Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Tracking the Late October Potential

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's say we get 4 inches at Dulles ...that would count for 2011-12 winter right? We would be above normal snow till January 10 or simething

well, if we are stuck clinging onto AN snowfall for the season until 1/10, then we got problems because that assumes we get nothing else between then and now

OK, it could just be something that will correct itself after ingestion of 12Z data....unless it's right and the NAM and Euro are wrong

I know they say the off hour runs are still fairly accurate but it is hard not to want to toss them out when they make these jumps in either track or temps

Well...if the 6z NAM is right I think the picture of my trees in the leaf thread will be my only evidence that i had trees....17" lol...cut it in half? 8.5"....cut that in half? 4"? cut that in half?....how many times are you supposed to do that? 0z GFS had a nice thump here with a fair amount of qpf and 2m temps 32-33....haven't seen the 6z yet....euro looked fine to me...UKMET as well...seems like flakes in the air and grill coverage are close to a lock.....maybe

Well...if the 6z NAM is right I think the picture of my trees in the leaf thread will be my only evidence that i had trees....17" lol...cut it in half? 8.5"....cut that in half? 4"? cut that in half?....how many times are you supposed to do that? 0z GFS had a nice thump here with a fair amount of qpf and 2m temps 32-33....haven't seen the 6z yet....euro looked fine to me...UKMET as well...seems like flakes in the air and grill coverage are close to a lock.....maybe

Say goodbye to your stock at your store :( The masses attack the stores starting this morning I bet.

Looks like some good snow at bwi post changeover, no?

Not really...the 6z GFS is a warm mess...we end up going to something like +3 (850 hPa) at 12z on Saturday....even when the surface temperatures crash, there's still a bit of a warm layer at 18z between 750 hPa and 900 hPa so we lose most of the deformation to rain....whereas the 6z NAM stays sub-freezing at 850 hPa and the 0z ECMWF only gets to about 0 to +1C at 850 hPA on Saturday at 12z and both are -3 to -4 C at 850 hPa at 18z.

Not really...the 6z GFS is a warm mess...we end up going to something like +3 (850 hPa) at 12z on Saturday....even when the surface temperatures crash, there's still a bit of a warm layer at 18z between 750 hPa and 900 hPa so we lose most of the deformation to rain....whereas the 6z NAM stays sub-freezing at 850 hPa and the 0z ECMWF only gets to about 0 to +1C at 850 hPA on Saturday at 12z and both are -3 to -4 C at 850 hPa at 18z.

Do you have any opinions on what model you'd give more weight? Just 24hrs out and huge differences between the NAM & GFS, Euro maybe in the middle but closer to the NAM from the looks of the 540 line?

last year, the GFS routinely was too far west with the precip

remember 12/26? NAM never budged in this range in NOT giving us anything and the GFS was as much as 10"+ for mby

I think the GFS is just the GFS, great run or two, then fumbles, catches back on, then another fumble

and this is not because I don't like the solution, but because it did this to us all last year...came too far west with systems/precip shields

Do you have any opinions on what model you'd give more weight?

Not right now...you can make the argument that the NAM and ECMWF have superior spatial/vertical resolution to the GFS, something that might make a difference in a marginal event for some. The WAA in the GFS is just much stronger (over our region) than either the NAM and ECMWF and the dynamical cooling isn't sufficient in the GFS to wash out all the warm layer before the precipitation moves out...i still think we still a changeover for some period of time in all three, so i'm comfortable saying we have a good chance at seeing a snowflake at DCA and BWI.

No I mean bwi post changeover on the nam soundings.

last year, the GFS routinely was too far west with the precip

remember 12/26? NAM never budged in this range in NOT giving us anything and the GFS was as much as 10"+ for mby

I think the GFS is just the GFS, great run or two, then fumbles, catches back on, then another fumble

and this is not because I don't like the solution, but because it did this to us all last year...came too far west with systems/precip shields

i remember, let's see what the 12z guidance does...

Not right now...you can make the argument that the NAM and ECMWF have superior spatial/vertical resolution to the GFS, something that might make a difference in a marginal event for some. The WAA in the GFS is just much stronger (over our region) than either the NAM and ECMWF and the dynamical cooling isn't sufficient in the GFS to wash out all the warm layer before the precipitation moves out...i still think we still a changeover for some period of time in all three, so i'm comfortable saying we have a good chance at seeing a snowflake at DCA and BWI.

Thanks a bunch. By 12z today perhaps we take things more verbatim model-wise?

Archived