BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2010 sets new record for carbon dioxide emissions

stellarfun

Funny how I see this article today

http://news.yahoo.com/science-panel-ready-extreme-weather-104156773.html

From article:

And it's not just the big headline grabbing disasters like a Hurricane Katrina or the massive 2010 Russian heat wave that studies show were unlikely to happen without global warming.

What piss poor writing. I find it extremenly hard to believe that any scientist would state that a catergory 3 landfalling hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico would be unlikely to happen without global warming.

Skeptics/deniers do share the approach he described (advocating political inaction on AGW), despite other differences.

I'm skeptical about certain claims made by AGWers and believe that the total warming is a composite of causes including an AGW one but the question I have is where in the fooking hell have YOU seen me advocate political inaction on the issue of fossil fuel use and other things involved in the issue?

Steve

I'm skeptical about certain claims made by AGWers and believe that the total warming is a composite of causes including an AGW one but the question I have is where in the fooking hell have YOU seen me advocate political inaction on the issue of fossil fuel use and other things involved in the issue?

Steve

So you would favor serious carbon cutting legislation which will cut our emissions the necessary 30%+ over the next 20 years? With potentially further cuts thereafter?

Steve

Then you are are an exception to the general characterization which obviously holds true. Most skeptics/deniers do not accept we have a serious problem in need of mitigation. Honest skeptics are not yet convinced by the evidence while honest deniers are convinced there is no problem, or if there is a problem it is either not of mankind's doing or that CO2 can not and will not cause serious global warming.

GENEVA, 21 November 2011 (WMO) –The amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere reached a new high in 2010 since pre-industrial time and the rate of increase has accelerated, according to the World Meteorological Organization’s Greenhouse Gas Bulletin. It focussed special attention on rising nitrous oxide concentrations.

Between 1990 and 2010, according to the report, there was a 29% increase in radiative forcing - the warming effect on our climate system - from greenhouse gases. Carbon dioxide accounted for 80% of this increase.

“The atmospheric burden of greenhouse gases due to human activities has yet again reached record levels since pre-industrial time,” said WMO Secretary-General Michel Jarraud. “Even if we managed to halt our greenhouse gas emissions today – and this is far from the case – they would continue to linger in the atmosphere for decades to come and so continue to affect the delicate balance of our living planet and our climate.”

“Now more than ever before, we need to understand the complex, and sometimes unexpected, interactions between greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, Earth’s biosphere and oceans. WMO will continue to collect data to further our scientific knowledge through its Global Atmosphere Watch network spanning more than 50 countries, including stations high in the Andes and Himalayas, in the remote expanses of Alaska and in the far South Pacific,” he said.

Greenhouse gases trap radiation within the Earth’s atmosphere causing it to warm. Human activities, such as fossil fuel burning and agriculture, are major emitters of greenhouse gases which are drivers of climate change. After water vapour, the three most prevalent long-lived greenhouse gases are carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide.

Read More Detail

Archived