• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
WxChallenge 2011-2012 Season

phil882

Its WxChallenge time again. Looks like we are starting up in Miami, Florida this year.

Anyway this is the official discussion thread and I'll try to update things when I can.

For Anyone that Wants more information on the contest go here: http://www.wxchallenge.com/

In addition there have been a few changes made to the contest this year, all of which you can read here, including a new beta tournament that has yet to be announced.

And here are all the forecast cities for this season. So who's playing this year?

16c83d0.png

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we have to be a meteorologist or pro forecaster to try?

All undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, staff, and alumni of a higher education institution are eligible to participate in the contest. In the future, this contest may be open to lower education institutions and the public, but currently only higher education institutions may participate.

I'm mrwill from Miami. I guess that gives me home field advantage this first round.

My scores have actually gone downhill each year since junior year of undergrad at UAlbany... not because I've become a worse forecaster but because I've had less and less time each year to devote to forecasting! (and get a lot more missed forecast penalties)

QUINCY here.

first time participating since senior year of college (2008-09)

What killed me that year was the fact that I forgot a couple of times and it absolutely dragged me down. I started off in the top 100 and had some very solid showings...

This year I am inputting a 4-day forecast just in case every weekend, so there's no chance I forget.

JacobC here for Rutgers University, doing it for the first time (since it is required for my Synoptic class!). Will probably get my butt kicked...

How do I know what my "category" is?

It's just what class year you are. Cat 4 is Freshman/Sophmore, Cat 3 is Junior/Senior, Cat 2 is Graduate Student, and Cat 1 is Post Docs and Professors. More recently they added a Cat 0 which is for former Alumni, although they can't play for the team or win awards like trophies or participate in the year end tourney.

IIRC I think that puts you in Cat 3!

Precip could be tricky in Miami with scattered thunderstorms...

That's what I'm thinking too. Nothing like a little bit of convection to throw off a precipitation forecast. Problem is, its likely the only thing that will make this city difficult since temps will not hover too far above or below normal, so those that have the superior precipitation forecasts this week will definitely be up there in the rankings.

Archived