• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
BREAKING: 5.6 magnitude earthquake jolts Oklahoma

http://www.koco.com/...767/detail.html

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The United States Geological Survey confirmed a 5.2-magnitude earthquake in central Oklahoma.The epicenter of the temblor was near Sparks, which was the area where a 4.7-magnitude earthquake shook early Saturday.

http://earthquake.us.../usb0006klz.php

Definitely felt it here in Tulsa.

Wow On the earthquake . They are happening everywhere it seems like to me. I was in the northern Va quake a couple of months ago. Weird and wild is all I can say for my experience . Having the earthquakes all over the world in the past decade, leads me to believe that the earth is angry. Hope no one got hurt and everyone is ok.

Wow On the earthquake . They are happening everywhere it seems like to me. I was in the northern Va quake a couple of months ago. Weird and wild is all I can say for my experience . Having the earthquakes all over the world in the past decade, leads me to believe that the earth is angry. Hope no one got hurt and everyone is ok.

The earth isn't happy bc she lost her toothbrush....

(bobby boucher FTW?!)

Yes it seems pretty clear that the 4.7 was a foreshock. Californians may not be totally prepared for the Big One (and we clearly found out in 1995 and again this year that Japan is surely not either), but they are certainly better prepared for it than the folks in the New Madrid Fault Zone or in New England. The amount of structural damage on OK near the epicenter is a bit unsettling. We never saw that much damage near the epicenter in the 5.9 I rode out in 1955 in San Jose less than a mile from the epicenter.

Steve

Yes it seems pretty clear that the 4.7 was a foreshock. Californians may not be totally prepared for the Big One (and we clearly found out in 1995 and again this year that Japan is surely not either), but they are certainly better prepared for it than the folks in the New Madrid Fault Zone or in New England. The amount of structural damage on OK near the epicenter is a bit unsettling. We never saw that much damage near the epicenter in the 5.9 I rode out in 1955 in San Jose less than a mile from the epicenter.

Steve

Obviously a New Madrid size quake is the "doomsday" scenario for the region but it's been 116 years since the last time there was a 6+. There's probably going to be considerable damage whenever it happens.

Actually 5.5's or higher can really be nasty in places not accustomed or prepared for same. Some years ago, NewCastle NSW in Australia was hit by a 5.8 which caused considerable damage and fatalities. A 6+ centered in IL/KY/TN/AR/MO or close to NYC would be a real backbreaker for this country in terms of damage, economic losses, and fatalities and such is possible-remember that until NoCA in 1906, the Charleston SC shock of 1886 was the deadliest in US history and that the 1811-12 New Madrid sequence ranks tight up there among the strongest ever in the lower 48 (AK has everyone beat except Chile).

Steve

I remember when I was in the 4th grade there was some guy getting tons of publicity predicting the big one on the new Madrid fault. It scared the crap out of me as a child, we had earthquake drills at school regularly. Looks back now I can't help but wonder if it was some kind of insurance ploy to get people to buy earthquake insurance. Which many did.

I remember when I was in the 4th grade there was some guy getting tons of publicity predicting the big one on the new Madrid fault. It scared the crap out of me as a child, we had earthquake drills at school regularly. Looks back now I can't help but wonder if it was some kind of insurance ploy to get people to buy earthquake insurance. Which many did.

lol...Iben Browning. I was a youngster but even I remember all the hoopla.

Archived