Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Late November/Early December disco on the upcoming pattern

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I defintely think there will be chances down here, and esp up your way. The pattern isn't one that is conducive to Lake Cutters which is good. Now for me, I still can get screwed this time of year...but I'm gonna keep my head up and hope for some chances here.

You're going to be in the game Scooter.

Euro ensembles defintely do not agree with the fantasy storm that the op has, at least at the current moment.

The euro ensembles changed around a bit. Later in the period after d10 we begin to see the NATL ridge develop for a brief time. The ridge over the GOA retrogrades again and heights lower a bit in the GOA. However these lower heights try to pump up just a little PNA ridging in the west..especially NW Canada. These act to help keep cooler air in the northeast US. It's a good thing, because the se ridge I think would be pretty darn potent. I don't know how stable this pattern would be, or if it is just a blip, but not a bad run.

That is a good thing.

We can do ok with that setup...its stinks for the M.A. but for us we can get a lot of SWFEs with the N ATL ridge that is still a +NAO...Dec 1975 and Dec 1956 are the classic cases in La Nina.

That is a good thing.

We can do ok with that setup...its stinks for the M.A. but for us we can get a lot of SWFEs with the N ATL ridge that is still a +NAO...Dec 1975 and Dec 1956 are the classic cases in La Nina.

What are some big SWFEs we've had in history? I may be wrong, but with SWFEs, its never going to produce prolific snows correct? Usually like 12-15" type deals for the jackpot?

I know that 12/2007 storm was a good one but only like a foot of snow with that one...

Would we need a weaker original low in NY then try and get a major low to form S of LI to get that MECS type storm?

In response to will since I'm 5/day... I was talking about jackpot areas... mostly everyone sees like 4-8" in a SWFE right?

What are some big SWFEs we've had in history? I may be wrong, but with SWFEs, its never going to produce prolific snows correct? Usually like 12-15" type deals for the jackpot?

I know that 12/2007 storm was a good one but only like a foot of snow with that one...

Would we need a weaker original low in NY then try and get a major low to form S of LI to get that MECS type storm?

What the hell do you want? 12-15" is a massive snowstorm.

Most SWFES are like 6-10"

That is a good thing.

That really bumped up on this run. I was surprised....in a good way. I hope it continues.

I would be ecstatic with half that amount in the next 2 weeks...:arrowhead:

Interesting about the cold temps aloft causing issues (Scooter, Ampsu, etc)

I honestly am weak in that dept. I'm just noting how cold it is. I'm not so sure what it would mean going forward WRT the Arctic Oscillation. It might help continue it for a bit.

What the hell do you want? 12-15" is a massive snowstorm.

Most SWFES are like 6-10"

:lol:

the second half of the 00z ec ens run (day 6-10 - don't have beyond) look promising. combine the ULL in the sw ejecting some energy out into the plains with a pretty good NW flow across canada into the GL/NE with the area of rising heights in the central north atlantic, and that's as good a look as we've seen thus far. SE ridge is there but not gangbusters. that should reduce the risk of something coming out of OK and tracking over LEK's house.

:lol:

the second half of the 00z ec ens run (day 6-10 - don't have beyond) look promising. combine the ULL in the sw ejecting some energy out into the plains with a pretty good NW flow across canada into the GL/NE with the area of rising heights in the central north atlantic, and that's as good a look as we've seen thus far. SE ridge is there but not gangbusters. that should reduce the risk of something coming out of OK and tracking over LEK's house.

Yeah, I think part of that may be tied to the NATL ridge. Hopefully it continues on future runs.

Haven't looked at anything... Mainly because I went and looked at that freebie PSU E-Wall, D8-10 mean and the Euro flattened the +PNA with the blithe of a serial killer, ...all in a single run. That many ensemble members, unilaterally abandoned the idea. That's kinda fascinating the mean came in that way... Anyway, I tried to warn of this yesterday - I hope it is wrong. I haven't time to analyze anything much deeper.

I will say I'm really leery about this whole thing and could see it almost working out otherwise. That MJO hauling ass through Phase 3 and 4 like that while there is no antecedent or even arriving downward turn in the AO/EPO/NAO for compensating leaves the entire arena open to the MJO as the primary motivator on the pattern. It is possible the Euro mean is simple sniffing that out sooner than the GFS cluster.

Like I said... I'm only hoping for some anafrontal snow...could be from a series of weak waves along the front. Set low expectations I'd say and hope for the best. :)

Its pretty far out there and it was the 1st model to show it, Certainly would not run with it at this point but it goes to show the volatile nature of this upcoming pattern..

Not sure if the 6-10 would be applicable to the Ct. River valley.

actually...it would fit perfect.

PALMER 11.0 700 PM 12/13 HAM RADIO

LONGMEADOW 10.7 825 PM 12/13 SPOTTER

EAST LONGMEADOW 10.5 830 PM 12/13 HAM RADIO

EAST LONGMEADOW 10.5 900 PM 12/13 HAM RADIO

SOUTHWICK 10.2 808 PM 12/13 SPOTTER

MONTGOMERY 10.0 830 PM 12/13 HAM RADIO

WALES 10.0 900 PM 12/13 HAM RADIO

WEST SPRINGFIELD 10.0 750 PM 12/13 HAM RADIO

WESTFIELD 10.0 830 PM 12/13 HAM RADIO

WILBRAHAM 10.0 830 PM 12/13 HAM RADIO

BLANDFORD 9.5 830 PM 12/13 HAM RADIO

CHICOPEE 9.5 830 PM 12/13 HAM RADIO

CHESTER 9.0 830 PM 12/13 HAM RADIO

AGAWAM 8.5 900 PM 12/13 HAM RADIO

Are you serious? My "LA LA LA LOCK IT UP" post was deleted? That was legit contribution to the discussion.

Anyway, just an fyi, the 00z euro follows the progression that I described in detail a few pages back for an earlier Euro run. The storm just occurs with s/w #5 instead of s/w #6 ... one of these disturbances diving down the huge ridge from the arctic will produce something big. Can't promise snow for the Northeast, but someone in the eastern half of the nation is going to get a big storm.

What with the SE ridge (perhaps NATL ridge), the coming ridge E of Hawaii, and an abnormally strong vortex, I wouldn't say this is a volatile pattern.The idea of one or more SWFEs is intriguing right now. Hopefully we start seeing impressively worded WSWs coming out of the mountains in the SW next week.

GFS very close to developing a major low now along the lines of the Euro. Nice.

Lotta shortwave energy in the mix. We need each piece to be more distinct ... a la the Euro ;)

We need to cutoff part of the energy over the SW, and have a more distinct trough pass through the Northeast ... followed by the potent beast barreling down the ridge.

Lotta shortwave energy in the mix. We need each piece to be more distinct ... a la the Euro ;)

We need to cutoff part of the energy over the SW, and have a more distinct trough pass through the Northeast ... followed by the potent beast barreling down the ridge.

Very encouraging particularly to the NW. It's not there yet, but it's much closer.

Yes, Looks like a rain to snow scenario..

Yep for now, and should hopefully get better.

gfs_namer_165_500_vort_ht.gif

Yeah, It has the right idea but we need that vort to drop further SE to sharpen the trough for a further south development at the surface..Step in the right direction though

Yeah, It has the right idea but we need that vort to drop further SE to sharpen the trough and a further south development at the surface..

Big to me only because although the Euro is likely too extreme, it's more clear now a significant threat exists around 12/5-6. As TT always says we lost it for a few days, but that was the timeframe the GFS was highlighting many days ago.

Archived