Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Tracking the Late October Potential

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all do respect to the NWS-- I tend to believe they run behind a tad when a storm is on us. Big government issue?? HAHA

When model data is creeping warmer and west-- I'd hedge there rather than a late issue snow map.

As the main organ of meteorology in this country, and the best respected, the NWS has got to be sensitive to hype or the perception of hype. One overhyped or ill measured incident and they're hearing from a (currently unsympathetic) congress.

some of the american models last year would waver the day before the storm only to come back the next run or the run after.. but I was also up north at that time.

i spent a decade of winters up there and over half of one down here. sne is a snow magnet comparatively. you have to throw out all your rules from up there for the most part. sure a storm or two here and there will go against the grain but most dont.

let's wait on the JMA before freaking out...

How can someone freak out unless they had locked into expectations in the 1st place?....the only people who should potentially be "upset" are those in places well north and west of DC and/or with elevation..and that is only if they end up getting really screwed....even with the sick NAM runs, anyone sensible was still calling for T-1" for most of DC metro....

i've been completely consistent in my thoughts for the most part. a euro/gfs blend is almost always a good call. but the gfs makes plenty of sense.

For the Balto/DC metro area:

Nothing more than a non-event until after 3 pm Saturday when...

The 21Z GFS shows the 0C line at 850 reaching the western Chesapeake Bay and when that happens, the changeover will be nearly complete...

...simply put, rain for most in the morning and then flakes mixing in around or after noon and then all snow around 4 pm but not accummulating

until sunset and then the precip. shuts off by about 10 pm.

So...about three accummulating hours except for outlying north and west.

Climo tells us the mid-level moisture shuts off as the entire column cools this early in the season.

Possibilities for a light snowfall was on the table today (and still are until euro/uk) for a large part of this sub forum... I am naturally interested if that happens (as should be others)..

where you live you should have never been invested one way or the other, other than hoping for the real possibility of seeing some flakes....and that may still happen....this was never an IMBY storm.....this was a storm to follow out of interest in weather if you live in somewhat close in burbs below say 600'

How can someone freak out unless they had locked into expectations in the 1st place?....the only people who should potentially be "upset" are those in places well north and west of DC and/or with elevation..and that is only if they end up getting really screwed....even with the sick NAM runs, anyone sensible was still calling for T-1" for most of DC metro....

no argument there. super rare events that never happen are super rare for a reason. i still have no real clue what will happen but im generally planning on wet ground as i have been imby at least.

Archived