Monty
Tracking the Late October Potential

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wes should like this.

N and W still look to be the place to be, but even DCA gets in on the fun

The surface temps at 15Z is 35 and change on the NAM and the 700mb temp is like minus 0.6. The above freezing level extends to 950 mb and then it's below freezing. Looks like a snow marginal snow sounding for DC with temps still in the mid 30s at 18Z. IAD looked like they would be snow by 15Z or so based on the soundings I looked at. (the Plymouth ones). As Chris has noted. this is a low confidence forecast no matter where you are forecasting for as it would take very minor changes to the profiles to have them be almost all rain like the GFS or have an extended period of snow like last night's NAM. I'd like to see the GFS waffle back to a more nam like solution.

i still feel ike the nam surface is fooling us but who knows anymore

I think it was Wes that said yesterday he preferred the NAM for LL temps rather than the GFS which I thought was interesting. So if he prefers the NAM, and the EURO is similar, you can put two and two together.

(Again, not sure if it was Wes or not but I know it was a red tag)

I think it was Wes that said yesterday he preferred the NAM for LL temps rather than the GFS which I thought was interesting. So if he prefers the NAM, and the EURO is similar, you can put two and two together.

I said that with the caveat about having the other features like the 500 vort and 850 mb low tracks beign the same. If they are different, I'd probably go with the GFS. If they are almost identical I'd go with the NAM.

I know what he said, that's not quite it. I know people want the coldest scenario here too. ;)

I said that with the caveat about having the other features like the 500 vort and 850 mb low tracks beign the same. If they are different, I'd probably go with the GFS. If they are almost identical I'd go with the NAM.

I know you were pointing to the earlier NAM outputs about them showing some instability. Are we still seeing that with the 12Z?

splitting hairs at this point but interesting to note that the NWS really split up the zones for the winter storm watch. For Hagerstown & Winchester they mention rain/snow mix in the valleys with potential for 5"+ above 1500 feet. For Frederick & Westminster they state say rain changing to snow with 5"+ potential and no mention of elevation. Seems inconsistent.

Along the MD border n of Baltimore over the PHL should do really well, look for tree damage and power outages there Our western guys could have the same problem if the nam is right. The GFS would say no. If the NAM vort track was a little more south I'd have more confidence.

what would you forecast for Leesburg right now? 1-3 inches?

For those wondering why the concern about the 500 vort track, years ago Younkin and Goree did a study on heavy snows during winter and found that on average the heavy snow band ended up being about 150 nm west of the vort track. That doesn't mean there weren't exceptions but means that usually the deformation zone sets up on the north side of the vort. When it goes right over you, you tend to dry slot more often.

Archived