow storm until I moved to Boone and got to enjoy the March 93 and Jan 96 storms.

Forecasted high of 52 and we made it up to 50 for about 30 minutes, back down to 46 currently. Another somewhat raw day, clouds never lifted, and the wind puts a uncomfortable chill to it. Thursday and Friday are looking good, mid-upper 60's on a sw flow, then another cool down in time for the weekend, and maybe some rn. Airport has been at or below 50 degrees for the past 72hrs, and while not unusual for Dec, certainly the most sustained cool down of the season thus far. Avgs for the day are 56/34

Its still drizzling and breezy outside. Temps have been steady in the low 50s. I love days like this. Just wanted the winds were a little higher. lol

Yeah, it was a good day here too! The moon is shining through high clouds now and temps are in the upper 40's, but this morning the wind was blowing hard out of the NE, and the lower 40's felt winter like. It was hard cloudy all day, but the only rain was over night as that little disturbance when through. I wouldn't mind another 30 or 60 of these this winter.....only colder and wetter :) Tony

It was quite chilly on Sunday. Only made it to 45 for a high and apparently a few sleet pellets had fallen around here yesterday morning according to my grandma though she said that it was only for a brief period with the temperature holding around 34. Must have been asleep through it because when I woke up, the sun had attempted to peep out of the clouds (around noon).

Unusual night. It was below freezing by midnight, then the cloud cover moved in, and the temp rose to 37 at 3 a.m... Right now it has dropped to 34. Yesterday was similar, but after climbing to 38 predawn, it never went down. I drove to Sugar Mountain in the a.m., and there was still alot of snow on the ground in the shadows from last week's event. The temp was 39, but the sun came out, and it climbed to 47. The skiers seemed quite happy with the good snow and no wind.

post-1004-0-92069600-1323771843.jpg

Yeah, it was a good day here too! The moon is shining through high clouds now and temps are in the upper 40's, but this morning the wind was blowing hard out of the NE, and the lower 40's felt winter like. It was hard cloudy all day, but the only rain was over night as that little disturbance when through. I wouldn't mind another 30 or 60 of these this winter.....only colder and wetter :) Tony

Yep we need some more of those days. And now the rest of this week we are in the 70s with sunshine.

For KATL:

I'm sitting at 52 right now only two degrees off the average high at 10:00AM!! The forecast high is 62-64 today which would put the high today at +8 to +10 above average. Low temp this morning was 43, that's a +6 departure from normal. The high temp last year on this date was 29, what a difference a year makes!! Last December was amazingly cold, this December is anything but.

The record cold December 2010 in Atlanta had a -7.1 departure.

For the month Atlanta is about a +2 departure from normal temps.. After today it's likely to be slightly higher, expecting temps to run about +7 for the day. With the string of mid 60's coming that +2 number is going up in a hurry.

Looks like TN, northwest GA and the Mountains of NC have the best shot if the 12z LR is to believed.

Something does not quite look right on that frame for Christmas Eve. I can't put my finger on it other than the precip looks really light and widespread for a FROPA. Maybe we can chalk it up to poor resolution.

Archived