• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
BREAKING: 5.6 magnitude earthquake jolts Oklahoma

I remember when I was in the 4th grade there was some guy getting tons of publicity predicting the big one on the new Madrid fault. It scared the crap out of me as a child, we had earthquake drills at school regularly. Looks back now I can't help but wonder if it was some kind of insurance ploy to get people to buy earthquake insurance. Which many did.

Ha, I remember doing earthquake drills in elementary school as well. Wasn't enough door frames for every student though. ;):D

Not to take it OT, but I remember the tornado drills as well. Specifically, back in those days, we opened/cracked the windows in the classroom during that drill. :arrowhead:

Ha, I remember doing earthquake drills in elementary school as well. Wasn't enough door frames for every student though. ;):D

Not to take it OT, but I remember the tornado drills as well. Specifically, back in those days, we opened/cracked the windows in the classroom during that drill. :arrowhead:

Gotta equalize the pressure. :D I don't remember us ever doing that during our drills.

I remember when I was in the 4th grade there was some guy getting tons of publicity predicting the big one on the new Madrid fault. It scared the crap out of me as a child, we had earthquake drills at school regularly. Looks back now I can't help but wonder if it was some kind of insurance ploy to get people to buy earthquake insurance. Which many did.

Ivan Browning - remember it well. What make that creepy was the quake a month or two before his predicted date. I remember getting ready to walk outside and the whole house shook - one of the bigger ones I have been in. That really made everyone take notice and caused the panic to become - well panic. Schools were closed - it was a big deal.

Of course nothing happened on that date :)

It is always in the back of our minds. I absolutely dread it - I figure a 5.9-6.9 is most likely to occur - bigger possible but eh not as likely.

We have earthquake insurance on everything we own. I figure it a big one hits then that is the most likely disaster to destroy our properties all at once.

Never thought about your insurance ploy idea - that is sort of funny.

Not sure what the % of people in the region that have earthquake insurance. Would be curious to know.

It is one of those things that you hope never happens - but know will. Just a matter of when.

How is California not prepared for the big one? They have some of the best building codes in the country for earthquakes. They are no more not prepared for the big one than Houston, New Orleans, New York, or Miami is prepared for the big hurricane. Natural Disaster wise they are more prepared than any other city in the country.

How is California not prepared for the big one? They have some of the best building codes in the country for earthquakes. They are no more not prepared for the big one than Houston, New Orleans, New York, or Miami is prepared for the big hurricane. Natural Disaster wise they are more prepared than any other city in the country.

lol

Ignore Jebman's posts.

Are you going to offer an LOL or more insightful discussion?

I don't know much about earthquakes. The New Madrid superquake of death and destruction will happen sooner or later, just like the Category 5 into Tampa. Oklahomans aren't prepared for earthquakes, but they know what to do when there's a tornado outbreak. Californians wouldn't know what to do if there was somehow an outbreak in Cali.

I say make sure you're insured and don't worry about it until it happens.

Ivan Browning - remember it well. What make that creepy was the quake a month or two before his predicted date. I remember getting ready to walk outside and the whole house shook - one of the bigger ones I have been in. That really made everyone take notice and caused the panic to become - well panic. Schools were closed - it was a big deal.

Of course nothing happened on that date :)

It is always in the back of our minds. I absolutely dread it - I figure a 5.9-6.9 is most likely to occur - bigger possible but eh not as likely.

We have earthquake insurance on everything we own. I figure it a big one hits then that is the most likely disaster to destroy our properties all at once.

Never thought about your insurance ploy idea - that is sort of funny.

Not sure what the % of people in the region that have earthquake insurance. Would be curious to know.

It is one of those things that you hope never happens - but know will. Just a matter of when.

Now that I think about it, it seems like schools may have been closed here on that date too. For some reason December 4th sticks out in my head as the predicted date. I know my parents bought earthquake insurance and I did get it on my place too. I'm not real sure how bad it would get this far north if the big one did hit New Madrid but it's better to be safe then sorry.

NOAA Radar Shows Birds, Bugs Flying During Quake

http://www.ktul.com/.../15971355/radar

I'm not sure if this is an accurate claim but it is pretty interesting if true.

I saw this posted on fb by the NWS itself so it must be legit. Pretty cool actually. Would have been really neat if a Dual Pol picked it up, since the CC would be much lower (I think?) than the area surrounding the bug-splosion.

Amazing stuff. We're lucky it occurred between two OK population centers and not right under one of them. I'm actually surprised I haven't seen more buzz around this earthquake. Any videos?

DC > OKC

Archived