• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Dec 11-13 MW/Lakes/OV Snow Event? Part II

Chicago Storm

6zs gfs and name agreed somewhat on the track.. so I guess that's the Euro was right after all with the further nw shift. The dynamics of this system do not impress me at all atm, and it does indeed take this particular track, I dont see anyone getting more then 6 inches. The storm has no moisture inflow since it's to far north, if it fallows yesterdays 00z, that track is usually and historically ideal for good snows, especially across southern MI.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6zs gfs and name agreed somewhat on the track.. so I guess that's the Euro was right after all with the further nw shift. The dynamics of this system do not impress me at all atm, and it does indeed take this particular track, I dont see anyone getting more then 6 inches. The storm has no moisture inflow since it's to far north, if it fallows yesterdays 00z, that track is usually and historically ideal for good snows, especially across southern MI.

you're going to be wrong on multiple accounts. It's not a bombing cutter, but it's plenty dynamic. As for no one getting more than 6 inches.... :lmao: but seriously there will be plenty of 6 inch reports from Iowa-Minny-Wisconsin and into Michigan, maybe Northern Illinois and NW Indiana as well.

you're going to be wrong on multiple accounts. It's not a bombing cutter, but it's plenty dynamic. As for no one getting more than 6 inches.... :lmao: but seriously there will be plenty of 6 inch reports from Iowa-Minny-Wisconsin and into Michigan, maybe Northern Illinois and NW Indiana as well.

LOL, A few days ago it sure was, and I was like YEY 2 feet of snow!!

9z SREF mean storm track. To note, I've always believed that they, like most models, garner more accuracy the closer we get to storm time. Regardless, fairly north and notice the shading to the NW. Probably some members really far to the NW.

sref_bsp_057s.gif

Well might as well give Minneapolis and all the other cities that got hammered with the last 3 storms some more snow!

HPC's take on the track .

Pretty wild spread amongst each cluster. I have to imagine it shifts north some if the 12z runs do what i suspect. And it's a weenie comment that is made so often, but the track they have follows the southern edge of the snowpack left from the previous storm pretty well. Also the 12/12 plots are split with some around chicago and some well south, probably showing the split amongst which low the models favor becoming dominant.

These models are a joke. I don't know why I wasted so much time the last few days analyzing this system when I should have been studying for finals.

The way things are going I get the feeling I'm going to want to get hammered this weekend. Who's with me?

And Ive got news for you, the models will be doing this all winter. The next 4 months will be one after another. Some storms will be followed closely for a week and never materialize, others will come out of nowhere. In the end it will probably be a good winter, but too much model watching saps some of the fun out of it. See 2007-08. Record or near-record snow over most of the Great Lakes, but still PLENTY of stress during the winter due to the models. Its after winters over that you look back at it and say, wow, that WAS special. Not when its actually happening. And thats a shame.

Just enjoy tonights snow and worry about this storm Sat :)

And speaking of the baroclinic zone--HPC discussion for this event

MIDWEST/GTLKS/UPR OH VLY DAY 3...THE STRONG SHRTWV WILL EMERGE ONTO THE PLAINS LATE FRI WITH A SFCREFLECTION QUICKLY DEEPENING AS IT REACHES THE MID MS VLYOVERNIGHT. THIS HIGHLY BAROCLINIC SYS WILL INVOLVE A HEALTHY COLDSECTOR WITH SIGNIFICANT MSTR WRAPPING INTO IT AS THE SHRTWV CARVESOUT A DEEP NEG-TILT TROF THRU THE ERN CONUS. STILL MANYUNCERTAINTIES HERE... AND HPC TOOK A COMPROMISE BETWEEN THE VERYFAST GFS AND SLOW NAM SEEN IN THE UKMET/UKMET/SREF HERE. RAIN/SNOW LINE WILL BE NEAR CHICAGO WITH LIGHT/BRIEF FZRA POSSIBLEIN BETWEEN. COLD QPF MAXIMA IS PROGGED TO BE FROM NORTHEAST IATHRU CNTRL WI WHERE UP TO 8 INCHES IS FORECAST THRU 12Z SUN.

he's useless for storm tracking, why do you pay attention to him? Moneyman has a better graps of what's going down.

I agree. Jb is not good at storm tracking, but is reasonably good at overall pattern recognition. I don't see how this is going to be a paralyzing blizzard for the lower lakes, unless he considers 8' to be paralyzing (and I'm not including lake effect here). he has to remember that those of us up here have fairly high benchmarks when it comes to blizzards.

wow 12z nam looks way north again.....850 about to close off in s. MN

yes it will but you can see a southern low trying to get going down around OK/TX, which has been the battle for some time.

nam_850_048m.gif

I agree. Jb is not good at storm tracking, but is reasonably good at overall pattern recognition. I don't see how this is going to be a paralyzing blizzard for the lower lakes, unless he considers 8' to be paralyzing (and I'm not including lake effect here). he has to remember that those of us up here have fairly high benchmarks when it comes to blizzards.

I do. :whistle:

And i think someone gets more than 8".

Archived