• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
First Recorded Temperature In The Teens For September At International Falls, MN

http://www.crh.noaa....testatsandfacts

The low temperature at 7:06 am this morning at International Falls was 19 degrees. This breaks the record low for a September 15th, 24 degrees, set in 1964. This is the coldest temperature reported for so early in the season. This also marks the first time in station history that a temperature in the teens has been recorded in the month of September.

The low temperature at 7:06 am this morning at International Falls was 19 degrees. This breaks the record low for a September 15th, 24 degrees, set in 1964. This is the coldest temperature reported for so early in the season. This also marks the first time in station history that a temperature in the teens has been recorded in the month of September.

Wow and it's only September 15th even more impressive. If we were at the end of September it would still be impressive but not as much.

Wow and it's only September 15th even more impressive. If we were at the end of September it would still be impressive but not as much.

As impressive as that is I bet it will not be a headline or even be mentioned by any national news outlet. Only records on the warm side make the news these days & not only make it but are mentioned over & over & over again.:thumbsdown:

Kind of weirdly worded. Why wouldn't they also say that it breaks the monthly record low too?

As impressive as that is I bet it will not be a headline or even be mentioned by any national news outlet. Only records on the warm side make the news these days & not only make it but are mentioned over & over & over again.:thumbsdown:

Perhaps because records on the warm side are so much more frequent.

Kind of weirdly worded. Why wouldn't they also say that it breaks the monthly record low too?

I think that they did it that way to highlight a low in the teens.

It looks like the previous low temperature for the month was

20 degrees recorded in 1956 and 1965.

I think that they did it that way to highlight a low in the teens.

It looks like the previous low temperature for the month was

20 degrees recorded in 1956 and 1965.

Rather surprised that INL has never recorded sub-20 in Sept, considering its overall coldness. It's significantly colder (similar temps in July, 6F colder in January) than my former BY in Fort Kent, Maine, but the latter has a 19, set on 9/22/1950.

Rather surprised that INL has never recorded sub-20 in Sept, considering its overall coldness. It's significantly colder (similar temps in July, 6F colder in January) than my former BY in Fort Kent, Maine, but the latter has a 19, set on 9/22/1950.

It came close back in 1956 and 1965.Those 20 degree readings were on the 20th and 26th of September.

One shouldn't be surprised that the new all time September record low for international falls hasn't been broadcast more. First, it happened today, and it normally take some time (~24 hours) for the media to jump on on a recent event that's not affecting a wide population. That leads to my second arguement. International Falls is a very small town compared to some of the large cities across this nation. If a more populous center were to record such a record low temperature, it would make bigger headlines since the record affected a larger populous. There is no conspiracy by the media to ignore record lows such as this. There is only the inhernet knowledge that people are biased towards following news that happens in their backyard or in a larger population center where more people live. You let me know when the news media ignores a monthly record low in Houston, TX and then we can talk.

LOL, do they even keep cold records in that town anymore?

We actually tied a daily record low last week, believe it or not lol.

Granted, we still found a way to hit 94-95 in the afternoons during that time frame with 850mb temps only in the 16.5 - 17.0C range. Thanks drought! :(

Perhaps because records on the warm side are so much more frequent.

Really? Here's what makes the news: "U.S. had warmest summer in 75 years". That's a very misleading headline. That's based off of a national average which is especially misleading this summer. Overall, in the lower 48 of the U.S. 36 states were cooler than summer of 2010, 1 was the same, & only 11 warmer. The average spiked up because of the record heat in Texas, N. Mexico, Oklahoma, Louisiana. Take those states out & it doesn't even come close to the WIDESPREAD heat of 2010.

StMap-Sep1610:37:034303588867.gif

StMap-Sep1610:37:301531677246.gif

It was a hot summer but headlines like that are very misleading. Do you think that would happen during the winter? I haven't seen one story or headline about the record cold or snow in parts of S. America a few weeks ago. Snow in some places for the first time in over 40 years...BUT a record heat wave in Russia makes the news. Last winter was very cold & snowy...lots of record snows in the U.S. but that did not receive near as much attention as anything related to warmth does.

One shouldn't be surprised that the new all time September record low for international falls hasn't been broadcast more. First, it happened today, and it normally take some time (~24 hours) for the media to jump on on a recent event that's not affecting a wide population. That leads to my second arguement. International Falls is a very small town compared to some of the large cities across this nation. If a more populous center were to record such a record low temperature, it would make bigger headlines since the record affected a larger populous. There is no conspiracy by the media to ignore record lows such as this. There is only the inhernet knowledge that people are biased towards following news that happens in their backyard or in a larger population center where more people live. You let me know when the news media ignores a monthly record low in Houston, TX and then we can talk.

Very true, but it's also a well-known "cold pole", not infrequently cited as coldest in the lower 48. An all-time September record in, say, Decatur, IL, wouldn't be nearly as newsworthy, though it's a much larger community.

Really? Here's what makes the news: "U.S. had warmest summer in 75 years". That's a very misleading headline. That's based off of a national average which is especially misleading this summer. Overall, in the lower 48 of the U.S. 36 states were cooler than summer of 2010, 1 was the same, & only 11 warmer. The average spiked up because of the record heat in Texas, N. Mexico, Oklahoma, Louisiana. Take those states out & it doesn't even come close to the WIDESPREAD heat of 2010.

It was a hot summer but headlines like that are very misleading. Do you think that would happen during the winter? I haven't seen one story or headline about the record cold or snow in parts of S. America a few weeks ago. Snow in some places for the first time in over 40 years...BUT a record heat wave in Russia makes the news. Last winter was very cold & snowy...lots of record snows in the U.S. but that did not receive near as much attention as anything related to warmth does.

No, it is not a misleading headline. Summer 2011 was hotter than Summer 2010 in the continental US, and by a comfortable margin.

post-1746-0-00501300-1316186730.jpg

You are obviously coming here with an agenda, but it is based on a faulty premise. And LOL at your take that the snowstorms were not covered as much as the heat wave.

Sure. But thanks to UHI, it's much harder for large cities to record record lows than smaller towns. Just the way it is.

Archived