Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Dec 11-13 MW/Lakes/OV Snow Event? Part II

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not suggesting two threads, but with the vast majority of posters north of I-80, including mets, it's sometimes hard to get any ideas from others on our area. Even if this storm heads well north, I'd still like to know thoughts about here as well. Right now, it's basically a hump the Euro thread.

:thumbsup::popcorn:

Actually, it basically says that the majority of the disagreement is on the NW side of the spread, either on strength or placement. Note the lower spread on the SE of the mean, fewer solutions are going that way.

500.... which brings up a question, no model is showing a negative tilt so why would a low drive north without that...or is this more of a bowler?

500.... which brings up a question, no model is showing a negative tilt so why would a low drive north without that...or is this more of a bowler?

Inverted trough and coupled jet. Notice the height packing around the lakes between the PV and upstream ridge? And most of the disagreement at that range appears to be with speed, less so with tilt.

Not sure I can agree with the HPC (and thus all NWS WFO Midwestern offices) with this one. The 12Z ECMWF Ensembles over the past few days have been fairly consistent, but the gradual trend has been further west and warmer. Regarding the Sunday morning primary low position, Monday's run had it in southeastern Ohio, Tuesday's run near CMH and Wednesday's run near TOL.

I'm familiar the climatological argument but with such a strong Greenland/Iceland block and negative NAO I'd be very hesitant to agree with them.

Inverted trough and coupled jet. Notice the height packing around the lakes between the PV and upstream ridge? And most of the disagreement at that range appears to be with speed, less so with tilt.

does the fact that there is not a closed low in the center like the euro was showing mean anything.....or would that not be indicated?

Not sure I can agree with the HPC (and thus all NWS WFO Midwestern offices) with this one. The 12Z ECMWF Ensembles over the past few days have been fairly consistent, but the gradual trend has been further west and warmer. Regarding the Sunday morning primary low position, Monday's run had it in southeastern Ohio, Tuesday's run near CMH and Wednesday's run near TOL.

I'm familiar the climatological argument but with such a strong Greenland/Iceland block and negative NAO I'd be very hesitant to agree with them.

Excellent point. A lot of the ensembles have been fairly consistent through out until today when the GFS ensembles fell off the table.

Archived