Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Lee's Remnants and the Mid-Atlantic

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go out there on the MD side just about every time we hit flood stage. They close off the walkway to the observation deck and the Billy Goat Trails themselves now when we go over flood stage, but I haven't seen the whole park closed before. Back in '07, we actually were allowed to go into a section of the walkway by climbing on the railing (since the "boardwalk" itself was already covered with water) right before they shut down the entire section. If it gets to the point where the towpath is wiped out again (like in '96 2x), I could see them closing the actual park.

Using THIS site I get the following analog impact map.

matches fairly well in the local area to what sim radar shows etc.

i'd pretty much gaurantee a torn watch. i'll take the over on 5 warnings too.. what the heck.

2.6" in my gauge since midnight. however, the wxbug station (R. E. Aylor) is reporting only 1.1". I don't know which to believe. Can't be that much difference in precip only 1 mile away. My totals almost always are higher than that station, but I wasn't home most of the day, so I didn't see how hard / long it rained. Winchester Airport reported about 2" since midnight.

The high temp today was 59F and the low was 57F assuming the temp doesn't drop another degree in the next half-hour.

Probably. We shall see. Its likely our last good chance at any good severe weather for the rest of this year barring anything later this month

We seem to be in a pattern that favors tropical activity in/around the area. We are running low on time in many respects... and our odds of a normal cold front driven set of svr storms are pretty low going forward. Still, if the Gulf can pump something else out here soonish it might be worth watching.

We seem to be in a pattern that favors tropical activity in/around the area. We are running low on time in many respects... and our odds of a normal cold front driven set of svr storms are pretty low going forward. Still, if the Gulf can pump something else out here soonish it might be worth watching.

What would Nov 2010 say to that? That was runner-up to 7/25 in regards to damage (locally). I can recall several good severe events in October more-so than Nov, usually in Weak ENSO or La Nina regimes it seems.

What would Nov 2010 say to that? That was runner-up to 7/25 in regards to damage (locally). I can recall several good severe events in October more-so than Nov, usually in Weak ENSO or La Nina regimes it seems.

I guess you have a point there. In a Nina pattern we probably do better in fall than usual. Though I'm going with general climo and even in a Nina fall you need the right system. Overall it's not as conducive as spring without the remnant winter cold air.

First "heavy" downpour of the event, really coming down.

It just went through DC, but only lasted about 5 minutes. I do notice that LWX keeps pushing off the "1 to 2 inches of rain" in `12 hours for DC. I swear a few hours ago that was in forecast for Wed. night, but now says up to an inch.

Seems like they have been saying since Sunday we would get 1 to 2 inches the next night, but then always gets reduced at some point. Probably a good idea to just assume this is not going to be a major flash-flood situation.

Instead just a steady, multiple-day, rain event that causes the rivers to rise. But I somehow don't buy yet that all these rivers are going to reach well into major flood stage out of this, despite the heavier rains in the hills.

It just went through DC, but only lasted about 5 minutes. I do notice that LWX keeps pushing off the "1 to 2 inches of rain" in `12 hours for DC. I swear a few hours ago that was in forecast for Wed. night, but now says up to an inch.

Seems like they have been saying since Sunday we would get 1 to 2 inches the next night, but then always gets reduced at some point. Probably a good idea to just assume this is not going to be a major flash-flood situation. Instead of a steady, multiple-day, rain event that causes the rivers to rise. But I somehow don't buy yet that all these rivers are going to reach well into major flood stage out of this.

Well you can't pinpoint convective precipitation as well as you can stratiform. Flash flooding is usually somewhat local anyway, though the heaviest rain potential does not seem to get here until tomorrow.

Gotta watch the front. Still looks south of RIC but then perhaps extending up through the bay (approximate). Starting to see more of the trough going neg tilt with radar returns in NC. Raleigh line and then formative one near Myrtle. Probably too soon to focus on that stuff but seems like the general ARW band that swings north. The Leesburg to Frederick area still need some love.

Gotta watch the front. Still looks south of RIC but then perhaps extending up through the bay (approximate). Starting to see more of the trough going neg tilt with radar returns in NC. Raleigh line and then formative one near Myrtle. Probably too soon to focus on that stuff but seems like the general ARW band that swings north. The Leesburg to Frederick area still need some love.

Take a look at nat'l radar composite - you can see a connection from our area down to NC, then out into the Atlantic for a bit, then all the way down across FL and into the Gulf.

Seems like they have been saying since Sunday we would get 1 to 2 inches the next night, but then always gets reduced at some point. Probably a good idea to just assume this is not going to be a major flash-flood situation.

Instead just a steady, multiple-day, rain event that causes the rivers to rise. But I somehow don't buy yet that all these rivers are going to reach well into major flood stage out of this, despite the heavier rains in the hills.

it's tough to pinpoint the bands ahead of time. someone locally should get rather doused tomorrow. im not completely sure we'll max out potential throughout the whole watershed but places upstream are already getting way up there in totals.

it will be interesting to see how much this completely shuts off and when as well as what happens with future prospects. if nothing else we may stay in a pattern where it can build on itself. we've had all sorts of other records of late, maybe we're due to kill off some monthly/seasonal rain ones. ;)

Take a look at nat'l radar composite - you can see a connection from our area down to NC, then out into the Atlantic for a bit, then all the way down across FL and into the Gulf.

it is pretty neat

post-1615-0-06416200-1315370983.gif

BWI, IAD, and DCA have all received 1-2" in each of the last two days. What are you talking about?

Archived