Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Tracking the Late October Potential

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although we're getting into the short-range where ensemble forecasting becomes less reliable, the 12z GFS ensembles mean is colder than the Op. 850 0C line seems right on I-95 at hr 24 and 30 for many members.

Agree, interesting stuff here.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfsensemble/members/12zsnowf048.html

overdone of course but much better than the OP, maybe she'll get a little colder at 18z.

The 850 line runs right through the heart of Baltimore and DC at 18z....then presumably crashes, but only about .15" of precip after 18z.....my best guess is the 850mb low passes just to the southeast of DC but much closer than we want it....my best guess on the euro is you want to be further west than Marcus/Psu Hoffman....I think the Catoctins/Hagerstown/MRB are in good shape for accumulating snows

This is splitting hairs but the Euro taken exactly as is, actually is very good for my exact location. Soundings for Westminster MD show 850s stay well below 0 and surface temps about 33-34 the entire event with 1.41 liquid and that is 7 miles south of me and 250 feet lower in elevation. Probably implies 8-10" of very heavy wet snow. Not my prediction.

guidance was not as good back then and I believe there was much more cold air to work with....it way overperformed, but I think there was snow forecast for all of DC metro

"The story begins on the evening of November 10, 1987. A cold high pressure for the time of year was to the north of the D.C. area, while a weak 'upper air disturbance' was forecasted to pass to the south of D.C .overnight which would include the D.C. area in the northern fringe of its limited precipitation shield. The term 'upper air disturbance' was years later confirmed by a University of Maryland climatologist to me as being what I had suspected all along: that the meteorologists don’t know what it actually is and that it is 'up in the air' and is indeed a disturbance since it is producing cloudiness or precipitation, hence the term upper air disturbance. The local National Weather Service (NWS) as well as every local news meteorologist including Bob Ryan of channel 4, Sue Palka of channel 5, and Gordon Barnes of channel 9 predicted flurries for the area that night. The fact that the local news meteorologists went with the NWS is of no surprise because they rarely deviated from the others and actually stated what they were thinking, if anything."

See http://localnews.col...erans-day-storm

Archived