Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Tracking the Late October Potential

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SREFS are not warmer at 3z than 21z ( I am checking at 12z and 18z tomorrow) at the surface. If anything they are a little colder. There is a bit of warmer temps at 850 in the DC - Balt corridor at 18z on the latest 3z run compared to the 21z run.

So what is Bethesdawx talking about then?

Nobody is doing this............but biases DO factor in and that's why people are less inclined to accept the RGEM warm solution. Also, the SREF's might have a few members skewing the mean. It's not a single model - it's an ENSEMBLE.

I agree they factor in, but that would be easier to say if it were just the canadian models going for the warmer solution. I'm in my freshman year in Atmospheric Science Department at UMD so I still have just a very basic understanding of the models different tendancies and how they operate, but I'm smart enough to know that the SREF is an ensemble :P

To me the euro also does not look as good despite the wundergorund lollipop snow products. The vort is not as far south as it was and does not have as good a track for the dc Baltimore corridor. The 06Z GFS actually is too warm for snow and then dry slots. The NAM still has snow at DCA by 15Z. That the gfs has gone warmer is troublesome. Now I'm glad I'm not writing a piece today. Going to need lots of wishy washy language even though we are only 24 hours away from the event. Hopefully, the 12z models will converge towards each other again. This is reminding me of some of the potential systems last year.

So what is Bethesdawx talking about then?

@ 850mb they're warmer in the Ensemble mean, and since surface will be above freezing most likely, 850mb temps & even below do matter. I think looking at basic QPF maps & surface temps is not the way to go, I just find it hard to see the colder solution verify.

To me the euro also does not look as good despite the wundergorund lollipop snow products. The vort is not as far south as it was and does not have as good a track for the dc Baltimore corridor. The 06Z GFS actually is too warm for snow and then dry slots. The NAM still has snow at DCA by 15Z. That the gfs has gone warmer is troublesome. Now I'm glad I'm not writing a piece today. Going to need lots of wishy washy language even though we are only 24 hours away from the event. Hopefully, the 12z models will converge towards each other again. This is reminding me of some of the potential systems last year.

Wes -- even with the 42 hr map Earthlight gave me earlier in the thread? I thought it looked okay to me

Wes -- even with the 42 hr map Earthlight gave me earlier in the thread? I thought it looked okay to me

I looked at it on the wunderground site and the surface temp at dca looked to be 39 degrees or so through 15Z. The vort also didn't track down near Richmond but looked to me like it was alsmot over us but maybe it's the crappy graphics.

the drift north in the models during the last 36-48 hrs. does seem to be a NINA trait

Posted on Accuweather:

Largest October Snow Events:

--Allentown, Pa.: 2.2 inches on Oct. 31, 1925

--Baltimore, Md.: 2.5 inches on Oct. 30, 1925

--Boston, Mass.: 1.1 inches on Oct. 29, 2005

--Hartford, Conn.: 1.7 inches on Oct. 10, 1979

--Philadelphia, Pa.: 2.1 inches on Oct. 10, 1979

--New York City, N.Y. (Central Park): 0.8 of an inch on Oct. 30, 1925

--Washington, D.C.: 2.0 inches on Oct. 31, 1925

Allentown, Pa., and Hartford, Conn., the cities with the best shot at breaking this record, could also record their first-ever 6-inch or more snowstorm in October.

Also of note, Central Park in New York City has never recorded an inch or more of snow in October since records started being kept in 1869.

I've been so out of the loop -- I literally haven't even looked at a model/forecast/anything since Monday -- have barely even been on the board. Now I wake up to a WSW up here for 4-8," WSW's for Northern MD, "Storm Mode," and a nearly 400 post thread on snow potential. What the hell?

Btw, say what you will, but I'll take our subforum any day of the week.

Archived