Most Online
    happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
Aussie (& S-Hemisphere) Cyclone Action 2011-2012

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cyclone Jasmine has formed from a well-defined low in the Coral Sea. The system actually originated in the Gulf of Carpentaria and tracked E across Cape York Peninsula before spilling out into the Coral Sea. It will continue to move away from Queensland.

"Jasmine" is a pretty name for cheap fish food.

post-19-0-76282300-1328370813.gif

JTWC has Jasmine up to Cat 3 (US). It's probably somewhere between 90-100 kts.

Oh. Hey.

I also notice the forecast now brings it up to 110 kt-- way more bullish than previous forecasts. They have it threading ESE, between the islands.

The BoM is no longer issuing advices, as the cyclone has moved E of 160E. Now it's in Fiji's region of responsibility-- and I'm too lazy to check their forecast.

Jasmine is up to 110 kt, as per the JTWC, and currently located about halfway between Port Vila and Noumea.

The latest forecast now brings it up to Cat 4 (USA) within the next 12 hr, followed by steady weakening.

Yep. Jasmine is up to a fake Cat 4 and this should be near peak intensity.

Looks like Giovanna will bisect Madagascar.

Thanks for pointing that out-- I hadn't been paying attention to it!

The JTWC forecast brings it ashore very near Madagascar's main seaport, Toamasina (pop. 179K), with winds of 100 kt. Definitely something to track over the next few days.

In other news, Jasmine is slowly unraveling in the SPAC.

post-19-0-18057000-1328866967.gif

Back to Giovanna... As per the latest JTWC warning, the cyclone is now a hurricane, with winds of 65 kt. The new forecast is even more ominous, bringing a 110-kt cyclone almost right over Madagascar's main seaport, Toamasina, in ~48 hr.

EDIT: I misread the forecast. It brings the cyclone ashore a bit weaker (95 kt) in ~72 hr. Oops!

Back to Giovanna... As per the latest JTWC warning, the cyclone is now a hurricane, with winds of 65 kt. The new forecast is even more ominous, bringing a 110-kt cyclone almost right over Madagascar's main seaport, Toamasina, in ~48 hr.

It's up to 110 now and bombing out. Has a chance to be Cat 5 by tomorrow.

20120210.1900.meteo7.x.ir1km.12SGIOVANNA.110kts-941mb-160S-610E.100pc.jpg

Archived