• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Tracking the Late October Potential

stormtracker

...simply put, rain for most in the morning and then flakes mixing in around or after noon and then all snow around 4 pm but not accummulating

until sunset and then the precip. shuts off by about 10 pm.

If the GFS is 100% accurate, precip would end a lot sooner than that for those of us west of the Bay. Because the 850mb low and vort track a bit farther north, we would dryslot and probably most precip would end by 6pm. We need to be in the deform band to have sufficient time with 1. a cold temperature profile and 2. moderate-to-heavy precip to get any accumulation.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DC/Balt doesn't see a flake according to the GFS. Does anyone remember last winter? It was like normal winters...it's all west of I95 period

For the Balto/DC metro area:

Nothing more than a non-event until after 3 pm Saturday when...

The 21Z GFS shows the 0C line at 850 reaching the western Chesapeake Bay and when that happens, the changeover will be nearly complete...

...simply put, rain for most in the morning and then flakes mixing in around or after noon and then all snow around 4 pm but not accummulating

So...about three accummulating hours except for outlying north and west.

Climo tells us the mid-level moisture shuts off as the entire column cools this early in the season.

The 21Z GFS shows the 0C line at 850 reaching the western Chesapeake Bay and when that happens, the changeover will be nearly complete...

Climo tells us the mid-level moisture shuts off as the entire column cools this early in the season.

And that sure beats a normal last weekend of Oct around here which would be around 60F and partly cloudy...thinking of what could have been will drive you crazy!

It actually looks more drizzly than snowy as it looks dry above minus 8C. That may be too warm to activate any nuclei

Good point. We had a similar issue last year during the PSU Hoffman storm. Had that burst of snow in the morning and then had drizzle most of the daytime with a similar temp profile. Once the upper levels resaturated in the evening, it turned back over to snow.

i think more often than not these storms depart quicker than modeled too. im not holding out much hope for a very late changeover followed by wraparound accum, that's for sure. flakes in the air is probably still a good general goal right around here.

where you live you should have never been invested one way or the other, other than hoping for the real possibility of seeing some flakes....and that may still happen....this was never an IMBY storm.....this was a storm to follow out of interest in weather if you live in somewhat close in burbs below say 600'

I think the historic angle of this storm had added to things. The fact that we were talking snow(measurable one can argue) in Oct can make one not want to leave open the idea that this could go the other direction as it appears to be doing.

no argument there. super rare events that never happen are super rare for a reason. i still have no real clue what will happen but im generally planning on wet ground as i have been imby at least.

Based on the 500h track of the NAM, I kind of like the idea of the 850 low tracking almost over us like the GFS does, that said, I really don't have a clue of what will happen except that DCA is unlikely to get an accumulation and that there, the bulk of the precp will probably be rain. For people out west this is a nightmare as it could be a non even or could be one that might cause lots of tree damage.

If the GFS is 100% accurate, precip would end a lot sooner than that for those of us west of the Bay. Because the 850mb low and vort track a bit farther north, we would dryslot and probably most precip would end by 6pm. We need to be in the deform band to have sufficient time with 1. a cold temperature profile and 2. moderate-to-heavy precip to get any accumulation.

I'm using deep moisture at 700 mb at the cutoff.

GFS shuts off precip around 4Z

my quote that was used for CWG.

Despite issuing a snow accumulation map for the area, there still is an incredible amount of uncertainty inherent in the forecast. The one thing we are pretty sure of is that the approaching system will produce lots of precipitation. Beyond that simple fact the outcome becomes muddled.

One model (the GFS) has really trended warmer while the other (The NAM) switched to colder last night but now while still forecasting plenty of snow has waffled back to a slightly warmer look. The differences in the two models are largely due to the track of the circulation at around 5000 ft, the GFS track takes it right over us which assures the area of being too warm for snow if it is correct. The European model still remains a cold enough run to produce snow especially to the western suburbs but it’s upper level pattern does not look quite as good as yesterday.

Given the time of year and that it often has a little better forecast of the mid level features than the NAM, right now I lean slightly more towards the GFS solution.

and Jason's article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/rare-october-snow-likely-for-dcs-north-and-west-suburbs/2011/10/28/gIQAyqHZPM_blog.html#pagebreak

Remember this is shaping up to be a sharp cutoff storm. And there will be an area where it snows but doesn't accumulate at all...so I would go west of Frederick and Leesburg etc with any accumulating snow...just my opinion

yes....this was never an IMBY storm...If you want to be assured of snow, then travel

I don't know. If anyone has posted this. but here is a statement the HPC posted at 11:00AM EST.

Here are some excerpts:

"WITH RAIN SPREADING ACROSS MOST OF THE MID-ATLANTIC AND SNOW DEVELOPING ACROSS MUCH OF THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF THE CENTRAL APPALACHIANS. BY SATURDAY MORNING...AS COLDER AIR WORKS INTO THE

REGION...THE SNOW WILL SPREAD TO LOWER ELEVATIONS"

"ISOLATED AMOUNTS IN EXCESS OF A FOOT AREPOSSIBLE OVER THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA.LIGHTER SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ARE POSSIBLE FOR THE MAJOR CITIES OFTHE MID-ATLANTIC AND NORTHEAST...INCLUDING WASHINGTOND.C...BALTIMORE...PHILADELPHIA...NEW YORK CITY...AND BOSTON."

"UNCERTAINTY REMAINS AS TO THE EXACT TRACK OF THE SURFACELOW...WHICH WILL DETERMINE EXACTLY WHERE THE HEAVIEST SNOW FALLS."

http://www.hpc.ncep....ns/nfdscc2.html

Also keep in mind ground temperatures are still relatively warm, so a couple of inches could be lost to melting.

Ground temperatures:

curr.t.full.daily.gif

Also keep in mind ground temperatures are still relatively warm, so a couple of inches could be lost to melting.

No, no, no, no...people need to understand how this works. If the snow was falling lightly all day then yes, this could happen. That's not the case in this scenario. If/where it snows, it will likely come down moderately or heavily. That will quickly cool the surface down and snow can accumulate on the surface. Even on the streets, particularly if there is very thick cloud cover, as we are expecting.

Watching the water vapor loop and the most recent track from the gfs and nam does raise some flags for sure. The 2 things I was hoping wouldn't happen appear possible to likely. Track too close and vort amping up to much. You can see the dryslot forming already. Stating the obvious here but it is starting to look like we end up too warm at the beginning and in the dryslot or fringe once 850's crash.

I'm planning on taking a trip to the cunningham falls area of the catoctins and take a nice hike above 1,500'.

No, no, no, no...people need to understand how this works. If the snow was falling lightly all day then yes, this could happen. That's not the case in this scenario. If/where it snows, it will likely come down moderately or heavily. That will quickly cool the surface down and snow can accumulate on the surface. Even on the streets, particularly if there is very thick cloud cover, as we are expecting.

People forget that melting while not as efficient a cooling mechanism as evaporation, does provide cooling of any surface. That's why you put rock salt in the ice around the old time ice cream makers.

People forget that melting while not as efficient a cooling mechanism as evaporation, does provide cooling of any surface. That's why you put rock salt in the ice around the old time ice cream makers.

"No, no, no, no...people need to understand how this works. If the snow was falling lightly all day then yes, this could happen. That's not the case in this scenario. If/where it snows, it will likely come down moderately or heavily. That will quickly cool the surface down and snow can accumulate on the surface. Even on the streets, particularly if there is very thick cloud cover, as we are expecting. "

True, but it will take a unknown amount of snow to cool the ground. Whereas if you have ground temperatures at or below 32F and get instant accumulation.

Archived