Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
September 2011

WeatherX

Vomit?

Did someone say vomit?

Re: Krugman- He is the premier librul columnist at the NYT. He despises we Americans, whom he does not consider to be his fellow citizens.

Don't be surprised any more by how Krugman and other libruls behave.

They are librul. It's what they do.

Vim Toot

Tut tut, Toot.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

63/54, a beautiful fall like day. Went for a hike with the family at the Chesterfield Gorge. The evidence of the high water mark was quite impressive. In all the years I've been hiking and fishing there I have never seen the water get that high. Fortunately the river is back down to seasonable levels. In other good news the Bills throttled the Chiefs 41-7.

63/54, a beautiful fall like day. Went for a hike with the family at the Chesterfield Gorge. The evidence of the high water mark was quite impressive. In all the years I've been hiking and fishing there I have never seen the water get that high. Fortunately the river is back down to seasonable levels. In other good news the Bills throttled the Chiefs 41-7.

Nice pics, Pete. If you head up to the junction of the Deerfield and North Rivers, you can get a sense of the levels achieved there. Seeing the trees left stranded on an "island" in the North also give a sense of the way the river was running. Great day to be out. No hiking here, just sitting outside watching my daughter ride laps around the house on her bike.

Next three days are going to be warm and humid, low 80s in many places, nice cool down next weekend, all signs pointing to a very warm period to close out the second half of September.

Typical fall weather, warm and cool, warm and cool, but the warm is winning as it has all spring and summer long.

Sweet pics, Pete. Definitely looks a little behind here but that's to be expected given the latitude difference. Had some forestry folks up here today from Manchester, VT and they said that this area looks to be about a week or two ahead of southern VT. No real vibrant colors except for a few stressed near the road, but there's also not a lot of green left. Its a muted yellow, gold, brown vista right now. I noticed this morning that the ferns had turned gold, too, giving the forest floor a much more autumn look now.

In another 2-3 weeks it should be pretty prime... especially after the recent cool nights (finally dipped below 40.0F last night here) and upcoming cool weather next week. Maybe a legitimate frost for the mountain valleys next week? That would really speed up the leaf turning.

Next three days are going to be warm and humid, low 80s in many places, nice cool down next weekend, all signs pointing to a very warm period to close out the second half of September.

Typical fall weather, warm and cool, warm and cool, but the warm is winning as it has all spring and summer long.

:unsure: :unsure:

.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS THIS

EVENING. LOWS IN THE LOWER 50S. SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND 5 MPH.

CHANCE OF RAIN 20 PERCENT.

.MONDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS IN

THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE MID 70S. SOUTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.

CHANCE OF RAIN 40 PERCENT.

.MONDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY IN THE EVENING...THEN CLEARING.

PATCHY FOG AFTER MIDNIGHT. VISIBILITY ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT

TIMES AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE MID 50S. SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND

5 MPH.

.TUESDAY...SUNNY. PATCHY FOG. VISIBILITY ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS

AT TIMES. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 70S. SOUTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.

.TUESDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. PATCHY FOG. LOWS IN THE UPPER

50S. SOUTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.

.WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND

THUNDERSTORMS. PATCHY FOG. HIGHS AROUND 70. CHANCE OF RAIN

40 PERCENT.

.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 40 PERCENT CHANCE OF

SHOWERS. COOLER WITH LOWS IN THE UPPER 40S.

Sweet pics, Pete. Definitely looks a little behind here but that's to be expected given the latitude difference. Had some forestry folks up here today from Manchester, VT and they said that this area looks to be about a week or two ahead of southern VT. No real vibrant colors except for a few stressed near the road, but there's also not a lot of green left. Its a muted yellow, gold, brown vista right now. I noticed this morning that the ferns had turned gold, too, giving the forest floor a much more autumn look now.

In another 2-3 weeks it should be pretty prime... especially after the recent cool nights (finally dipped below 40.0F last night here) and upcoming cool weather next week. Maybe a legitimate frost for the mountain valleys next week? That would really speed up the leaf turning.

I'm expecting a total bust of foliage in Franklin County based on the dry July we had (1.25" here). Storms passing north and south kept those areas wet during that time, but not here. Foliage might be okay further south near Pete and north in SVT, but I'm expecting some drab yellows here. Don't think the deluges of the last two weeks will save the foliage here.

63.5/58

:unsure: :unsure:

.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS THIS

EVENING. LOWS IN THE LOWER 50S. SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND 5 MPH.

CHANCE OF RAIN 20 PERCENT.

.MONDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS IN

THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE MID 70S. SOUTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.

CHANCE OF RAIN 40 PERCENT.

.MONDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY IN THE EVENING...THEN CLEARING.

PATCHY FOG AFTER MIDNIGHT. VISIBILITY ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT

TIMES AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE MID 50S. SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND

5 MPH.

.TUESDAY...SUNNY. PATCHY FOG. VISIBILITY ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS

AT TIMES. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 70S. SOUTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.

.TUESDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. PATCHY FOG. LOWS IN THE UPPER

50S. SOUTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.

.WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND

THUNDERSTORMS. PATCHY FOG. HIGHS AROUND 70. CHANCE OF RAIN

40 PERCENT.

.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 40 PERCENT CHANCE OF

SHOWERS. COOLER WITH LOWS IN THE UPPER 40S.

I'm expecting a total bust of foliage in Franklin County based on the dry July we had (1.25" here). Storms passing north and south kept those areas wet during that time, but not here. Foliage might be okay further south near Pete and north in SVT, but I'm expecting some drab yellows here. Don't think the deluges of the last two weeks will save the foliage here.

63.5/58

Mike why do we have this moronic argument every day?lol...........You live in the arctic circle, but for most of sne its going to be around 80 or in the low 80s, its not supposed to be warm there, and yes, even mid 70s is ABOVE NORMAL for you. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Mike why do we have this moronic argument every day?lol...........You live in the arctic circle, but for most of sne its going to be around 80 or in the low 80s, its not supposed to be warm there, and yes, even mid 70s is ABOVE NORMAL for you. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Joe--I'm not arguing the warmth coming up. I'm asking about the three-day reference. I'm reading it as two days, as forecast in any case.

BTW, who's your football team down there?

63.2/58

Joe--I'm not arguing the warmth coming up. I'm asking about the three-day reference. I'm reading it as two days, as forecast in any case.

BTW, who's your football team down there?

63.2/58

80 82 78 here, but whatever, the above normal theme continues, ABSOLUTELY loving the cool down next weekend though!!!

I bleed green.

80 82 78 here, but whatever, the above normal theme continues, ABSOLUTELY loving the cool down next weekend though!!!

I bleed green.

I guess the 70* here on Wednesday is above normal, but frankly, I don' t have a "normal" reference to go by. As long as I don't have to sweat, I'm okay with it. The cool down will be great, especially since I'll have to head out to New Orleans the following Tuesday. I need some fall temps to hold me over as I head into the sauna of the south.

Good luck to Gang Green.

63.1/57

I guess the 70* here on Wednesday is above normal, but frankly, I don' t have a "normal" reference to go by. As long as I don't have to sweat, I'm okay with it. The cool down will be great, especially since I'll have to head out to New Orleans the following Tuesday. I need some fall temps to hold me over as I head into the sauna of the south.

Good luck to Gang Green.

63.1/57

Hoping to dip into the 40s at night next weekend always a milestone when you can see your breath bright and early, I'm sure you have already passed that milestone.

Your call for a hot second half of august didnt work out too well, so I'll plan on 60's and cool rest of this month...LOL, j/k

-

enjoyed the cool/dry weather today...sun is sure setting early now, down to 7:18 here and losing 1-2 minutes a day

Probably a bit but don't forget those pics are taken down in the valley at 900-1000'. Higher up it's just flat out looking like Autumn. Scanning for upcoming ski swaps, a yearly ritual. Perfect cool weather today, not seeing anything that warm in the future either. The day grows near.

Hoping to dip into the 40s at night next weekend always a milestone when you can see your breath bright and early, I'm sure you have already passed that milestone.

No 40's here since June. My overnight lows relatively stink here. Typically, I'll drop quickly until about 8:00p.m. Then, the brakes go on as all my cold runs down the hill to the lucky radiating places below. The hacienda is a late-comer to the frosting situations. I find it fun to walk down the hill and feel the difference in such a short walk. Conversely, I find it fun to drive up from Greenfield or from Shelburne Falls in the afternoons and have the temp drop off. For example, right now, the station at Greenfield HS reads 72.3; here at the Pit I'm 62.5.

I'll take the lower highs any day.

Wowsers! Was just driving back from town with the baby and a bobcat ran in front of us! Did that classic cat gallop across Green River Rd and turned and looked right at us then leaped over the little guardrail. Exciting because I've never seen a wildcat. This thing had to be close to 30lbs. Nice full reddish brown coat that faded to a more tannish color. Had my freakin' camera right next to me too but it was too quick and I couldn't leave the car with the lil' Ben with me.

Wowsers! Was just driving back from town with the baby and a bobcat ran in front of us! Did that classic cat gallop across Green River Rd and turned and looked right at us then leaped over the little guardrail. Exciting because I've never seen a wildcat. This thing had to be close to 30lbs. Nice full reddish brown coat that faded to a more tannish color. Had my freakin' camera right next to me too but it was too quick and I couldn't leave the car with the lil' Ben with me.

The hunters I know say the woods near my house have tons of them, but I think I have only seen one one time.

I think the mountain lions will eat them all soon anyway.

63.1 attm

Good spotting!! You're neck of Greenfield's a great spot.

How's the road doing by the river?

60.7/57

Cool Chris, I see them rather frequently on my drive in the mornings right around dawn. Amazing how they move.

Almost cat-like. :)

If Kevin could get one, he wouldn't need to worry about his chipmunk buckets.

Yeah, this thing did not look like it was hurting for food.

I can't believe Pete sees them with some frequency. Pretty skittish from what i understand but still would keep my distance.

GRR is still washed out and will probably be closed for a while along the 10 mile dirt stretch.

A lot of folks out this way swear they have seen them. It wouldn't surprise me if they wondered out of Canada through Maine, VT or Upstate NY

I've seen several bobcats up this way over the years... last year I almost hit one near the poster "J.Spin's" house in Waterbury.

They have some pretty good numbers up this way and is a big reason why a lot of folks don't like letting their pets out at night... your kitty cat won't come back the next morning if it runs into one of those.

Yeah, this thing did not look like it was hurting for food.

I can't believe Pete sees them with some frequency. Pretty skittish from what i understand but still would keep my distance.

GRR is still washed out and will probably be closed for a while along the 10 mile dirt stretch.

I bet you've got a ton of them along GRR there. You might not see them, but you'll certianly find their tracks. One of my favorite things to do is to take a walk in the woods out back (or when I'm hiking) and set off to find the tracks and traces of the various animals that have been around. Typically, it's the trails left by deer/coyote and ton of smaller critters like raccoons, foxes, etc. Bear pretty frequently and occassionally the moose. Really wish I could spy an actual moose, but so far just their scat by the beaver pond (did that in Maine, but not here).

60.9/56

I've seen several bobcats up this way over the years... last year I almost hit one near the poster "J.Spin's" house in Waterbury.

They have some pretty good numbers up this way and is a big reason why a lot of folks don't like letting their pets out at night... your kitty cat won't come back the next morning if it runs into one of those.

BC's and coyotes have caused many a teary eye.

Wow that's surprising... I would've thought even up on a hill you would've snuck into the upper 40s a few times over the past few weeks. But I guess you must be literally on top of the hill?

Yup. It''s an nteresting location. I'm on top of this hill, but there are several steep ones nearby. Within less than a 1/4 mile, you can be 150' lower than me; 1/2 mile 200' higher or an additional 200' lower--depending on which direction you go.

Archived