Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Central PA Thread

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the most part, this is a map of how many climate divisions we have in PA. The red outlines are the general areas where the weather is drastically different, but of course is subject to individual patterns. The black/orange line is the general outline for Nor Easter type systems. I have a few different outcomes with the black/orange outline for mainly the diffence between eastern sliders, closer tracks to the coast, and benchmark. Now I realise the Nor Easters can throw precip further back towards the west but the orange outlines dictate where the best likelyhood and chance of occurance greater than 4" of snow. In the blue shadings is where the greatest likelyhood of Lake Effect events set up, and I know I left ouf the laurals and Pittsburgh areas because I'm not exactly sure where the boundaries typically set up for them. This is why the most of the posters outside these orange lines try to tell you guys were aren't favored for Nor Easter type of events, not really complaining. I made 13 general climate sections within PA, and I'm sure I could make some adjustments and you guys could help me out with that. Out of all the general climate sections I made, I feel bad for 6,7,9 and 7,9 is by far the worst place to live if you are a weather enthusiast because you are just on the outside of lake effect events and miss the most of Nor Easters and borderline on WAA events.

post-585-0-39868800-1323146415.jpg

post-585-0-40234100-1323146440.jpg

lol...IPT is basically what you named Potter.

I know and I feel bad for you guys the most, this area extends into Renovo, Emporium and in general the river low lying region which is climate division 7.

Lycoming, Clinton, Cameron, and southern Potter county sucks for winter. To an extent Tioga sucks to but they have latitude on their side and do better in WAA events. My area kinda sucks to because we don't get major Nor Easter storms unless its 93' or something close and the major lake effect misses me aka nickle dimed. But WAA is what saves me in region 12. The reason I have part of Potter in region 8 is because of the big diffence in elevation gives them a little more lake effect than me at times and they do alot better in some Nor Easters and WAA events.

GFS and NAM don't really surprise me with their respective solutions at this timeframe. GFS ensembles should be interesting. NAM goes from like .1 or so at UNV to 1.5" at MDT (bout 80 miles distance).. don't really think shields gonna be quite that tight. Otherwise NAM has a pretty nice low placement. Its like a broken record lately with hashing out these same details in the same corridor of PA. Def some parallels to the Oct 28th/29th storm...and I'll be riding the low tracking near/on the coastline train just like I did on that one.

GFS and NAM don't really surprise me with their respective solutions at this timeframe. GFS ensembles should be interesting. NAM goes from like .1 or so at UNV to 1.5" at MDT (bout 80 miles distance).. don't really think shields gonna be quite that tight. Otherwise NAM has a pretty nice low placement. Its like a broken record lately with hashing out these same details in the same corridor of PA. Def some parallels to the Oct 28th/29th storm...and I'll be riding the low tracking near/on the coastline train just like I did on that one.

It is out and impressive. See above.

Central PA smashing this run. See NE guys don't give up!

MAG you got some numbers?

workin on it, only to thur at 0z attm here. Just watchin my local one (AOO) already looks like bigger qpf. 850s dip below zero and 6 hr precip 0.23 in that Thur 0z timeframe.

alright,

AOO, JST, UNV, and IPT are all in the 0.5" QPF range.

HGR seems to have a few periods of moderate QPF as rain followed by a 6 hour period with a whopping 0.54 QPF with 850s cool enough

MDT at least .7" with temps marginal for snow another 0.8 beforehand on wed

AVP at least .8" frozen

FIG 0.3"

PIT 0.2"

PSU or MAG...do you guys have a gut feel on this one? The last few have made a late correction east...do you think this could happen again?

Given the history in recent years, we are in the period now where the models correct west, and then they try to correct a bit east within about 24 hours. Although if memory serves me correctly, they overcorrected back to the east in the October storm.

That being said, I still can't say I have a good feel of this one. The strange, very long vort max is very impressive, but I wonder how well the models are handling it. I still feel the potential for significant shifts in track from here on out because of that. There is a lot of energy to play with here, and until this whole thing begins to evolve, I think there is going to be a lot of uncertainty to where this is going.

alright,

AOO, JST, UNV, and IPT are all in the 0.5" QPF range.

HGR seems to have a few periods of moderate QPF as rain followed by a 6 hour period with a whopping 0.54 QPF with 850s cool enough

MDT at least .7" with temps marginal for snow another 0.8 beforehand on wed

AVP at least .8" frozen

FIG 0.3"

PIT 0.2"

Sounds good. I like my 3-6" call.

Archived