• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Katia/Lee Banter Thread

He asked Phil and others if there were any analogs when looking at that panel. I think he thought it resembled '38 and was looking for an opinion...but I don't think he intended on inciting the weenies to be honest. I don't think red taggers really get off on having the weenies excited. I mean if I state an opinion about some situation and it resembles a historic event...it's not like I'm saying to myself..."Oh boy I can't wait to get these guys all excited.." At least that's how I feel and I think most other mets feel the same. Nobody gets off on having weenies bow down to you....well except maybe DT..lol.

Perhaps he gets excited talking about storms and it comes out the wrong way, or a way he didn't wish. We've all done it, but I think his posting style puts a target on his back.

This.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He asked Phil and others if there were any analogs when looking at that panel. I think he thought it resembled '38 and was looking for an opinion...but I don't think he intended on inciting the weenies to be honest. I don't think red taggers really get off on having the weenies excited. I mean if I state an opinion about some situation and it resembles a historic event...it's not like I'm saying to myself..."Oh boy I can't wait to get these guys all excited.." At least that's how I feel and I think most other mets feel the same. Nobody gets off on having weenies bow down to you....well except maybe DT..lol.

Perhaps he gets excited talking about storms and it comes out the wrong way, or a way he didn't wish. We've all done it, but I think his posting style puts a target on his back.

This isn't an isolated event that occurred in a vacuum...Earl, Irene, and now Katia all looked like 38 to Tip. I honestly can't believe that you can write this stuff with a straight face.

This isn't an isolated event that occurred in a vacuum...Earl, Irene, and now Katia all looked like 38 to Tip. I honestly can't believe that you can write this stuff with a straight face.

Look Kush, your gig is up. You have overstepped your bounds on this board, IMO, and you need to stand down. Your trolling, acting all serious, mocking is fair game in your playpen at PR....but not here. This board's value is the varied opinions of the many mets here....and your tact is not welcome on the weather side.

Look Kush, your gig is up. You have overstepped your bounds on this board, IMO, and you need to stand down. Your trolling, acting all serious, mocking is fair game in your playpen at PR....but not here. This board's value is the varied opinions of the many mets here....and your tact is not welcome on the weather side.

Sorry, I'll just post the NOGAPS from here on out and make sure to agree with typhoon tip.

Ya think? How this turd burglar gets a free pass is stunning.....must be "one of those things" I guess....

you're out of touch with reality.

I don't even care to be involved in this convo but I'm pretty sure Tip was posting the 1938 track for Katia even before Irene made landfall. By and large red taggers are treated like gods here. Whether or not that's something that should happen is another debate but not all red tags are created equal, at the very least by subset within the larger field. The idea that they should never be questioned or called out is insane.

I don't even care to be involved in this convo but I'm pretty sure Tip was posting the 1938 track for Katia even before Irene made landfall. By and large red taggers are treated like gods here. Whether or not that's something that should happen is another debate but not all red tags are created equal, at the very least by subset within the larger field. The idea that they should never be questioned or called out is insane.

Pandora's Box.....but it's your board.....

Pandora's Box.....but it's your board.....

I'm not advocating everyone be kush. I agree he lacks tact in many situations. But I don't know what you mean. You mean I'm supposed to pretend every met is a genius even when they are talking out their arse? Like in most places, the best rise to the top. The worst are not really fooling many people.

I'll concede that I have been disrespectful and outright rude to many people...that doesn't make me wrong about what I have been saying...it just makes the message less persuasive.

I wouldn't be "wrong" either if I went into every subforum in the winter and trolled all the posts and called them wishcasts for snow, etc, etc. I'd probably be right that those posts were bad, but I'd look like an a**hole and it wouldn't accomplish very much in the process except getting people pissed off.

I'm not advocating everyone be kush. I agree he lacks tact in many situations. But I don't know what you mean. You mean I'm supposed to pretend every met is a genius even when they are talking out their arse? Like in most places, the best rise to the top. The worst are not really fooling many people.

Sure, but where do you draw the line?? And does it fit with Randy's perception? Should you guys cull the "not so important, lesser tier" mets from the board?

My point was't about how Tip (which I've gotten into it with him on a few occasions at E.wx) was right or wrong to post what he did regarding the '38 storm....it was about the very point you ( and now Kush) have conceded) tact, respect, and the ability to disagree without the snarkiness.

I'm actually entertained by Kush quite often, when his posting style is appropriate.

Seriously. Don S.'s days are numbered. ;)

I think some care should be exercised when calling out the pros on the board. This is a special place to discuss weather and its value/credibility is orders of magnitude higher than what it would be without them. True, if we find a veritable quack, game on, but in general, I'm all for innocent-until-proven-guilty, benefit-of-the-doubt, etc.

I'd hate to see the board garner a reputation in the industry of being a minefield for pros and not worth their time.

What has happened in the last month? Is this all Irene's fault?

nothing that's not happened before.. it's all a neverending cycle. except now sne'ers think they are hurricane experts. :P (that's a joke everyone)

Sure, but where do you draw the line?? And does it fit with Randy's perception? Should you guys cull the "not so important, lesser tier" mets from the board?

My point was't about how Tip (which I've gotten into it with him on a few occasions at E.wx) was right or wrong to post what he did regarding the '38 storm....it was about the very point you ( and now Kush) have conceded) tact, respect, and the ability to disagree without the snarkiness.

I'm actually entertained by Kush quite often, when his posting style is appropriate.

There are no hard lines. Weather discussion online has been contentious as long as there as been weather discussion online. People flipping out over whatever is happening right now have just not been around enough. We'll figure it out, or not, and move on.

No one needs to be culled. As I said.. it's often pretty clear who is not worth the time of day to read (whether met or member or admin!).

As a "staff" we have always sided with "protecting" mets and other valued posters. Nothing about that will ever change. That said, kush is not as crazy as some want to portray him as. He's got some solid points intermixed with the stuff people get annoyed with him about.

The clear answer to all of this is to not allow hurricanes to threaten north of NC.

I'd hate to see the board garner a reputation in the industry of being a minefield for pros and not worth their time.

is that really worse than garnering a reputation for really terrible analysis?

i tend to get along fine with almost every red tagger and consider many of them to be among my best buds here...the couple that i have issues with (and this doesn't include LEK actually) are pretty toolish.

Seriously. Don S.'s days are numbered. ;)

I think some care should be exercised when calling out the pros on the board. This is a special place to discuss weather and its value/credibility is orders of magnitude higher than what it would be without them. True, if we find a veritable quack, game on, but in general, I'm all for innocent-until-proven-guilty, benefit-of-the-doubt, etc.

Maybe you and I view 'calling out' differently. I'm not talking tar and feathers here. I'm just saying that no one is truly sacred here... and that's not really a line I've come up with but how it is given the subject matter. For the most part you need a thick skin to post on a weather board if you're doing any sort of forecasting etc. Just like how the TV met takes **** when he's wrong.

There is no minefield. You just said yourself in OT you've been absent here for a while. Unless you're basing your thoughts off this thread or something today I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Absolutely. Without pros the board becomes useless on the wx side. It would just be a bunch of weenies arguing about who's right and who's wrong when there was never any real science in the point to begin with.

Questioning someone who actually has a degree in weather science is totally fine. There is nothing wrong with that. But doing it in an antagonistic and/or immature way is inappropriate.

All of the forums here get derailed with personal attacks and antagonistic post vollys. Not really that big of a deal most of the time except in the threads full of good scientific analysis. I hate seeing those get derailed.

Touché

i tend to get along fine with almost every red tagger and consider many of them to be among my best buds here...the couple that i have issues with (and this doesn't include LEK actually) are pretty toolish.

Not singling you out at all. It comes from all directions, and I daresay you're pretty selective about whom you engage, and I respect that you aren't just spraying the whole board with bullets. I just don't want a convention to emerge by which it's OK to bite the hands that feed us.

But if everyone was allowed to create anomosity because they had "issues" with a couple of mets they think are "toolish" you'd have quite a bit of BS on these boards.....just a respectful opinion....I enjoy most of your posts...but man, the last few days just irked me a bit more....

Maybe you and I view 'calling out' differently. I'm not talking tar and feathers here. I'm just saying that no one is truly sacred here... and that's not really a line I've come up with but how it is given the subject matter. For the most part you need a thick skin to post on a weather board if you're doing any sort of forecasting etc. Just like how the TV met takes **** when he's wrong.

There is no minefield. You just said yourself in OT you've been absent here for a while. Unless you're basing your thoughts off this thread or something today I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Though I have been out of it over the past couple years, I'm definitely not basing this stance on a single, current observation. I've been reading almost daily since Irene formed, and fairly regularly throughout severe season (though primarily in the PHL subforum). I think there's just been some shock value associated with diving headlong into the main forum, combined with "storm mode" and some serious gnashing of teeth during a coastal runner.

Never said there IS a minefield, either. I've been around for enough of the board's history to know that we have a solid, faithful stable of mets that know what to respond to and what to ignore. Times change, though, and folks rotate in and out. I'm just hopeful that as long as this forum is around and seeing new members join and old ones leave, we don't weaken that core of red-taggers due to some perception that the members can be a huge pain in the a** to deal with.

All I was trying to say in OT was that there's a noticeable change in the atmosphere (no pun intended), and I think folks like Met Tech have gotten to some of it in their responses.

99% of the red taggers get nothing but respect on this forum.

S2K has a rule, no disagreement/disrespect with a pro-met (or staff) tolerated, suspendable or even bannable offense. Don't think we want that here.

That's just dumb, and was one of the major reasons I couldn't stay there for more than a month or so before joining EUSWX back in the day.

But if everyone was allowed to create anomosity because they had "issues" with a couple of mets they think are "toolish" you'd have quite a bit of BS on these boards.....just a respectful opinion....I enjoy most of your posts...but man, the last few days just irked me a bit more....

99% of you pros get nothing but respect from all the members. Driving away pro mets was the reason for the no disagreeing with pros rule at S2K as well, and it stifles discussion.

The LEK storm map is one of the highlights of every tropical cyclone thread...

Archived