• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Tracking the Late October Potential

stormtracker

November 6-7, 1953: (only 9 days off!) This is the earliest recorded major snowfall (4 or more inches) with 5.9 inches recorded in Baltimore.

From our weather records here at Millersville 17" in York, PA and 13.5 in Lancaster Some guy on a mountain top outside of Harrisburg got 30".

So Its is possible!... but not likely..

post-741-0-09347600-1319809533.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't know if anyone, especially the mets, put any faith in these maps, but I try to see trends in them. FWIW, heres the new probs map.

I think the key feature of all these maps - whether operational models or probability maps - is the sharp cutoff close to I-95. Based on this, I think it's relatively safe to make forecasts for, say, Winchester VA or Hagerstown MD at this point, the problem is just that a couple of degrees difference could make all the difference in DC/Balt when it comes to bust - and the distance between boom and bust is within the model margins of error. Rather than trying to pin down a number, can't we just leave it at 'slight chance of accumulating snow for I-95 areas, with accumulation likelihood and potential increasing to the west and north'?

Closest the 850 line gets to DC is around 16z, looks like it is turning after that. By 18z-19z it is snowing in DC.

Agreed, takes a bit longer to change over than the 6z, but seems to be in line with the ECMWF....great deformation band....

I think the key feature of all these maps - whether operational models or probability maps - is the sharp cutoff close to I-95. Based on this, I think it's relatively safe to make forecasts for, say, Winchester VA or Hagerstown MD at this point, the problem is just that a couple of degrees difference could make all the difference in DC/Balt when it comes to bust - and the distance between boom and bust is within the model margins of error. Rather than trying to pin down a number, can't we just leave it at 'slight chance of accumulating snow for I-95 areas, with accumulation likelihood and potential increasing to the west and north'?

I think you've stated the reason that this is probably a forecasting nightmare for the areas in and around DC. The forecasters face the wrath of an angry public with either forecast (provided its wrong). I do not envy those guys their jobs on this one.

I think you've stated the reason that this is probably a forecasting nightmare for the areas in and around DC. The forecasters face the wrath of an angry public with either forecast (provided its wrong). I do not envy those guys their jobs on this one.

This forecast can make the best look really dumb..i don't envy anyone in that position today...we're talking gradients that even a 12 km mesoscale model like the NAM shouldn't' be expected to be entirely correct.

h5 vort very strong entering SW VA at hr 27 -- http://mag.ncep.noaa...500_vort_ht.gif

At 30 -- http://mag.ncep.noaa...500_vort_ht.gif Looks like its going to go through South Central VA over RIC

Wes should like this.

N and W still look to be the place to be, but even DCA gets in on the fun

This forecast can make the best look really dumb..i don't envy anyone in that position today...we're talking gradients that even a 12 km mesoscale model like the NAM shouldn't' be expected to be entirely correct.

I don't envy the forecasters at all... DC could get nothing to rain to at the most extreme close to warning criteria snows...

Delete this if it's storm-mode-necessary, but this all sounds like an argument for improving the teaching of statistics and probability in our high schools... there should be a Union of Concerned Meterologists pushing this stuff or something. It would lead to massive productivity savings over a lifetime if people understood probability better (especially low probability/high impact) based on reaction to weather alone...

Archived