Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Late November/Early December disco on the upcoming pattern

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting that information in this thread. It's a good idea for sure.

No problem man; I can understand completely how this stuff can seem pretty confusing at first. I thought the last few weeks were a perfect way to understand these concepts and just wanted to bring it to the board's attention.

The EPO response we are about to get is related to this stuff as well:

http://www.esrl.noaa.../images/epo.png

However, we aren't done with "torches" by any means. Another widespread shot is coming mid-December.

That is not the HM people were referring to...they are referring to board member "HM"...made post here on Nov 23:

http://www.americanw...ost__p__1140488

Might as well mean Howie Mandell because both are saying the same thing. More torches cometh.

"However, we aren't done with "torches" by any means. Another widespread shot is coming mid-December. "

And worse something is happening to the ozone, Ray must be using his aquanet again.

Might as well mean Howie Mandell because both are saying the same thing. More torches cometh.

"However, we aren't done with "torches" by any means. Another widespread shot is coming mid-December. "

And worse something is happening to the ozone, Ray must be using his aquanet again.

He thinks we get cold after 12/20 and a good snowstorm 12/20-23. Margusity is a joke....HM is the real deal...one of the best.

You been cranky today...

LOL, I'm fine. Sometimes I think people think I'm down on a pattern because I've disagreed with some of the return to winter calls, but I'm just telling it how I see it. I've probably posted so much about the pattern being rather blah...just to put some reality into the threads, and I'm likely coming across as negative, but I'm not. I've been so used to December being a clunker growing up, that it's not a big deal to me. I'm actually semi hopeful for a decent back half of the winter, but I admit that it's just a thought.

I think Will, Phil, Ryan, and myself have all been pretty much on point with this upcoming pattern. It looks very gradient-like as Will mentioned. He mentioned "picture 2007 only displaced a bit north", and I'm a little concerned about that se ridge....I'll be honest. I hope it just means some snow-->ice-->rain deals (maybe more ice in the interior), but I'm not a huge fan of how everything looks right now. It didn't look great in 2007 either and we know how that turned out so there is some history on our side. The thing about 2007 is that the pattern seemed pretty chilly, far out in time....and got a little warmer as we closed in. I feel like we walk the line already, and we are pretty far out.

That being said, the ridge does show signs of some amplitude, so I'm hopeful we can cash in...especially north of NYC and in the interior. Impossible to determine details this far out.

LOL, I'm fine. Sometimes I think people think I'm down on a pattern because I've disagreed with some of the return to winter calls, but I'm just telling it how I see it. I've probably posted so much about the pattern being rather blah...just to put some reality into the threads, and I'm likely coming across as negative, but I'm not. I've been so used to December being a clunker growing up, that it's not a big deal to me. I'm actually semi hopeful for a decent back half of the winter, but I admit that it's just a thought.

I think Will, Phil, Ryan, and myself have all been pretty much on point with this upcoming pattern. It looks very gradient-like as Will mentioned. He mentioned "picture 2007 only displaced a bit north", and I'm a little concerned about that se ridge....I'll be honest. I hope it just means some snow-->ice-->rain deals (maybe more ice in the interior), but I'm not a huge fan of how everything looks right now. It didn't look great in 2007 either and we know how that turned out so there is some history on our side. The thing about 2007 is that the pattern seemed pretty chilly, far out in time....and got a little warmer as we closed in. I feel like we walk the line already, and we are pretty far out.

That being said, the ridge does show signs of some amplitude, so I'm hopeful we can cash in...especially north of NYC and in the interior. Impossible to determine details this far out.

We wouldn't want you to be any different. I rely on your assessment as I believe it is objective as it can be. The weather will do what the weather will do. The early season jitters have some people anxious. I'm the biggest snow freak you'll ever meet but I don't get down if it is a clunker. I just go to the snow. That said, I am not the least bit worried at this juncture. Above average snowfall for most of NE when all is said and done. That's my call.

This pattern looks brutal now well into December; both the 12z ECM and 12z GFS ENS backed off on the cold in the long range with a retrograding GoA high and a strong +NAO. The Atlantic honestly looks brutal and that EPO block never really gets all the way to the Beaufort Sea, which would bring down more arctic air.

I wouldn't say brutal. We'll have some chances...especially up your way.

This pattern looks brutal now well into December; both the 12z ECM and 12z GFS ENS backed off on the cold in the long range with a retrograding GoA high and a strong +NAO. The Atlantic honestly looks brutal and that EPO block never really gets all the way to the Beaufort Sea, which would bring down more arctic air.

IMG-referee-flag.jpg

That kind of stuff isn't allowed here.

I am starting to throw in the towel....I'll be leaving Rindge December 17th, and I doubt we see that much snow or below normal temperatures until then. It's curtains for Dobbs Ferry if we have this +NAO/SE ridge pattern, no hope down there.

The pattern would support some legit threats between about Dec 7 and when you leave most likely. I don't think it looks horrible...I wish it looked better, but we'll have chances if a gradient pattern develops like the EC ensembles show.

I wonder what Will thinks, but the Euro ensembles almost scream an ice storm for someone.

Won't surprise me. Did you see what one of the top CPC analogs was today for the 11 day prog (Dec 9th)?

It was 12/10/08...the day before the ice storm started, lol. So yeah, its certainly something we could see.

Archived