BlueSkyGA
Which Minor Do You Suggest?

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which Minor?

• Computer Science
    • Geographic Information Science
    • Neither is useful
    • I'll tell you in my post

I have advising tomorrow for second semester, and while there's almost no flexibility for freshmen, I wanted to at least introduce the idea of a minor in something to my advisor. Which do you think is better, considering I want to go to grad school, and I generally want to be an operational met (rather than a researcher)?

Oh and please don't derail this into another thread about how few jobs there are in meteorology, I've read enough of that by now. Thanks.

I have advising tomorrow for second semester, and while there's almost no flexibility for freshmen, I wanted to at least introduce the idea of a minor in something to my advisor. Which do you think is better, considering I want to go to grad school, and I generally want to be an operational met (rather than a researcher)?

Oh and please don't derail this into another thread about how few jobs there are in meteorology, I've read enough of that by now. Thanks.

Computer science is always a good one; there is so much that is easier to understand if you can program and understand programs.

Math/Geography/Computer science. One of these 3 or even a combo of a couple depending on how many credits you are willing to take per semester.

Agree.

GIS is nice, but if you're going into forecasting, computer science can be a huge advantage as you're learning skills that would be much more applicable to operational forecasting. You're looking at learning how to use different interfaces, understanding what process the models go through in order to produce the output that they do, and it gives you the ability to create or improve products (such as adding scripts and altering graphics).

MATH

And I repeat...

MATH

It's extremely malleable, and an excellent skill that can be transferred to another area or discipline. It can also contribute and significantly boost your ability to do independent critical thinking. Also useful for fact checking. I could go on and on all day, but... you get the point.

Teach yourself the computer languages on your own. Learning that stuff at your own pace and on your own terms is very important, in my opinion.

With regards to the math, make sure you ask around about the department and the professors first. Quality of teaching in this subject makes all the difference in the world.

I would also add to those that said Math or Computer Science. Learning a scripting language can be very valuable for operational mets (from what I'm told).

If you have an inkling that you might want to go in a more research based direction, then consider a physics minor. Likely you will be only a few credits short anyway.

Good luck!!

I would also add that, given the major and potential minor, you might as well add a math minor to it since you would likely only need 1 or 2 more math courses to finish the minor.

I agree with minoring both in computer science and mathematics if you have the time. Especially since you are planning this out as a freshman you have some flexibility in trying to adjust your schedule for both minors. I would also add that if you have time to take a basic introduction to GIS course to take it. I took just a basic entry level GIS course and it has really helped me in my line of work. Best of luck to you!

I agree with minoring both in computer science and mathematics if you have the time. Especially since you are planning this out as a freshman you have some flexibility in trying to adjust your schedule for both minors. I would also add that if you have time to take a basic introduction to GIS course to take it. I took just a basic entry level GIS course and it has really helped me in my line of work. Best of luck to you!

Adding the second minor after freshman year can get a little complicated... I decided to do the double math/comp sci minor sophomore year and had to take a summer class to keep on schedule. That may have just been they way the class schedules worked out at Albany, though, as I have not heard others running into this problem yet.

Valpo automatically gives us a Math minor with a Met major, thumbsupsmileyanim.gif although I've had people tell me that I should look into taking Partial Diff Eq also (which I laugh when type since I'm only in Calc 1 right now, but anyway...) as a good jumping-off point for grad school.

I learned the basics of Java last year and have the credit for the AP Comp Sci, so that should help, although I'm also slowly forgetting my Java since I didn't keep up with it after the final project for that class.

Thanks guys, really appreciate this.

Valpo automatically gives us a Math minor with a Met major, thumbsupsmileyanim.gif although I've had people tell me that I should look into taking Partial Diff Eq also (which I laugh when type since I'm only in Calc 1 right now, but anyway...) as a good jumping-off point for grad school.

I learned the basics of Java last year and have the credit for the AP Comp Sci, so that should help, although I'm also slowly forgetting my Java since I didn't keep up with it after the final project for that class.

Partial Diffy = meh unless you're going into research or you want to do it to finish the minor (for those who don't already have the math minor locked in). I'd rather take a physics waves course :P

If you already have a Math minor...go Comp Sci because in grad school you'll essentially be an applied computer scientist. Although GIS is going to becoming increasingly used in operational forecasting.

I'd say computer science if you can tolerate it. GIS is cool but maybe not as directly useful.

As an aside, the whole math minor thing annoys me. Here at Rutgers we have to take the standard course progression (Calc I-III and Diff. Eq.) along with a statistics course (that is technically counted under Environmental Science, but I digress) but even with that we need three more courses to get a math minor (Linear Algebra, PDE, and another course). I don't understand how other schools can automatically grant a meteorology major a math minor unless their school requires way more for a met major than I'm aware of...

MATH

And I repeat...

MATH

It's extremely malleable, and an excellent skill that can be transferred to another area or discipline. It can also contribute and significantly boost your ability to do independent critical thinking. Also useful for fact checking. I could go on and on all day, but... you get the point.

Teach yourself the computer languages on your own. Learning that stuff at your own pace and on your own terms is very important, in my opinion.

With regards to the math, make sure you ask around about the department and the professors first. Quality of teaching in this subject makes all the difference in the world.

This... I completely agree with all points, especially the bolded part. If you have any desire to first go into grad school, you need excellent math experience through Differential Equations.

I'd say computer science if you can tolerate it. GIS is cool but maybe not as directly useful.

As an aside, the whole math minor thing annoys me. Here at Rutgers we have to take the standard course progression (Calc I-III and Diff. Eq.) along with a statistics course (that is technically counted under Environmental Science, but I digress) but even with that we need three more courses to get a math minor (Linear Algebra, PDE, and another course). I don't understand how other schools can automatically grant a meteorology major a math minor unless their school requires way more for a met major than I'm aware of...

That doesn't sound that much different from what I went through... my math minor consisted of Calc I-III, DE, PDE, Linear Algebra, and Calc Based Stats. The reason why you see so many met majors fulfilling most or all of the requirements of a math minor is because all the same skills are needed, especially if you have any intention to go into grad school. If your school's met department doesn't require the necessary math in its curriculum, you will have a very rough go of it in grad school.

This... I completely agree with all points, especially the bolded part. If you have any desire to first go into grad school, you need excellent math experience through Differential Equations.

That doesn't sound that much different from what I went through... my math minor consisted of Calc I-III, DE, PDE, Linear Algebra, and Calc Based Stats. The reason why you see so many met majors fulfilling most or all of the requirements of a math minor is because all the same skills are needed, especially if you have any intention to go into grad school. If your school's met department doesn't require the necessary math in its curriculum, you will have a very rough go of it in grad school.

Oh yeah, I get that. (And while I've taken Calc I-III and Diff. Eq. for now, you're making me nervous about graduate school :blink:). I just vaguely remember hearing about other schools that grant you a math minor automatically with the meteorology degree - as their requirements for a math minor are apparently much lower?

Oh yeah, I get that. (And while I've taken Calc I-III and Diff. Eq. for now, you're making me nervous about graduate school :blink:). I just vaguely remember hearing about other schools that grant you a math minor automatically with the meteorology degree - as their requirements for a math minor are apparently much lower?

It depends what you do in grad school. The classes weren't much harder than undergrad, but the amount of work was. Most of the people I went to grad school with basically had to become computer scientists to get all the work and research done. We didn't need any more math than we did in our undergrad courses.

• 1 month later...

MATH

And I repeat...

MATH

I agree with this fully. Extend this to include work in statistics, as well, if possible.

Frankly, Valpo is the only institution of which I've heard that grants the math minor with only the "standard" math course sequence (Calculus I to ODEs)--which, in essence, is an automatic minor for MET majors. My situation at Northern Illinois University is more similar to yours ... to take the minor in mathematics, the applied track, we have to take the Calculus I-to-ODEs sequence, either Linear Algebra (with proof) or calculus-based Elementary Statistics--I chose Linear Algebra, and a 400-level math course from a choice of half a dozen or so--I chose PDEs.

To a more general audience, my feelings on specific course-work for a math minor:

--If you plan to attend graduate school and particularly if you plan to do research more on the dynamics side of the science or plan to attend one of the more "prestigious" programmes, take PDEs. In fact, you may be required to in this case--if not as an undergrad, as a grad student. However, I advise seeking out a PDEs course that is specifically tailored to scientists or engineers. That is, seek out one with an applied flavour. A PDEs course taught from a theoretical perspective would not be of much use to you beyond, perhaps, honing your reasoning skills.

--Take a Linear Algebra or Matrix Theory course. Again, try to seek out a course that emphasizes application over theory. Linear Algebra can be taught in a very abstract fashion.

--Take advanced statistics courses. Pick ones that focus on modelling, time series, and other topics that strike you as relevant to common meteorological/climatological problems.

--See if you can learn MATLAB in some fashion. It seems useful and widely used. Hence, it is a goal of mine to learn it at some point in the near future before I graduate in the spring.

Frankly, Valpo is the only institution of which I've heard that grants the math minor with only the "standard" math course sequence (Calculus I to ODEs)--which, in essence, is an automatic minor for MET majors. My situation at Northern Illinois University is more similar to yours ... to take the minor in mathematics, the applied track, we have to take the Calculus I-to-ODEs sequence, either Linear Algebra (with proof) or calculus-based Elementary Statistics--I chose Linear Algebra, and a 400-level math course from a choice of half a dozen or so--I chose PDEs.

To a more general audience, my feelings on specific course-work for a math minor:

--If you plan to attend graduate school and particularly if you plan to do research more on the dynamics side of the science or plan to attend one of the more "prestigious" programmes, take PDEs. In fact, you may be required to in this case--if not as an undergrad, as a grad student. However, I advise seeking out a PDEs course that is specifically tailored to scientists or engineers. That is, seek out one with an applied flavour. A PDEs course taught from a theoretical perspective would not be of much use to you beyond, perhaps, honing your reasoning skills.

--Take a Linear Algebra or Matrix Theory course. Again, try to seek out a course that emphasizes application over theory. Linear Algebra can be taught in a very abstract fashion.

--Take advanced statistics courses. Pick ones that focus on modelling, time series, and other topics that strike you as relevant to common meteorological/climatological problems.

--See if you can learn MATLAB in some fashion. It seems useful and widely used. Hence, it is a goal of mine to learn it at some point in the near future before I graduate in the spring.

Plymouth State also grants the math minor to those who major in meteorology. The math course sequence required for met (Calc I, II, III, Diffy Q, and Intro Stats) is enough for the technical math minor at Plymouth.

Computer science is probably the best additional thing to minor (or double major) in. CS and programming skills are becoming increasingly "sexy" in the field and will make you much more attractive as a candidate for the few jobs that are out there. In addition, CS skills can be easily transferred to another field if you don't find a met job. I really wish I had double majored, or at least minored, in CS as an undergrad. I am now trying to take some CS courses locally to enhance my skill set and make myself more marketable not only in met, but outside of it as well.

I'm surprised this thread got resurrected.

My adviser suggested GIS over CS, and when the NWS roadshow came through a few weeks ago, the MIC at LOT listed GIS as slightly more desirable to him than CS, but also said that CS courses (especially web design and Java for AWIPS II) are very good things to have.

So my plan as of now (which is definitely optimistic) is to get the GIS minor, take PDE and/or Stat (hopefully both if I can make it all fit) in addition to the Math minor (idk anything about these subjects, but at Valpo Linear Algebra is listed in the same course as DiffEq) and finally tack on a Java class so that I have at least enough to go off later.

The other thing that drove me choose GIS (though I technically haven't declared anything yet) is that I've always loved maps, whereas I hated my AP Java class last year.

Archived