• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    g0ldl10n
    Newest Member
    g0ldl10n
Aussie (& S-Hemisphere) Cyclone Action 2011-2012

Hate to bag a colleague, but yep, very lame reporting (if it wasn't Xmas, read TC Tracey... it would have got three pars on P6) . The only excuse was a few days ago the Bom boss of the NT said Cat 3 was a possibility... but that was not reported (doesn't mean the subs didn't hack it).

Anyway.. where it goes as a low (and how it re-intensifies in the gulf) is now of more interest.

Agreed-- I think the real story might be later in the week, when it gets in the Gulf.

The Euro still has it reintensifying, but not a much as previously.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grant has slowly intensified to 982 mb/50 kt (10-min)-- a Cat 2 on the Aussie scale (very strong TS on ours). It's moving S on a track that will take if across the Cobourg Peninsula and into the Van Diemen Gulf Monday. This is an area of parks and wilderness-- no towns-- so I don't think any people or settlements are actually threatened.

Darwin may get gales as the center passes to the E. I noticed on radar that strong rainbands have been sweeping over the city.

post-19-0-62056100-1324814828.gif

Did you see the latest microwave? If it had stayed over water, it was going to blow up fast. In any case, given the weak steering currents, I'm siding with the slower Euro solution this morning and bringing it ashore on the Cape York as a S-S Cat 1/AUS Cat 3.

I didn't see it! Can you post it, please? I can't cuz I'm on my iPad.

Too bad. I hate when this happens-- i.e., when a system meanders over water for a week, and then when it finally starts to look hawt, it moves ashore before it can reach its potential. Grrrr.

Merry Christmas to my tropical dude bro, by the way.

I didn't see it! Can you post it, please? I can't cuz I'm on my iPad.

Too bad. I hate when this happens-- i.e., when a system meanders over water for a week, and then when it finally starts to look hawt, it moves ashore before it can reach its potential. Grrrr.

Merry Christmas to my tropical dude bro, by the way.

20111225.1113.f18.x.91h_1deg.03SGRANT.40kts-993mb-107S-1327E.84pc.jpg

And a happy sixth day of Hanukkah to you, homes.

Very religiously put. Merry Xmas etc to all. Seems the models are fighting re this one. General consensus is a Cape crossing into the Coral Sea later this week.

I'd back EC and AccessR on this one.

Agreed. The Euro is looking less exciting on recent runs-- the cyclone looks less intense in the Gulf.

P.S. Adam and I aren't religious dudes-- just trading holiday politeness.

Grant is making landfall E of Point Stuart-- in the middle of nowhere-- as a Cat 1 (i.e., weak TS). The advice warns "coastal residents near the eastern Van Diemen Gulf", but I'm not sure any such residents exist. This area is pretty-much wilderness.

As discussed above, the system should drift E over the next couple of days and spill out into the Gulf of Carpentaria, where we may see a more interesting Part 2 to this story. (This having been said, I should note that the Euro has grown less enthused Re: regeneration prospects with each run over the last day or so.)

post-19-0-01181000-1324853352.gif

Is that where it's heading? Why is it such a lame prognosis at peak season? Is this the new N Atlantic?

I have no idea. It's not like the "MJO" hasn't been favorable for the last month, either. I started forecasting an active Aussie season at the beginning of December because of the large scale environmental factors. Well, I was right on the environment (it's been great for 4 weeks and will continue to be for another 2), but totally wrong on genesis. You got me.

Archived