• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
Aussie (& S-Hemisphere) Cyclone Action 2011-2012

80% -- I don't know why I'm answering, as it's not like I have any clients there that really care

I'm not paying anybody anything, but if our intrepid cyclone hunter flies to Australia and gets his first Southern hemisphere intercept, you will have a place of gratitude in our hearts

post-138-0-33784100-1327670417.jpg

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha ha ha, I wish! This setup is way too much of a gamble to fly to another continent for. Yasi last year was a perfect example of a good setup for a long-distance chase.

The latest JTWC forecast still keeps the cyclone offshore-- showing it recurving just a hair W of the Cape with winds of 100 kt (1-min) in ~96 hr.

As the trough to it's south bypasses the cyclone, there's a good chance that the steering currents will collapse, that would be a nightmare scenario for the towns in the warning area. Also, it looks like shear will be very favorable for intensification, though if the cyclone wanders just off the coast for more than a day, that would weaken it before landfall.

I'm sure residents in the Gascoyne are thinking back to Cyclone Vance of 1999. The powerful cyclone came S, right down Exmouth Gulf, to make landfall as a Cat 5 (Cat 4 on our scale), with winds of ~120 kt (1-min). The Learmonth Meteorological Office measured a gust to a whopping 144 kt as the eye passed just a hair to the E, and they were measuring sustained winds at this time near 97 kt (10-min). It was an intense and damaging storm.

Here's some raw video footage from Exmouth, which was in the right (weaker) eyewall and got really raked. There are some cool shots in between the ones of the chaser dude doing stuff with rope and claiming to be standing in sustained winds of 250 km/hr (135 kt)-- which of course he wasn't. (You can't stand still holding a mike in an actual sustained hurricane wind, let alone 135 kt!) Still a cool video, though. There's a Part 2 which shows really heavy wind damage all around the area.

Following the 12z guidance the BOM has shifted the track well west of the previous advisory:

p0kkW.gif

The 18z GFS, which at 12z was in the left side of the guidance, is a bit right now, and scrapes the Exmouth peninsula... very close to what the 12z Euro showed.

Yeah GFS pretty well nailed it too, none of the 20 ensemble members had it getting below about 975Hpa in any update as they never predicted the alignment of the upper ridging over the LLCC (something the EC was hell bent on and something that never eventuated)

I normally look at the EC ensemble when making chase decisions, I'm glad for our team's sake I went with GFS for this one and saved us all about $5000. What a dismal start of the year to our Aussie cyclone chasing endeavours. Let's hope Feb - Apr will end with a bang. Looks like the next Coral Sea system will either be

(A) a fish

(B) just a really intense monsoon LOW OR

© All of the above.

www.ozcyclonechasers.com

So it looks like we have a few chances for development this week, but nothing particularly interesting. One tropical storm will form from the Invest near Vanuatu and curve southward along 160E while boomer's storm will form in the Coral Sea and head due east toward Vanuatu or New Caledonia.

Thanks, Adam, for watering the discussion. The prospects are so bleak I honestly couldn't muster the energy to post an update about them. But, just from a climo perspective, things should improve. We're just about to enter February, which is sort of like Oz's "September".

For the period 1970-2010, here are the approximate total numbers of Oz landfalls of Severe Tropical Cyclones (Cat 3 or greater), by month:

Nov: 2

Dec: 17

Jan: 9

Feb: 22

Mar: 22

Apr: 8

I say "approximate" because the BoM doesn't have official landfall stats like the NHC does, so I had to dig up the data manually-- and there are always borderline cases, etc.

Anyhoo, we're entering peak season now. The next two months are the zone. Let's see some action!

Archived