BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
mid atlantic leaf thread

nj2va

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting with the maples how the different varieties of maple produce different colors. There's a number of different varieties on my street and they range from dark red/burgundy to yellow/orange when the leaves change.

All my trees are maples and they mostly are meh brownish redish orangish yellowish. None of them are great.

My maples are just starting to gt color but some leaves are already falling. The d*** acorns are everywhere, it brings the deer into the driveway fro easy pickings where the cars have driven over them. We've seen them the last 3 days.

Interesting. Our first fall at our house there were so many acorns I had to go out and buy the Nut Wizard to keep up. Last year was equivalent, with garbage bag after garbage bag full of the damn things. This year, only one of our 12 oaks produced any acorns of size.

Found a picture with our maple in it from last year, seems like it is maybe 3 or 4 days ahead of where it was in 2010.

My personal favorite spot is Hawksbill, which is only about 12 miles south from the intersection of the Drive and 211. It's a short hike (though a bit steep) to the highest point in the park (4,080 ft I believe). The views to the west are incredible, and are only heightened with the foliage you'll see. Midweek will help you avoid the big crowds.

Any additional info on that short hike? Sounds like something I might like to do if I am in the park.

Thanks! - I've got a Maryland hiking book but don't have much on VA.

This is a good map to get an idea of your options. http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/central.jpg

I agree with NPZ. Hawksbill is a great one. I like Stoney Man a little better though. It's a short hike distance wise but it is about 800' elevation gain. Views are excellent and the rock formations are really cool to look at. Do not do it on a crowded day though. Very popular and crowded on the ridge.

This is a good map to get an idea of your options. http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/central.jpg

I agree with NPZ. Hawksbill is a great one. I like Stoney Man a little better though. It's a short hike distance wise but it is about 800' elevation gain. Views are excellent and the rock formations are really cool to look at. Do not do it on a crowded day though. Very popular and crowded on the ridge.

Would I park at Hawksbill Gap parking or Upper Hawksbill Parking area?

Hawksbill Gap. There is a trailhead that goes straight to the summit. It's about .8 miles. You can come down the same way or do the loop via the app trail The loop is 3 miles total and should take 1.5 - 2 hours depending on how much gazing you do.

Good link: http://www.summitpost.org/hawksbill-loop-trail/284573

Chill got you a good link to the info you needed. On the way down, be sure to follow the correct trail heads. On my one my first trips there I had a brain spasm and missed a trail head and ended up taking the hawksbill fire rd on the way back down. That trail comes out a mile south of the hawksbill gap parking lot. Left me with another unexpected hike.

At the summit proceed to the lookout for a great near 360 degree view. You'll get a great view of Old Rag to the east. A great book for discovering hikes to peaks in the park:

Hikes to Peaks & Vistas

ISBN: 0-931606-24-1

You can find that book in any of the visitor centers. There is also a similar book that details hikes to waterfall in the park. It is well worth the cost.

Enjoy your trip.

Chill got you a good link to the info you needed. On the way down, be sure to follow the correct trail heads. On my one my first trips there I had a brain spasm and missed a trail head and ended up taking the hawksbill fire rd on the way back down. That trail comes out a mile south of the hawksbill gap parking lot. Left me with another unexpected hike.

At the summit proceed to the lookout for a great near 360 degree view. You'll get a great view of Old Rag to the east. A great book for discovering hikes to peaks in the park:

Hikes to Peaks & Vistas

ISBN: 0-931606-24-1

You can find that book in any of the visitor centers. There is also a similar book that details hikes to waterfall in the park. It is well worth the cost.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks! :)

The small patches of woods and treelines between fields have really begun to change in the past few days here. Hickory trees in peak color, with some maples mostly there as well. Some of the oaks have started to turn also. Nothing spectacular after almost 9" of rain in August and over 18" in September. Lots of brown.

earliest I can get out to Skyline is looking like Tuesday now (weather permitting) and if not then - Thursday (Wednesday rain). I'm a little on edge thinking I might miss the peak since our trees here are already getting decent color. Pinnacles camera still looks good, though.

earliest I can get out to Skyline is looking like Tuesday now (weather permitting) and if not then - Thursday (Wednesday rain). I'm a little on edge thinking I might miss the peak since our trees here are already getting decent color. Pinnacles camera still looks good, though.

I was up there yesterday, up to 3,000 ft. Near peak color at the ridges, but maybe still a tad shy. Still plenty of color to come at lower elevations - assuming all the leaves didn't get blown off. It was quite windy up there. What a beautiful day yesterday was. Simply amazing. You should be good this week.

I was up there yesterday, up to 3,000 ft. Near peak color at the ridges, but maybe still a tad shy. Still plenty of color to come at lower elevations - assuming all the leaves didn't get blown off. It was quite windy up there. What a beautiful day yesterday was. Simply amazing. You should be good this week.

Tuesday is the day. Looks like the showery weather will hold off. I plan to be there mainly in the morning so maybe I'll catch some sunshine too. I appreciate the update! :weight_lift: I hope I am not too late. As of this afternoon, the camera from NPS (Pinnacles) still looked really good.

Just curious. How crowded was it? In 2007 I went on a nice Saturday in mid Oct and I swore then I would never do it again on a weekend. It felt like 495 @ 5pm on a weekday on Skyline and there was no parking @ any of the good hiking trailheads. Seeing and passing people on the trails every 5 mintues made the hikes we did do feel crowded.

I took the dog out in the woods yesterday @ a park/nature center right outside of Rockville and I saw like 3 people the whole time. I always prefer peace and serenity when I get outdoors. Doesn't matter where it is either. Giant park like Skyline or the local woods. I like to be alone because my life is way crowded with 4 kids and running a business.

Just curious. How crowded was it? In 2007 I went on a nice Saturday in mid Oct and I swore then I would never do it again on a weekend. It felt like 495 @ 5pm on a weekday on Skyline and there was no parking @ any of the good hiking trailheads. Seeing and passing people on the trails every 5 mintues made the hikes we did do feel crowded.

I took the dog out in the woods yesterday @ a park/nature center right outside of Rockville and I saw like 3 people the whole time. I always prefer peace and serenity when I get outdoors. Doesn't matter where it is either. Giant park like Skyline or the local woods. I like to be alone because my life is way crowded with 4 kids and running a business.

I would guess that weekends during this time area always going to be very touristy. I'm just crossing my fingers for my venture out there tomorrow.

It was crowded, but I've seen it much worse. I expected it to be worse than it was; I think it took us about 10 minutes or so to get through the gate at the FR entrance. I've seen the line of cars extend down the road past the entrance and backed up onto 340S before, but it wasn't nearly that bad. There was usually a spot or two to park at the overlooks, and most of the trail-head parking wasn't full. Don't know if the wind kept some away, or if many planned on coming this coming weekend. Obviously, way more crowded than we'd like, but just something you have to deal with if you want the experience.

Archived