Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Tracking the Late October Potential

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In looking at the 00z Euro thru accuwx-pro, it is definitely much colder than the GFS, the GFS/RGEM are both warm and they're both good models from what I hear. I'm torn, but it's 1 day out now...

The Canadian models tend to run a little warm. GFS might be wrong or it might be on to something; hard to tell. In seasons past, a Euro/NAM agreement was usually a lock, but I've recently seen the GFS school them both so who knows...

The Canadian models tend to run a little warm. GFS might be wrong or it might be on to something; hard to tell. In seasons past, a Euro/NAM agreement was usually a lock, but I've recently seen the GFS school them both so who knows...

Thanks, agree def tough, one of them is way off. I hope the GFS is on crack but I have an unscientific feeling it might be onto something. Now would be a great time for another 12/26 blunder..

I hear they're good, they trended warmer from 00z to 06Z. So SREF/RGEM/GFS all warm, UKMETEURO/NAM all colder. This just 1 day out, pretty insane.

It's not like they are polar opposites though. They just vary on temps by an amount that matters. They are not extremely far apart. Just enough to make a difference. This would be similar to having a situation of models forecasting 45 and rain vs 40 and rain. It just happens to be that we are talking about more of a precarious line to walk.

How many times do we have to tell you that the Canadian models tend to run warm?

I never denied that, nor did I deny that the Euro has a warm surface bias, but the GFS is warmer than both the RGEM & SREF which is why I brought it up. The fact that just because they tend to run warm doesn't mean they're on crack. Just picking the coldest models seems like superficial analysis, you could find a reason why any of the models could be wrong versus the other.

As many times as we have to tell him that he will not experience damaging winds

;)

Thanks, love ya :wub:

My thinking exactly. What I did look at were the snow probability maps at 3z, and they look good for areas west of the Blue Ridge, perhaps a bit east. But DC and Baltimore are truly right on the edge of good/nothing.

The forecasting services have to definitely be relatively fearful of this one... Could get a white surprise in the dc/balt area.. or absolutely nothing

I never denied that, nor did I deny that the Euro has a warm surface bias, but the GFS is warmer than both the RGEM & SREF which is why I brought it up. The fact that just because they tend to run warm doesn't mean they're on crack. Just picking the coldest models seems like superficial analysis, you could find a reason why any of the models could be wrong versus the other.

No but it tends to run warm. Which is why they are warmer then the other models. I don't get your point.

Nobody is doing this............but biases DO factor in and that's why people are less inclined to accept the RGEM warm solution. Also, the SREF's might have a few members skewing the mean. It's not a single model - it's an ENSEMBLE.

No but it tends to run warm. Which is why they are warmer then the other models. I don't get your point.

No worries I'm not going to clutter up the thread with my freshman Atmos-Sci knowledge. I guess I feel that given the GFS & the alternative Ukie & NAM which have their own issues that the RGEM & SREF have some support from the American Global model which doesn't have the warm-bias. I don't want to take the NAM or Euro verbatim yet is the point.

Thanks, love ya :wub:

Who said it was "on crack"? Who is picking the coldest models just because?

Archived