Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Tracking the Late October Potential

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really know why what the models have showed matters.......we have to see how it plays out, but a super early season event with this surface and upper level track with this air mass is going to dump snow somewhere to our north and west and probably not on us....who cares what the models showed?

the models advertised it; yeah Tip had a thread in the NE forum about a possible event, but then he pulled the plug a day too soon

I believe it's fair to say that very few would have been interested in this "event" if the Euro, NAM and even the GFS weren't showing historical October snows (historical NOV snows for that matter), so in that respect, the models did matter

it's been very close for us all along; I'm not saying it''s over either, but no one can deny it doesn't look good attm

although I would love to see some accumulating snows, and we still may, I'm not going to loose too much sleep over it considering the date and the fact we (IAD/DCA/BWI) will all finish OCT with above normal precip, and that is encouraging for the winter season, especially if NOV can follow

NORTHERN BALTIMORE-HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD = WWA... 3-5" of snow forecast

SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX- SOUTHERN FAUQUIER = WWA... 1-4" of snow forecast (lowest amts near I-95 corridor)

Close enough to what I thought was possible here.. (2-5").. Maybe a little over performence can get us there.. (only a mile or two north in lutherville is forecasted for 2-4")

the way the models depicted this a day or 2 ago, it was a hit regardless of the season

ultimately, if this doesn't work out, it's not because of the date, but because of the upper levels

assuming the GFS is correct with the 5H, 7H and 850 H, this would have turned to sleet or rain even in the middle of the winter

although originally it was modeled to be a problem for snow because of the boundary level, it seems to have ended up being our typical NINA "problem" event

accept it, and expect to have a few more this winter, that's all

not sure I agree with this totally...it can snow south of the H5 track in specific instances, its just not as common. This seems to be a case where it might have if this was mid winter. There is no huge warm surge really its just a degree or two were talking about and to think it would not be a few degrees colder at most levels if this was January might not be the case. I think the heaviest snows would have been NW of our area even in January, but this setup might have been a case like some of the 60s storms where the 20" plus snows were in PA but the DC area still got 10" of snow even though they were south of the upper level energy.

Not one person here outside of higher elevations should be let down or shocked by this. This was a fun and interesting storm to track nonetheless.

Matt I'm not sold on traveling now, unless you want to head up to the poconos. :yikes:

I'm happy that we played things conservatively on CWG. After looking at the 18Z GFS I don't feel honor bound to wait for the 00Z version.

not sure I agree with this totally...it can snow south of the H5 track in specific instances, its just not as common. This seems to be a case where it might have if this was mid winter. There is no huge warm surge really its just a degree or two were talking about and to think it would not be a few degrees colder at most levels if this was January might not be the case. I think the heaviest snows would have been NW of our area even in January, but this setup might have been a case like some of the 60s storms where the 20" plus snows were in PA but the DC area still got 10" of snow even though they were south of the upper level energy.

well, although I hear ya', I can't recall any 10" totals around here when we've been south of the H5 but I guess is can happen

maybe we can just agree that 1) it's potentially nice to see this early in the season for the upcoming winter, and 2) we'll never really know what could have been in the middle of the winter, but we can dream :snowwindow:

well, although I hear ya', I can't recall any 10" totals around here when we've been south of the H5 but I guess is can happen

maybe we can just agree that 1) it's potentially nice to see this early in the season for the upcoming winter, and 2) we'll never really know what could have been in the middle of the winter, but we can dream :snowwindow:

totally agree

That's just great - I thought I was gonna slide - thought I was far enough east to get away with only rainfall.

NO SUCH LUCK

I got fully leaved trees right near my house. Those branches will come down as heavy wet snow piles up on them.

C'MON models! GO a LOT farther west with this!!!!! Please for the love of the universe! Give Leesburg 17 inches of wet snow, give me about 2 inches of plain rain - Just this once please!

Using reverse psychology dosen't work against Mother Nature.

I am shocked over the snow coming into the northern Va in the morning. I have never seen snow this early in the year. Makes me think of the winter to come. Feels like a possible old fashion winter for me this year. Besides the early start. Tomorrow morning will be a morning for picture taking if everything plays out. 2-4" in my neck of the woods.

It seems I-81 is the divide between the haves and have-nots.

A big red flag is the rain way to the north, NNE and NNW. Where is any

source of cold air other than dynamic mixing down with heavy precip rates?

The idea of heights crashing in sync with precip starting to cut off (late tomorrow afternoon) is the climatological norm.

Congrats Snownut - You can have all of that wet snow. You can take my snow this go around - and I'll cheerfully embrace the rain. Rain don't bring branches down on my house - heavy wet snow DOES.

You can have ALL the wet snow man.

jebman... totally agree. concerned about trees down here tomorrow

It seems I-81 is the divide between the haves and have-nots.

A big red flag is the rain way to the north, NNE and NNW. Where is any

source of cold air other than dynamic mixing down with heavy precip rates?

The idea of heights crashing in sync with precip starting to cut off (late tomorrow afternoon) is the climatological norm.

lol

Is is still sleeting at the Bay Bridge?

Archived