Newest Member
    Monty
Tracking the Late October Potential

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1319853243[/url]' post='1074144']

21z SREF a bit colder aloft. 850 0C line maybe ~10-20mi east at 18z tomorrow, which is the warmest time. 15z SREFs had it almost over IAD at the time, 21z has it about right over DCA and along I-95.

How many members show an appreciable changeover for the i95 corridor that's way more important than an ensemble mean?

How many members show an appreciable changeover for the i95 corridor that's way more important than an ensemble mean?

I've only seen the mean so far. Ewall is still yesterday's run so far.

NAM is slightly colder at 850 vs. 18z through 18z tomorrow. System isn't quite as amped.

I'm always a big fan of a model showdown within 24 hours....somebody is going to bust hard.

No doubt. Now I'd cut those model-generated snow totals in half or so due to compression/melting/snow ratios. That's still WAY more than the GFS is predicting. Most times, if the Euro and NAM are in agreement (and they're fairly close here) and the GFS is the outlier, I'd take the Euro/NAM combination. Perhaps GFS will score a coup here, its certainly got almighty climo on its side.

I'm always a big fan of a model showdown within 24 hours....somebody is going to bust hard.

It would be helpful if the 00z GFS were to nudge the NAM's way at least a lil bit. If it doesn't... well then how do you forecast when one model says mostly rain and another says 4"+ of snow?

Repost (accidentally in banter thread)

The NAM is usually pretty good in this range with temp profiles. I dunno. It could be right or close.

Obviously overdone on the snow but goodness could the short range model really be that wrong this close on temps? Baffling....anyway according to those silly coolwx maps even the 18z gfs gave IAD a decent amount of frozen precip....glad it's only October

The NAM is usually pretty good in this range with temp profiles. I dunno. It could be right or close.

I said this earlier. Thermals with the NAM are supposedly best in this range. But it's hard to take seriously with the amount of wrap around/backlash it has. Even cutting the clown maps in half, that's about 4 inches for us. Now you can rightfully lolz

1319854464[/url]' post='1074252']

I really expected a cave to the warm side. It's hard to argue with a model that has the resolution advantage...but then again if all the 0z guidance looked like the NAM I still wouldn't believe nothing until I saw it tomorrow.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

955 PM EDT FRI OCT 28 2011

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SATURDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --HIGH PRESSURE CENTERED OVER NEW YORK THIS EVENING. TWO AREAS OF LOW

PRESSURE ON THE MAP...THE FIRST ACROSS EASTERN TN AND THE SECOND OFF

THE COAST OF THE CAROLINAS. COLD AIR WEDGE IN PLACE ACROSS THE CWFA.

GETTING SPORADIC REPORTS OF ALL SNOW ABOVE 1200 FT THIS

EVENING...WITH A RASN MIX ACROSS THE CENTRAL SHENANDOAH VALLEY. HAVE

TWEAKED THE POP AND WX GRIDS TO REFLECT CURRENT CONDITIONS.

00Z SOUNDING ANALYSIS SHOWS ATMOS IS BELOW FREEZING ABOVE 2500 FT.

EUROPEAN...GFS...AND NAM ALL SIMILAR WITH THE SURFACE/UPPER LEVEL

SYNOPTIC FEATURES. ONE MAIN DIFFERENCE IS TEMPS AT 850MB...THE NAM

STAYS DECIDEDLY COLDER THAN THE OTHER MODELS. EUROPEAN AND GFS BOTH

HAVE WARM ADVECTION OCCURRING AT 850MB OVERNIGHT...WHILE THE NAM HAS

SOME SLIGHT COOLING.

HAVE TWEAKED THE SNOWFALL TOTALS A BIT THIS EVENING. RAISED TOTALS

AROUND AN INCH OR TWO ACROSS THE POTOMAC HIGHLANDS. ALSO RAISED

SNOWFALL TOTALS JUST EAST OF THE WARNING AREA AND RAISED AN

ADVISORY. THIS AREA WILL BE VERY CLOSE TO WHERE A HEAVY BAND OF

PRECIP WILL SET UP ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE LOW PRESSURE CENTER

TOMORROW. NOT CONFIDENT ON HOW FAR SOUTH THE BAND WILL EXTEND...SO

DIDN`T RAISE ANYTHING FURTHER ACROSS THE CENTRAL VA FOOTHILLS.

OTHERWISE...NO MAJOR CHANGES. -- End Changed Discussion --

could the short range model really be that wrong this close on temps?

Well that's the key here. We're talking about a couple degrees at 850 and a degree or two near 700. GFS is warm at both levels, NAM is cold at both levels. Neither would be THAT wrong if the other verified. I'd certainly like to see IAD send a balloon up at 18z tomorrow just so we could verify them.

Obviously overdone on the snow but goodness could the short range model really be that wrong this close on temps? Baffling....anyway according to those silly coolwx maps even the 18z gfs gave IAD a decent amount of frozen precip....glad it's only October

I think I'm more skeptical of the amount of precip after the low passes us than I am of the thermal profile.

Nothing really changed today significantly with any models... all held their positions... which is sort of weird.. still no real consensus among the two sides.. time to start looking at mesoscale and short range stuff.. speaking of which what do the srefs look like.

Glad I stuck to my guns 2-5" still seems possible..

Yeah, the clown map is still a bit clownish but at this range I'd almost always lean on the NAM temps and mesoscale features. It's a hell of a lot of QPF but I think if we're going to maximize QPF oftentimes it's going to be early season like this. You still have to slash and burn a little but that's still considerably more interesting than the GFS at least around here. I still don't really love the vort positioning but it sorta cuts due east across this area after coming from the sw.. not something you see that often.

I really expected a cave to the warm side. It's hard to argue with a model that has the resolution advantage...but then again if all the 0z guidance looked like the NAM I still wouldn't believe nothing until I saw it tomorrow.

So did I. It is a little unnerving (if you're a forecaster) to see something like this so close to the event. I thought the NAM would cave hard for this run. I guess we'll test out the NAM vs GFS thermals.

Archived