Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Tracking the Late October Potential

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warmer where? the 850s would seem to crash quickly if they are that far S and E at 24

at 24 hrs the 850 line is basically identical to 12z if it's not at 18 (which it is pretty darn close but maybe a smidge west)

Does the EURO even show snow down here at all then?

It collapses pretty good between 18z and 00z...we'd need to see the wunderground 3 hourly maps to see how much gets down to I-95. It looks like it would end as some snow...esp W of the fall line. Interior N MD elevations near PA border almost certainly gets accumulating snow.

Euro/GFS blend with a sprinkling of NAM. Near 95 probably hope for a rogue superband to end tho we may mix/change earlier for conversational snow. I'd take 30-60 min of mod+ if forced.

euro has tightened the thermal gradient in this area, its slightly warmer if you are right along 95 or east, but it is actually colder if you are 20 miles west of 95 and points west.

850s at IAD are -.02 at 12z, -2 at 18z and -4.2 at 0z. Precip is .58 from 12z to 18z and .22 after 18z

There is always a prelude of things to come.. this Winter is going to be awesome

for some reason this is giving me images of 95-96, just the transient nature of everything juxtaposed with the strength of the system... but my analogs are still 08-09, 62-63, and 56-57 (in that order). we're in a very cold spell right now, yet we should be rather mild next week, although it appears we may go cold again soon after...

wouldn't be surprised if we turn out snowier though, as the QPF of recent events has just been phenomenal...

for some reason this is giving me images of 95-96, just the transient nature of everything juxtaposed with the strength of the system... but my analogs are still 08-09, 62-63, and 56-57 (in that order). we're in a very cold spell right now, yet we should be rather mild next week, although it appears we may go cold again soon after...

wouldn't be surprised if we turn out snowier though, as the QPF of recent events has just been phenomenal...

March thru the past few months have been very wet. If the wet pattern continues this winter - it's likely that we will end up with above normal snows for the season as well as a lot of rain.

Some mysteries solved:

LARGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 00Z NAM AND GFS IN THE THERMO PROFILE BLO

H7 AND MOST IMPORTANTLY BLO H85. KIAD 06Z SOUNDING SHOWS THAT THE

GFS IS TOO WARM AND THE NAM IS TOO COLD AS EVIDENCED BY COMPARING

THE MODEL SOUNDING PLOTS AT 06Z TO OBSERVED BALLOON. THIS SUPPORTS

THE WIDE DISPARITY OF MODEL SNOW ACCUM EAST OF THE BLUE RIDGE...WITH

THE NAM GIVING IAD 11 INCHES OF SNOW AND THE GFS GIVING ZERO INCHES

OF SNOW. WILL BE USING THE 21Z SREF AS THE BASIS FOR THE SNOW ACCUM

AND TIMING. HPC ANALYSIS SPEAKS OF A RECENT NAM UPGRADE THAT MAY BE

PRODUCING A COLD BIAS IN THE MODEL.

Archived