• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
East Coast Check-in Thread

I survived last minute roof repairs on Saturday afternoon as things started to whip up. Being up on a ladder in rain driven by ~30mph gusts is not something I would recommend. In the end though, it kept the basement bone dry, so it was worth it. My wife gave me that, "try not to die, k?" look when I went out there the last time...

The rest of it was pretty meh. Breezy rainstorm...

Went to Rehobeth last week, left late Thursday Night to beat the traffic(5 kids one 6 week old), had the earthquake, saw Extreme Makerover bus come through Route 1, lost power for 9 hours late Sat into Sunday, and now back to work. What a fun filled week it was.:arrowhead:

Nothing too exciting. Maybe 2-3 inches of rain, gusts up to 45mph for a couple hours, power out for 10 hours, and minimal yard cleanup.

Friend is Chesapeake Beach just 50 miles to my east had over 7" of rain, gusts in the 60-70 range, and lotsa tree damage. Many roads were blocked sunday morning and power still out.

Power lost Saturday at 7PM, got it back Sunday 1PM. No damage at my house but in-laws lost 5 trees. Had to cut and stack, 5 trips to the dump but plenty of firewood. The damage, to my amateur eye, just about as bad as Isabel around RIC and especially the older neighborhoods with mature trees.

I'm about 30 miles west of Atlantic City. We actually didn't loose power but a lot of family around here did. Major street flooding, we had a few inches of water in our basement. We had a leaky roof in one room before the storm so things got even more interesting with that! I stayed up through the storm to see what happened. I was outside during the storm because we feed outside stray cats and thought we heard meows, but everyone was okay. Intense experience, especially with the earthquake, but we got lucky.

Mike McGuire, NJ

I send weather email updates to about 200 people. One lady texted me yesterday about 4pm to tell me she lives in St Mary's Co and when she read that I kept saying one of the main threats would be falling trees. she decided to take her three cats and go to someone else's house, not surrounded by trees. 3 trees fell on her house and she was very glad she left.

Lost power twice for 2-3 minutes on Saturday night. Other than that, no damage in my area.

My power flickered but did not go out. I got very lucky with that and although there was some tree damage here, it wasn't as bad as one town to my north. I spent most of yesterday afternoon and part of today helping my friends clean up-- there were at least 20 trees down in a 3 block radius. Some of them still dont have power. :(

Lost power in Allaire NJ around 10pm Sat night. Still no power, hope they get us online soon. Generators saved the day and it has not been hot so the house is cool. One of our service provider lost both the primary and redundant fiber spans.....two separate locations in NJ......so we shifted gears at the office and our DR plan worked perfectly. Hope to have one of the spans up in the morning. Both need new pole installed but one location is flooded so they cant install the pole.

We thought everything was in the clear Sunday afternoon but those winds at 5pm added to the misery for both power, fiber service provider and trees. Just when you thought it was safe to take a breath those west winds kicked in.

Otherwise it was not as bad as Dec 92 in terms of winds and ocean flooding. The boardwalks took damage but it did not push inland.

Imagine if Irene went Cat3/4 into NC and stayed stronger up the coast....it would have been a totally different outcome.

Flew out of EWR today and the flooding in NJ was amazing to see from the air.....the Delaware looked muddy and wide.

Lost power in Allaire NJ around 10pm Sat night. Still no power, hope they get us online soon. Generators saved the day and it has not been hot so the house is cool. One of our service provider lost both the primary and redundant fiber spans.....two separate locations in NJ......so we shifted gears at the office and our DR plan worked perfectly. Hope to have one of the spans up in the morning. Both need new pole installed but one location is flooded so they cant install the pole.

We thought everything was in the clear Sunday afternoon but those winds at 5pm added to the misery for both power, fiber service provider and trees. Just when you thought it was safe to take a breath those west winds kicked in.

Otherwise it was not as bad as Dec 92 in terms of winds and ocean flooding. The boardwalks took damage but it did not push inland.

Imagine if Irene went Cat3/4 into NC and stayed stronger up the coast....it would have been a totally different outcome.

Flew out of EWR today and the flooding in NJ was amazing to see from the air.....the Delaware looked muddy and wide.

Yep, take Gloria, give it Irene's track and have it come in at astronomical high tide.

Just finsished the clean-up after 7ft of water inundated my basement from the Passaic River. Lost everything in the basement and will be without gas for 2 weeks. Apparently water got into the gas lines over a large area and about a dozen streets in town will be without gas for a while. The PSE&G guys said they've never seen so much damage to gas lines. Taking an ice cold shower when it was 59 degrees out this morning was tons of fun. Better get used to it I guess :arrowhead: .

Spent all day yesterday cleaning up branches and leaves. We lost power but only for around 7 hours, we lost Comcast from Saturday evening until late this morning. Our biggest headaches during the storm were self inflicted. My wife started filling the bathtub in anticipation of the storm and tried multitasking. She frogot about the tub until I heard rain that was not falling on the house but insaide. I went and looked and found the tub had overflowed and water was covering the floor and was jsut starting to overflow into the bedroom. We grabbed a bunch of towels and made a dam and then turned off the water. I ran and got the shot vac and wee vaccumed up all the water. However, it had also flowed into the air vent which runs to the basement. We had to cut it and take a section out with buckets under it to catch the water. We also had to remove insulation so everything could dry. Luckily, no dry wall was involved. Also luckily the electricity kept running so we could run two dehumidifiers full blast through saturday night until we lost power Sunday morning.

Spent all day yesterday cleaning up branches and leaves. We lost power but only for around 7 hours, we lost Comcast from Saturday evening until late this morning. Our biggest headaches during the storm were self inflicted. My wife started filling the bathtub in anticipation of the storm and tried multitasking. She frogot about the tub until I heard rain that was not falling on the house but insaide. I went and looked and found the tub had overflowed and water was covering the floor and was jsut starting to overflow into the bedroom. We grabbed a bunch of towels and made a dam and then turned off the water. I ran and got the shot vac and wee vaccumed up all the water. However, it had also flowed into the air vent which runs to the basement. We had to cut it and take a section out with buckets under it to catch the water. We also had to remove insulation so everything could dry. Luckily, no dry wall was involved. Also luckily the electricity kept running so we could run two dehumidifiers full blast through saturday night until we lost power Sunday morning.

LOL, hey Wes gotta love it when one woman causes more damage than the other woman. Irene no, Momma FTW.

LOL, hey Wes gotta love it when one woman causes more damage than the other woman. Irene no, Momma FTW.

True though the damage was pretty minimal and was pretty easily mitigated. The amazing thing is I never raised my voice about it. Instead we worked as a team to clean everything up. I did tell her afterwards that if she ever decided to fill the tub again because of a possible power outage one of us would sit next to the tub until it was filled. lol.

Archived