Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
September 2011

WeatherX

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's high depends on how you record daily temps. I think many places were well above 60° until around 0200 when the front came through. If you go midnight to midnight, I think that would be the high and if go 0700 to 0700, this afternoon's temp would be the high.

More of the cool and less of the warm for me please!

Yeah, we were around 68 at midnight and it cooled into the mid 50s

61F attm at home. Not sure about here at work

Today's high depends on how you record daily temps. I think many places were well above 60° until around 0200 when the front came through. If you go midnight to midnight, I think that would be the high and if go 0700 to 0700, this afternoon's temp would be the high.

Great point. I was referring to the diurnal heating. I was 61.3 at midnight here.

Meanwhile, up to 58.1/56.

One should use 12AM-12AM standard time (or 1AM-1AM daylight savings time) if you want to be technically correct. So if it was 70 degrees at 12:30 this morning, that would count towards yesterday's high or low, and a 68 temp at 1:10 AM counts as today's high or low. Most home weather stations (and many of the coop stations) can automatically reset at midnight, so it's best to not have it adjust for daylight time and leave it in standard time year round to be consistent. I guess it depends on how anal you want to be about record keeping. Officially, stations that don't use the standard midnight to midnight local time period have their monthly (temperature) averages adjusted so they're not skewed by the time of observation.

One should use 12AM-12AM standard time (or 1AM-1AM daylight savings time) if you want to be technically correct. So if it was 70 degrees at 12:30 this morning, that would count towards yesterday's high or low, and a 68 temp at 1:10 AM counts as today's high or low. Most home weather stations (and many of the coop stations) can automatically reset at midnight, so it's best to not have it adjust for daylight time and leave it in standard time year round to be consistent. I guess it depends on how anal you want to be about record keeping. Officially, stations that don't use the standard midnight to midnight local time period have their monthly (temperature) averages adjusted so they're not skewed by the time of observation.

The context of the two statements was tied to what the termperature was going to rise to during the day.

I use the 7AM-7AM window as that is what I started with a long time ago as a coop observer. All my temp and precip data is like that so it's easier to keep things consistant. I submit electronically and WU or Mesonet can keep track of the rest. I collect my data manually and record it in spreadsheet....I guess I'm anal about it...lol.

When did they start adjusting the temperatures? I've never seen that from the reports I've seen, but maybe I just never noticed it. Do you know what they use to adjust them?

BTW, I've always been annoyed at early morning max temps....it seems to skew records. I remember Christmas Day 1980 the temp fell all day and it was one of the cold day time maxes at BDL but because the temp at midnight was 13°, that is what is in the record books as the high. I think the afternoon high was around 0°. We have days like that every once and a while.

I use the 7AM-7AM window as that is what I started with a long time ago as a coop observer. All my temp and precip data is like that so it's easier to keep things consistant. I submit electronically and WU or Mesonet can keep track of the rest. I collect my data manually and record it in spreadsheet....I guess I'm anal about it...lol.

When did they start adjusting the temperatures? I've never seen that from the reports I've seen, but maybe I just never noticed it. Do you know what they use to adjust them?

BTW, I've always been annoyed at early morning max temps....it seems to skew records. I remember Christmas Day 1980 the temp fell all day and it was one of the cold day time maxes at BDL but because the temp at midnight was 13°, that is what is in the record books as the high. I think the afternoon high was around 0°. We have days like that every once and a while.

By that reasoning, they should not consider the low in the day as the low temperature of the day either. Or maybe I'm confused.

Again, the purpose of the exchange was tied to what we might experience this afternoon. .

58.4/55

They don't adjust the raw temperatures, but when comparing a station with different times of observations or computing climatological normals is when the adjustment is made to the monthly averages. It's really an application specific thing rather than something done to the official climate record. This has been going on for a while now, though is becoming less and less necessary due to electronic sensors that can automatically reset at the correct time instead of someone going out to the Stevenson shelter and resetting the mercury or alcohol thermometer when they take their daily reading. You can plug into google "time of observation" and get a bunch of papers published on this, generally submitted to Journal of Applied Meteorology or Journal of Applied Climate and Meteorology or written by guys at the RCCs, but here's one from Karl who has a lot of published works in the field of climatology: ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/ushcn/v2/monthly/karl-etal1986.pdf. I think this paper is particularly good because it looks at 200+ stations nationwide and breaks down the dependence on location as well as time of day to compute the adjustment factors which if I recall correctly can be negligible (a tenth or two of a degree) to over a degree for some stations. NCDC uses software similar to what Karl presents to adjust the numbers when computing normals, though it's not practical to try to apply it to daily values. I think the winter time is when things are skewed by highs occurring at midnight, but they obviously can't be ignored any more than one discounting warm lows from the mean monthly temperature.

You can plug into google "time of observation" and get a bunch of papers published on this, generally submitted to Journal of Applied Meteorology or Journal of Applied Climate and Meteorology or written by guys at the RCCs, but here's one from Karl who has a lot of published works in the field of climatology: ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa....l-etal1986.pdf. I think this paper is particularly good because it looks at 200+ stations nationwide and breaks down the dependence on location as well as time of day to compute the adjustment factors which if I recall correctly can be negligible (a tenth or two of a degree) to over a degree for some stations.

Thanks for the link. It makes sense when comparing one station to another when the observation is done at a different time of day. I'm lucky in that this is all done remotely now...for years I was one of those people that went to their shelter every day to reset the thermometers. You never know how good you have it till you think back on the way you used to have to do it. Now I just push a button!

Looks like I topped 60° for the day: 60/57

Will and Scooter have both told you to prepare for a much above normal month of September and possibly October. But yet you still cliam it's been a below normal summer and that it hasn't been warm so far in September. You have lost all credibility this summer. Honestly. The snickers are coming from many different directions

Oh please Dorkydork, first of all neither Will or Scott said "prepare for a much above normal month",what they said is they thought the month would probably end up AOA normal but by how much was questionable. You really do them both a professional diservice when you twist their words to push forward your own campaign of misinformation. Secondly. Show me the post where I said Sept wasn't AOA or a post where I disputed any numbers provided for the 4 SNE stations. I have consistently said there was a story behind the numbers. That story is one of warmer than normal nights and a Summer void of any protracted heat, a comfortable Summer for most places in NE. Also, your rather unsophisticated tactic of telling someone you are debating that others are laughing at them may work with the feeble insecure people you and your sales cronies prey upon but it has little effect on me. I have enough input from various members on the board to feel just fine about my participation. Perhaps you should now slink back to your hobby of yelling Fire in crowded theaters.

Oh please Dorkydork, first of all neither Will or Scott said "prepare for a much above normal month",what they said is they thought the month would probably end up AOA normal but by how much was questionable. You really do them both a professional diservice when you twist their words to push forward your own campaign of misinformation. Secondly. Show me the post where I said Sept wasn't AOA or a post where I disputed any numbers provided for the 4 SNE stations. I have consistently said there was a story behind the numbers. That story is one of warmer than normal nights and a Summer void of any protracted heat, a comfortable Summer for most places in NE. Also, your rather unsophisticated tactic of telling someone you are debating that others are laughing at them may work with the feeble insecure people you and your sales cronies prey upon but it has little effect on me. I have enough input from various members on the board to feel just fine about my participation. Perhaps you should now slink back to your hobby of yelling Fire in crowded theaters.

:lmao:

Man you've turned into a real dick

Perfect day, nice to make some money without sweating for it, very cool, and rainy made overseeding optimal. Where we stand through the first 5 days of September, obviously these numbers will have a decent drop after today.

BDR +3.6

BOS +2.6 highs of 86 85 and 87 the last three days.

BDL +4.6 highs of 86 85 and 84

PVD +2.4

ORH +3.6 highs of 81 80 and 81..............normal high is 73

So, the first handful of days this month have obviously been well above normal, some say its been nightime lows that have skewed numbers, that is simply not true, daytime highs have been impressive, not crazy but certainly very warm compared to average.

Again, major negative departures today, and still a long way to go in September.

Perfect day, nice to make some money without sweating for it, very cool, and rainy made overseeding optimal. Where we stand through the first 5 days of September, obviously these numbers will have a decent drop after today.

BDR +3.6

BOS +2.6 highs of 86 85 and 87 the last three days.

BDL +4.6 highs of 86 85 and 84

PVD +2.4

ORH +3.6 highs of 81 80 and 81..............normal high is 73

So, the first handful of days this month have obviously been well above normal, some say its been nightime lows that have skewed numbers, that is simply not true, daytime highs have been impressive, not crazy but certainly very warm compared to average.

Again, major negative departures today, and still a long way to go in September.

Didn't realize ORH was already down to 73. We're losing a degree every three days or so now. Normal highs are generally 73-78 from ORH to BDL now, so holding in the 60s isn't that impressive especially if you're above say 500ft. ORH, for example, averages 4.8 days (143 occurrences in the 1981-2010 period) with highs below 70 in the first half of September alone, so it happens fairly regularly this time of year.

Man you've turned into a real dick

Lol. You attack my credibility, call me a liar and a laughing stock and you expect what? Do you expect me to roll over an offer my azz up? You get some return fire and then scream victim. I didn't make it in construction by being a patsy. I'll apologize to you if I hurt your feelings but please don't play little Miss Innocent. You know I like you Kev but come at me like that and you'll catch it from me everytime. I'll give you the benefit of doubt and say that sleep deprivation has givven me a short fuse .Sorry.

Archived