• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Tracking the Late October Potential

stormtracker

Probably extra cautious. 4 inches from this storm will cause far more damage and disruption than 6 inches in a Jan or Feb storm, IMO

This. LWS criteria for Winter Storm Watch includes "Enough ice accumulation to cause damage to trees or powerlines." True, we're not talking about ice in this case, but if we're talking about a heavy snow, with leaves still on trees, then the effects-based element of this criteria could be met by this storm, if not the precise causal mechanism.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

State College has gone all Winter Storm Warnings across their area. Looks like the WSWatch areas in teh Sterling Market will mostly go Warned as well.

in pa it's kind of a no brainer based on the mid/upper level tracks. lwx has to be kind of nervous many spots if they need to pull the trigger this afternoon.

in pa it's kind of a no brainer based on the mid/upper level tracks. lwx has to be kind of nervous most spots if they need to pull the trigger this afternoon.

I would think they go warnings in the Apps and maybe the border counties of carroll and frederick in MD at 330... hold off till later for everyone else

in pa it's kind of a no brainer based on the mid/upper level tracks. lwx has to be kind of nervous many spots if they need to pull the trigger this afternoon.

I'd imagine they will wait until the Euro comes in before doing anything.

I'd imagine they will wait until the Euro comes in before doing anything.

i doubt they're waiting for it specifically but they have an afternoon package normally so that would be a typical time to issue

been too busy to check so sorry if its been mentioned, but that precip in TN/WV is definitely N of where the models had it at this time

I'm thinking that may be playing into the GFS scenario but then paranoid is my middle name when it comes to snow around here

precip pattern on radar matches well with UKMET also and that still is in the colder camp so not sure current obs mean much in that regard.

That said, I think I side with the GFS camp because the H5 track on this sucks on just about all guidance now, even for where I am along the MD/PA border. Usually the surface resolves to match the upper levels more often then the other way around. This is why last winter events that looked good at the surface would constantly get worse as the time approached to match the crappy H5 setup. Often times there seems to be a delay between the correction at H5 and the correction at the surface. Hope I am wrong.

track is pretty similar to 0z... tough to tell on 500 features on maps i have but it looks a bit north. still 1"+ qpf across all lwx east of mtns.

not sure i can say much about snow lines..

At least you have intermediate times. Hard to tell much from the PSu site except that the new england crowd will be hyped. A amjor storm for them in October.

i want to say this run has pretty minimal or no real snow dc/balt immediate area.. very little qpf on 36 panel. and the 0c line is overhead or just west at 30 (18z). particularly up near balt the 0c backed a good bit (was east of bay or on east edge now over balt or west).

Archived