BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
mid atlantic leaf thread

nj2va

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're golden tomorrow and I'm jealous. Bring the camera and post em up.

Getting all the various gear together. Looks like I'm definitely going tomorrow. Debating the time I should leave, though. Some of the comments about 66 during rush hour make me think I should leave before the AM rush even. Otherwise I'll just hit the PM rush.

Getting all the various gear together. Looks like I'm definitely going tomorrow. Debating the time I should leave, though. Some of the comments about 66 during rush hour make me think I should leave before the AM rush even. Otherwise I'll just hit the PM rush.

66 westbound won't be a problem at all. It's getting to 66 that will be a problem. Sometimes it's worth the extra miles to go 270N to 15/340 to Front Royal. Nice scenic drive and no worries about traffic once you hit 270. Coming home that way is nice too.

Enjoy the day!

66 westbound won't be a problem at all. It's getting to 66 that will be a problem. Sometimes it's worth the extra miles to go 270N to 15/340 to Front Royal. Nice scenic drive and no worries about traffic once you hit 270. Coming home that way is nice too.

Enjoy the day!

I'm probably going to leave sometime between 5am and 6:30am tomorrow morning. Maybe around 6 would be a good bet. My main goal is to avoid the evening rush hour so I would kind of like to get down there earlier in the day.

Overcast helps? I always figured the sun beating down would bring out the color more. Thanks for the tip :)

I've found that the bright sun washes out some of the color. Overcast conditions provide contrast and lets the colors shine.

Like Bob said, 66W is not a problem that time of day, and is not usuall a problem eastbound in the evening; you'll be going opposite of rush-hour traffic at both times. However, taking the 340 route that Bob Chill suggested takes you through Harper's Ferry which is beautiful. Hope you have a great time!

I've found that the bright sun washes out some of the color. Overcast conditions provide contrast and lets the colors shine.

Like Bob said, 66W is not a problem that time of day, and is not usuall a problem eastbound in the evening; you'll be going opposite of rush-hour traffic at both times. However, taking the 340 route that Bob Chill suggested takes you through Harper's Ferry which is beautiful. Hope you have a great time!

My only concern with taking that route is that I had planned to start at 33 and work my way north to Front Royal. Then I'd pick up 66 in the afternoon and take it all the way back into the DC area.

Just got back from Shenandoah. Really was worth it - surprisingly there's still some trees that are mostly green. Then there's others that are almost bare. Was not crowded at all except for a delay at the gate. Ended up only going from 33 to 211 - figured it was more of the same beyond that. I definitely did not expect the Hawksbill hike to be that steep (not sure what I was expecting though lol). I'll get some pics up later on. There were a decent amount of people on the trail as well...one particularly slow family passed me as I was hiking up...then I stayed at the summit for a while and I passed them about 3/5 down the trail on the way back.

Just got back from Shenandoah. Really was worth it - surprisingly there's still some trees that are mostly green. Then there's others that are almost bare. Was not crowded at all except for a delay at the gate. Ended up only going from 33 to 211 - figured it was more of the same beyond that. I definitely did not expect the Hawksbill hike to be that steep (not sure what I was expecting though lol). I'll get some pics up later on. There were a decent amount of people on the trail as well...one particularly slow family passed me as I was hiking up...then I stayed at the summit for a while and I passed them about 3/5 down the trail on the way back.

Steep, but relatively short. The drive along 211 through rappahanock county is worth a trip in itself. Can't wait to see your pics!

Somewhat related to leaves: the great squirrel famine

I can somewhat confirm. Only one of our oaks produced acorns this season. This was after the last two years of barely being able to walk in places without slipping on them like marbles on a hard floor.

What type of oaks do you have? I have a big red oak that is producing pkenty of acorns, makes mowing the lawn a bit nutty at times every yr.

Went up on my roof this morning to change the Vantage Pro battery and took iphone pic facing east. Cruddy reso, but trees just don't want to hold onto leaves this fall.

Those tulip poplars are so huge I could only get the top 40% in the shot even from my roof, over 200 years old, withstood Hurricane Hazel, both the 1989 and the 2010 downbursts, 1999 ice storm, and can't handle a dry summer? :rolleyes:

KKKKKKKKKKKKKK2.jpg

The color this fall has been pretty lame IMO. Even up along the catoctins and around gettyburg this weekend wasn't great at all.

Various species are spreading out too much and vivid colors are only on the maples from what I've seen. My beeches, tulip poplars, and dogwoods pretty much suck this year.

I kinda had a feeling when we kept getting cutoffs and feet of rain. That is no good for fall color.

Yeah trees are really dropping leaves early, awoke to my yard blanketed in leaves, most from my nieghbors yard as usual lol

Not sure if the summer drought is causing early leaf drop but I can't remember it coming so soon, some trees have already lost maybe 40% of their leaves.

Took some pictures yesteday.

Sunrise yesterday morning on my way to a trimming job, Can see Some of the Trees near the rising sun have lost Most of their leaves already.

A1.jpg

Quick pics.

A5.jpg

A2.jpg

A4.jpg

Some people still haven't fixed their antennas after Hurricane Irene, one of many houses with lazy folk. :thumbsup:

A3.jpg

Has to be the wet september, had to blow again today and have a giant leaf pile on the side of the road now.

You're lucky you have the color, nothing but brown here, although there is some yellow. Some trees are already bare, likely a result of the dry summer.

Went up on my roof this morning to change the Vantage Pro battery and took iphone pic facing east. Cruddy reso, but trees just don't want to hold onto leaves this fall.

Those tulip poplars are so huge I could only get the top 40% in the shot even from my roof, over 200 years old, withstood Hurricane Hazel, both the 1989 and the 2010 downbursts, 1999 ice storm, and can't handle a dry summer? :rolleyes:

KKKKKKKKKKKKKK2.jpg

Some of the big-ole trees still have almost all of their leaves, yet others are almost completely bare. Wierd.

Some of the tougher ones muscling their way thru though.

TREE22.jpg

TREE33.jpg

TREE11.jpg

I never said that.

I said the oaks are green

Im just saying you have been harping for a while now since your Sept 15 post that your leaves have been dropping pretty heavily and yet every pic you posted outside of one or two have been full of leaves yet. Yet you make it sound like your area is like west virginia with the trees bare.

The pics I took yesterday were of oaks...the oaks are still green, as I'd been saying all along. Cherries are bare, London planes are about 75% bare, tulip poplars about 60%, that's what drought does, all pics verify my details. Looks like I'm in for a long pic taking session this afternoon. Sometimes you really make no sense, if you're saying I'm lying tell me what you think I'm lying about and I'll provide photos, otherwise there isnt any point to your rant.

I said I wasn't happy with the cruddy color, and I'm not, they're turning at different times.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say Dave, look at the pics, and learn your trees.

And to add on the pics you quoted were conveniently chosen. Do you want to go down the manipulatory road?

I don't mind the trolling if it has merit but I hope all read back in the thread.

You are missing my point here BB, I said with all your posts about leaves falling the pics you took, you make it sound like it is like western Md where you are where in fact by your pics most of the majority of the trees there have plenty of leaves on them.

You are missing my point here BB, I said with all your posts about leaves falling the pics you took, you make it sound like it is like western Md where you are where in fact by your pics most of the majority of the trees there have plenty of leaves on them.

Apparently I am missing your point aviationdave, because I specifically said in a reply to Ian that most of the trees had some leaves on them, as they do..when asked previously. Will you read back in the threads or do I need to quote it myself?

Just for you I'll take new pics of everything since it appears accurate interpretations are not your strong suit.

Not a big deal, but he's not crazy to have picked up on it.

Picked up on what? Hopefully this will clear things up. This is what I mean by relatively "bare". Tell me how you'd describe this otherwise...all taken within 100ft of my house.

Just a cruddy year, I usually like taking pics of the foliage but didn't intend on doing it for these reasons or with the shotty color.

KILL1.jpg

KILL2.jpg

KILL4.jpg

KILL3.jpg

Archived