Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
First Winter Storm Threat (Oct 27/28) for New England 2011/12 - III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, being born would have helped..3" in New Canaan for this event...great stuff as a 13 year old burgeoning weenie. All of it fell during mid morning and early afternoon...

If this is the same event, I was just thinking of it earlier today. I was in New London at the time and had stayed home from school sick (probably faking it). I was so excited and thinking what an awesome winter we'd have. I have a vivid recollection of my mom telling me it was hardly snow and was little more than "white rain". White Rain is about as good as one can get in SE CT.

GFS clown map....lol. That's what a torched BL will do

So I was guess I was way off earlier....

lol.. Kevin better put his shovel away and get the rain gauge out on the GFS..... everyone for that matter. Could this turn into a NNE snowstorm AWOT

What are you talking about...the GFS looks like a lot of other guidance.

Do you think maybe your monitor was upside down when you were viewing it?

No Kev... maybe your monitor was upside down.

If this is the same event, I was just thinking of it earlier today. I was in New London at the time and had stayed home from school sick (probably faking it). I was so excited and thinking what an awesome winter we'd have. I have a vivid recollection of my mom telling me it was hardly snow and was little more than "white rain". White Rain is about as good as one can get in SE CT.

I think it might be the same, Mike. I don't think it was forecasted anywhere at the time, but sure enough it snowed pretty darn hard for several hours that day. NC sits at various elevations, ranging from 300' up to 600', so we cashed in. Of course the rest of that winter sucked, but it was balls cold and of course the "Miracle on Ice" happened, so not too bad.

It's weird to see Ryan to be one of the most enthusiastic about a storm lol.

What did you say on your broadcast for Saturday? Do you think there are chances we get accumulating snow out of it or probably just a scraper?

Wasn't doing wx tonight. Too early to get into specifics when everyone is interested in tomorrow right now.

Folks have been speaking of the impact the warm ground will have as a limiting factor for accumulaiton. Here we are 18-24 hours out and check out these temps. Ouch.

The main problem this time of year is that the subsurface soil temps are still warm. This time of year we're normally in the step down process of slowly cooling those 6" soil temps. The lowest my 6" soil temp has been this season was this morning and that was 50F. Obviously with cold enough temps and heavy rates that can be overcome (Foxboro a couple years ago), but it's tough to do in October in the lower els.

We'll have latent heating/cooling processes occurring too. I think I've seen a few mention already how melting snow can cool the column. On the flip side, anyone with a wet ground that gets down to 32F will be having that water begin to freeze which is actually latent heating. There's a reason why columns often end up at an isothermal 0C or 2m temps across a region can all be near 32F.

Anyways, I digress...hopefully you make out well down there. I think I'll end up < 1" and haven't ruled out the possibility of no accums at all imby.

I think I'll be close to the first to see flakes...the campus of Hampshire Country School is really a cold place. I hope it occurs from 12:15 to 1:40, which is lunch and prep period, when I can use the Internet. Otherwise, I'll be stuck in my classroom with no Internet. I am a bit worried about how warm the 18z GFS is, mostly a rainstorm for the Monadnocks. Definitely thinking 1-3" is a good call with lollipops to 4".

My question is which ASOS station is going to record moderate snow, and is any unmanned weather station going to register a heavy snow +SN in this?

Sometimes you can get some impressive reduced visibilities if its big flake wet snow... other times you get wet needles (or something like that, haha) where steady 0.1"/hr pcpn turns out to be 2-3sm -SN. Hopefully there are a bunch of reports of 1" diameter air filled with flakes. :snowman:

Pete stopped posting for a while as he's wiring up his snow magnet to draw the Saturday system in.

I now have it powered with a new solar array and banks of batteries to hold the charge wants the clouds and precip move in. A wonderfully efficient system. I did the first power up yesterday and boom, instant results.

Naw... he is chillin with his peeps in OT

Or it's reading hour here and I was reading to my 6 yo.

Archived