BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
The PHL/NYC Medium Range Thread - Part 2

am19psu

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do you guys see any potential for the Jersey Shore to pick up some snow with the latest GFS models?

I don't see much hope at all for the upcoming 18th - 19th storm in that location. I'm not a pro but it seems highly unlikely.

Nice area. I live in a town called Mt. Cobb right on the Wayne County, Lackawanna County line. I own an Ice Cream Shop there. If you ever come through while visiting family between April and October, stop by for some free ice cream. The shop is called That Shake Place.

Is it near Big Bass Lake? My family just bought a home there. Would like to give you the business when up there if close. By the way, how does the Big Bass Lake area do with snow?

Also, love skiing at Elk. Best mountain in PA and one of the hidden treasures in the area.

Thanks.

Mike

i think i saw it was spitting out about .25-.5, but i looked at it like 2 days before the event happened.

It could have done worse. I agree with snowgoose on this, I think overall the best qpf for most events are the model runs approximately 24 hours before the start of the event. Ones closer in sometimes have spin-up problems, ones further out tend to be too wet (or bouncy).

the gfs is the warmest that i acces to with 2m temps. The euro is in the 30s the whole time.

With the snowpack the nights will cool off with rad cooling. Up this way forcast lows over the next few days wil go down in the low teens to upper single digits. We could have some CAD locked in the valley areas to make a icy mess if the mid levels warm up with the Tues. event.

Is it near Big Bass Lake? My family just bought a home there. Would like to give you the business when up there if close. By the way, how does the Big Bass Lake area do with snow?

Also, love skiing at Elk. Best mountain in PA and one of the hidden treasures in the area.

Thanks.

Mike

I'm about 15 miles north of Big Bass Lake. That's a nice area and like me has some good elevation so does well in close call snowstorms. That whole stretch of Rt. 380 from Tobyhanna past Big Bass Lake up to my area is a great place to be if places below 1000 ft. in elevation are having rain or a mix but get up above 1500 ft. and it's an entirely different world. So yes, Big Bass Lake does well with snow and it's a beautiful area.

And yes, Elk Mt. is a hidden gem. Hope to see you at my ice cream shop. Mention this message board and the ice cream is on me!! http://www.shakeplace.com/

Then I guess it did fairly well.

You think the GFS did well with this storm? I think the MM5, Ruc and Nam did the best. The Nam had the track right, but the precip output was too wet. Last night, the NMM and ARW had the banding in the areas that saw great banding this morning,

Lot's of time between now and then, but CTP's current forecast for Tamaqua starts as snow, goes to a mix, and then finishes as snow showers.

Monday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Tuesday: A chance of snow, freezing rain, and sleet. Cloudy, with a high near 33. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Tuesday Night: A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 19. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Maybe this could be our storm?

You think the GFS did well with this storm? I think the MM5, Ruc and Nam did the best. The Nam had the track right, but the precip output was too wet. Last night, the NMM and ARW had the banding in the areas that saw great banding this morning,

I think the NAM was an absolute disgrace with this storm.

This event is one where alot of overrunning snow could occur out ahead of the storm...as of now though the initial cold air source is not great and the high is positioned a bit further east than you want for that, the GEM is the only model that has it in a good spot and it generates almost no overrunning precip at all...if you look at hour 132-144, it should be showing snow breaking out over the NE but it shows only a small amount...the problem may be the 500 trough and dynamics to the SW over the TN Valley and Midwest is simply not strong enough but this is a very 1/8/99 and 12/14/03 looking event to me where inland areas stay frozen but the coast could see up to 6 inches of snow before a changeover if we can keep that high more over the land areas of N NE or SE Canada.

Arctic intrusion cancelled on the 18z GFS :facepalm:

Well it is the gfs where it goes from arctic outbreak to torch in one run. Looks like our pattern will be guided by the +PNA for the next couple of weeks, which could be a good thing especially with the NAO in neutral mode. I have a feeling things won't be as warm as the gfs indicates, even for the 1/17-1/20 period.

Well it is the gfs where it goes from arctic outbreak to torch in one run. Looks like our pattern will be guided by the +PNA for the next couple of weeks, which could be a good thing especially with the NAO in neutral mode. I have a feeling things won't be as warm as the gfs indicates, even for the 1/17-1/20 period.

This is true, but the GFS does not exactly indicate a torch, either.

The GFS has been very poor this year...then again most of the models have been pretty poor this year. As one of the great mets on here said a few weeks ago...you could have woken him up out of a ten year sleep, show him the last twenty runs of the models and he could have told you its a mod/strong nina just based on the large run to run differnces that are taking place. So...even though our winter has been anything like a nina year so far..its still having its toll on the models.

This event is one where alot of overrunning snow could occur out ahead of the storm...as of now though the initial cold air source is not great and the high is positioned a bit further east than you want for that, the GEM is the only model that has it in a good spot and it generates almost no overrunning precip at all...if you look at hour 132-144, it should be showing snow breaking out over the NE but it shows only a small amount...the problem may be the 500 trough and dynamics to the SW over the TN Valley and Midwest is simply not strong enough but this is a very 1/8/99 and 12/14/03 looking event to me where inland areas stay frozen but the coast could see up to 6 inches of snow before a changeover if we can keep that high more over the land areas of N NE or SE Canada.

Goose- do you see any similarities to jan 23 1987?

Archived