Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
New radar app for Android

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, All.

I can't wait for this app!

In the meantime, I've developed a crazier use for something you all might find pretty useful.

On one of my android homescreens, i have FOUR live udpating html web images: SPC Day 1 Convective Outlook, SPC Day 2 Convective Outlook, Current Watches/Warnings, Storm reports.

All those images update every so often, and you can even plug in the source html code from Wunderground to have your local RADAR site constantly updating as a widget on your homescreen.

If you then have LauncherPro Plus, you can customize the size of each of your live updating images. It's Awesome!

Hello, All.

In the meantime, I've developed a crazier use for something you all might find pretty useful.

On one of my android homescreens, i have FOUR live udpating html web images: SPC Day 1 Convective Outlook, SPC Day 2 Convective Outlook, Current Watches/Warnings, Storm reports.

All those images update every so often, and you can even plug in the source html code from Wunderground to have your local RADAR site constantly updating as a widget on your homescreen.

If you then have LauncherPro Plus, you can customize the size of each of your live updating images. It's Awesome!

Oh, and I'm an EasternusWx 2+ year guy...I was slugger393 over there.

Hello, All.

How do you get this on there? Do you have to have a home screen replacement app?

How do you get this on there? Do you have to have a home screen replacement app?

Download webcam widget from the android app market.

Long press on your home screen to add webcam widget as a widget.

Click on the widget to choose the html code for the picture you want to display.

It's meant to grab an html SRC file from the internet every so often, but I've had it fetch .img, .gif, .jpeg...

so, where it says "enter the image url:" type:

spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.gif

Other than the feature queue that's listed at pykl3radar.com/queue.php , What other things would people like to see in the future?

teaser.png

Joe

It sounds like that since you're working on using the AllisonHouse scripts, this will be covered, but a METAR overlay might be nice. BUT... give the users an option to use the Wunderground stations, they have an API that would allow a user to select NWS, PWS, airports, pretty much whatever station(s) you wanted to use. Don't do like GRLevel3 where there is one placefile, allow the placefile to be saved with a radar site so you can have different settings for each site.

Of course you might not have ANY plans for any of this at all! smile.gif

Don't do like GRLevel3 where there is one placefile, allow the placefile to be saved with a radar site so you can have different settings for each site.

Of course you might not have ANY plans for any of this at all! smile.gif

Things like METAR support, and more, are things that I'd like to do in the future as time allows. Thank you for your suggestion. I'll definitely keep that in mind as I evolve the product.

For those of you with tablets or other devices that don't do Android Market or Appslib, I have created a download link to the free demo version (limited to Key West at this time) on the pykl3radar.com web page. Give it a try!

A treat for the PYKL3 Radar users. I've modified and uploaded the FREE version such that, upon upgrade, the default (and only radar supported) will be Little Rock for tomorrow's risk. There's no guarantee that the free version will stay there, but I figured that more people could better evaluate the program tomorrow and to say thanks for all the support!

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your input. A number of the features you mention are in the works. I should clarify that I do not release beta software to the public. What I do release, are updated versions as the product evolves. No different than any other program that evolves over time. This way, the users have more input and it becomes more meaningful and useful to them over time. Even Microsoft started with DOS and computers started with vacuum tubes. Have to start somewhere.

The evaluation version (and, albeit quite short evaluation period that Google provides) is intended for you to ensure it meets your needs. If it does not, I respect that decision. I don't want anyone to have to spend their hard earned money on a program in which users do not see value.

Joe

No, what I mean is to change the intention of your free version from being something that proves the software works into android's best free radar application. What I see is a very specialized niche product that given your current course of marketing, 99.9% of android users will never hear of.. you'll get $5 here or there. On the other hand if you have the best free ad-supported or "lite" radar app you stand to reach a much larger audience and have much greater revenue.

Many apps are ad supported, if you do that, even free users end up as revenue for you. Others have many features disabled and up-sell the pay version via the free one. You can combine those tactics too. End result is more people are using your software, some of those are likely to purchase the full version. As long as delivering your free product isn't costly to you these freemium/adware models make alot of sense.

If you are a great marketer then maybe you'll be fine with just payware, but that seems unlikely.

No, what I mean is to change the intention of your free version from being something that proves the software works into android's best free radar application. What I see is a very specialized niche product that given your current course of marketing, 99.9% of android users will never hear of.. you'll get $5 here or there. On the other hand if you have the best free ad-supported or "lite" radar app you stand to reach a much larger audience and have much greater revenue.

Many apps are ad supported, if you do that, even free users end up as revenue for you. Others have many features disabled and up-sell the pay version via the free one. You can combine those tactics too. End result is more people are using your software, some of those are likely to purchase the full version. As long as delivering your free product isn't costly to you these freemium/adware models make alot of sense.

If you are a great marketer then maybe you'll be fine with just payware, but that seems unlikely.

Make a SINGLE free app, then have a virtual currency that is used to upgrade to the full version. Add both TapJoy and in-app billing as options to get that currency, and set the rates so that you end up with slightly more money if they use TapJoy than if they pay with real money (maybe set the TapJoy rates so you actually GET $5, and set the IAB rate so it COSTS $5 to the user). Be sure to keep ads (via AdWhirl or TapJoy SDK) on at ALL TIMES unless the user pays an additional fee (25-50 cents or so of virtual currency per month... just enough to encourage the user to use TapJoy on your app) to take the ads off.

Awesome! I am happy to see polygons will be on there! I used this on my first chase this year in NC and it worked beautifully. I was in the right position if the storm was going to produce but unfortunately it didn't until a bit later and I could no longer stay with it (moving too fast).

Will there be numbers on the dbz scale in version 2 (can you do it now and I am just missing something?) ? Also how much will it be to upgrade from the version I have now?

At this point, no, there will not be numbers on the dbZ scale. Those tick marks are always increments of 10, be it 10 dbz or 10 kts. The greens start at 18ish or so dBz and when you get 60dBz, you get white with the default palette...roughly the threshold for hail on the plains....VERY generally speaking. In reality, you have to interrogate the storm all the way up to ascertain severity in reflectivity, velocity, and even spectrum width (great for 3 body scatter).

If you use the radar palette for a while, the numbers would not get used anyhow as you'll know what colors correspond to what values. If you don't like the palette, change it to one you're more comfortable with. I offered flexibility in the program so everyone could be comfortable with the palette they want.

How much to upgrade?

Nothing. You paid for the app, any upgrades I make to it come with it.

The caveat is....and this is an Android thing....if you upgrade your device, one must pay for it again. In reality, I think the app is a great value even with that stipulation. That's one reason the apps are so inexpensive. In perspective, the app costs far less than a single tank of gas to go chasing.

Joe

Make a SINGLE free app, then have a virtual currency that is used to upgrade to the full version.

No need to make things more complex than they need to be. I'm not looking to make this a living. It is rooted in a passion of mine with contributions from my meteorology, engineering, and other backgrounds and I enjoy sharing it with others. I'm not here to make an app that is perfect for everyone nor could I ever please everyone. I have a product that I offer and continue to work toward upgrades. I actively listen to see what functionality the users want and implement what I can as I can. Those that find value in it, I welcome the support. Those that don't can certainly choose any of the other great apps out there that more closely parallel their needs.

Joe

Joe - purchased your application off the marketplace a few minutes ago. Looks promising, but there is a pretty significant performance issue when scrolling the map display around. The time between when I use my finger to move the map, to when it actually scrolls into position, is several seconds. Not at all responsive. This is on a new Thunderbolt Android phone that I picked up a few days ago. Is this normal? And if so, are there plans to correct or optimize this?

BTW... I agree with you regarding the limitations of the Android platform and SDK. The performance of the emulator is especially abysmal.

Not at all responsive. This is on a new Thunderbolt Android phone that I picked up a few days ago. Is this normal? And if so, are there plans to correct or optimize this?

No, this is not normal. The scrolling works quite well on most devices. It is a little sluggish when things first start up, but normally, it is pretty responsive. It's not as snappy as Radarscope on the iPhone, but Java and C++ are not created equal either.

There are different methods of drawing that I will be experimenting in the future to hopefully render faster and display faster. But, even on an old HTC hero, the system is quite usable...even in the next version. As an aside, the rendering is done in the background in the next version....no more spinning wheel.

Joe

At this point, no, there will not be numbers on the dbZ scale. Those tick marks are always increments of 10, be it 10 dbz or 10 kts. The greens start at 18ish or so dBz and when you get 60dBz, you get white with the default palette...roughly the threshold for hail on the plains....VERY generally speaking. In reality, you have to interrogate the storm all the way up to ascertain severity in reflectivity, velocity, and even spectrum width (great for 3 body scatter).

If you use the radar palette for a while, the numbers would not get used anyhow as you'll know what colors correspond to what values. If you don't like the palette, change it to one you're more comfortable with. I offered flexibility in the program so everyone could be comfortable with the palette they want.

How much to upgrade?

The caveat is....and this is an Android thing....if you upgrade your device, one must pay for it again. In reality, I think the app is a great value even with that stipulation. That's one reason the apps are so inexpensive. In perspective, the app costs far less than a single tank of gas to go chasing.

Joe

Thank you for the response and yeah I pretty much figured out the dbz scale without the numbers and that makes sense. I figured white was the start of the 60dbz mark which is also a key mark for hail around here many times as well. Definitely the radar is only one tool as you do have to interrogate the storm without question. I had to do a bit of that on my first modest chase success this season using the app. I am hoping for another chance soon.

How much to upgrade?

Joe

That isn't the case. I am now on my third Android device (HTC Thunderbolt) and since I continue to use the same Google Gmail account in the marketplace, I do not need to purchase an app again. I just installed your radar application on the Thunderbolt at no cost.

That isn't the case. I am now on my third Android device (HTC Thunderbolt) and since I continue to use the same Google Gmail account in the marketplace, I do not need to purchase an app again. I just installed your radar application on the Thunderbolt at no cost.

Oh, well good! I guess it must be tied to the email account. Thanks for letting me know! On the Thunderbolt, do your state boundary lines differ in width from county boundaries? HTC has traditionally not done well at supporting a lot of the OpenGLES 2 parameters such as line width.

Joe

Oh, well good! I guess it must be tied to the email account. Thanks for letting me know! On the Thunderbolt, do your state boundary lines differ in width from county boundaries? HTC has traditionally not done well at supporting a lot of the OpenGLES 2 parameters such as line width.

Joe

They look the same width.

Archived