Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Dec 11-13 MW/Lakes/OV Snow Event? Part II

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

given that cold air that will be coming in, i think the idea of rain quickly chaning to heavy wet snow is legit.

that's a tough storm to bring in cold air for you if you're ahead of it. It's got a ridge pumping in front and the cold air can't wrap in until its overhead or passed....but this is also the type of storm that will have a major dry slot that will accompany height crashes. As someone said, the nam is also fairly weak with it as well.

I'm having a hard time worrying about rain when so many solutions are still a good ways south and a bunch of NWS offices aren't buying such a northwest track. I think we're set up pretty good, that and there is a ton of cold air ripping down the backside, a rain to decent accums scenario is certainly possible.

strongly agree

IF this storms taps into its potential, backside snows will not be a problem IMO.

the models have really been all over the place. which tells me there is a lot of potential on the table that hasnt been fully tapped, like it could when all the models finally arrive at concensus.

Quick look at soundings, LAF probably has a chance at some of the sloppiest snow, after a good dose of rain, you can imagine at 84 hours with just a small sliver of warmth at 950 and surface temps just above freezing. Again, fits my expectations to a tee. laugh.gif

One news station here is saying rain all weekend with a little mix in at the end.. :axe:

Biggest snow will be in the northern part of the state.

Double E rule in effect.

Glad someone else remembers that rule. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

One news station here is saying rain all weekend with a little mix in at the end.. :axe:

Biggest snow will be in the northern part of the state.

Our goose is cooked. Just some consolation snow showers hopefully add up to an inch.

With the new NAM starting to show a more dynamic, well constructed storm system I'm pretty confident the GFS will be a stark improvement over the 12z. I think even with the NAM's improvements this run it still isn't quite as strong as what we'll see in future runs. Not with such a powerhouse jet ripping into this thing.

When they all arrive at consensus? How about IF?

With that strength of that jet coming around the base of the trough, this one could be a nailbiter up until the end

its always a nailbiter, but i imagine we will get some sort of concensus for the MW soon enough, especially once all the energy is sampled.

the last minute wobbles, of course that for nowcasting.

Euro - ETA ( NAM ) both showing the same solution = Double E rule, hard to bet against really

This. They are built on different physics packages and parameterizations, etc... so if they agree, it's pretty hard to go against it and win. It's not 100% foolproof of course, but a vast majority of the time, it works, especially at shorter timeframes.

Archived