• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
NSF to hunt T-Storms with A-10 warplane in 2013

It seems as though the National Science Foundation has spent/will spend 13 million on aqurieing a A-10 Warthog and loading it up with scientific instruments (the exact kind yet to be determined). It is most likely that the aircraft won't do tornadic thunderstorms more focusing on Hail storms under 3", electrification experiments and dual-pol verifications though it can be used for things outside of those realms.

http://news.sciencem...f-storm-c.html?

A-10%20Thunderbolt%20II%20Diving.preview.jpg

Anybody know if there is a tolerance difference for flying in high precip or hail loaded storms for turbo-props versus true jet engines?

What I'm asking, are WP-3Ds and WC-130Js used for storm missions because the turbo-props can handle high precip loading better than jets without a prop blade in front that might pulverize/disperse the hail/rain, or just because they have longer loiter time than true jets.

Anybody know if there is a tolerance difference for flying in high precip or hail loaded storms for turbo-props versus true jet engines?

What I'm asking, are WP-3Ds and WC-130Js used for storm missions because the turbo-props can handle high precip loading better than jets without a prop blade in front that might pulverize/disperse the hail/rain, or just because they have longer loiter time than true jets.

The P-3 and WC-130 still use "turbo-props" but they are mainly used for their size, fuel capacity/loitering time. Jet engines and turbo-props can take in a surprisingly large amount of water and still function effectively. I think that the main reason they are using the Warthog though is it's capability to operate at low air speeds (low being 90 kts) and the fact that you can basically shoot RPG's at it and have minimal damage.They probably are going to have to re-enforce the first sets of blades though.

The P-3 and WC-130 still use "turbo-props" but they are mainly used for their size, fuel capacity/loitering time. Jet engines and turbo-props can take in a surprisingly large amount of water and still function effectively. I think that the main reason they are using the Warthog though is it's capability to operate at low air speeds (low being 90 kts) and the fact that you can basically shoot RPG's at it and have minimal damage.They probably are going to have to re-enforce the first sets of blades though.

I'd imagine that its the damage handling capability that the A-10 can support is one of their primary factors for selecting it. The thing is a best in almost every aspect and can survive things that few modern planes can. the "angles of attack" it can sustain might also be interesting for data gathering

True, the Warthog was designed so that small arms fire would have no effect on any systems.

However, small arms fire comes from the underside of the aircraft. But if a T28 can do the job, I'm sure a Warthog will do it better (although not cheaper).

I dare say the big factors in it's selection were parts availability, load carrying ability, it's short/unimproved field performance and it's excellent controllability. It is a very stable platform.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived