Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Hurricane Irene Observations Thread

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just not sure the wind experienced over interior NE would have been much worse if the max sustained winds were 20 mph higher is all I meant.....sorry I came off like that.

Maybe I'm wrong.....but, the higher winds have a hard time translating that far into NE, anyway...imho

Again, sorry...my fault.

Good point. I see what your saying. If the actual wind speed of the storm was 20 mph higher. I took it as what everyones gusts and sustained speeds were 20 mph higher. Misunderstood on both sides I guess. Lol. No problem.

Thing is Ryan I just hope people will pay attention on the coast next time to the east, esp RI and Cape Cod where two years running people evacuated/pulled boats etc...for really a moderate system that was nowhere near what was advertised in the days prior. Sure our local office did a great job, but again hurricane warnings when even hurricane gusts seemed unlikely over most of the area for the last 24-36 hours. It's like the NHC is afraid to adjust.

At least here in CT I'm glad they had it as a hurricane warning because we were able to get people to evacuate and take it seriously. Top 3 storm surge event in western LIS.

Upload to YouTube?

Possibly, might be the format. Just got a call from Chesterfield Emergency Management saying there are numerous washouts and closings including Cummington Rd , South st., Mountain Rd. ( for you wiz.lol) They also implored people to stay at home. Some strong winds making into the glen right now.

At least here in CT I'm glad they had it as a hurricane warning because we were able to get people to evacuate and take it seriously. Top 3 storm surge event in western LIS.

Wow...that is what I was alluding to...that is how this one should be measured, but I def. understand that most folks will focus on their own sensible wx....I am def. like that during the winter, but not so much during tropical season.

Apparently you were unconscious while I was having a page long orgasm about an hour ago.

Quote one complaint from me today....

misunderstanding i guess, probably not worth going back and figuring out what happened

sincere sorry, I don't really want problems with anyone here

I didn't intend any mby statements to mean anything besides obs reports.. and besides I am pretty impressed overall regardless of what category or how high the winds/rain gets here

I hate the topography of this area to death. LCI has hit 44 mph and every time I glace over at the VP2 console it says somewhere between 4 and 9.

3.45" worth of rain so far.

You're pulverizing me. 2.87"

I have the manual gauge out too though. It's probably over 3" now.

misunderstanding i guess, probably not worth going back and figuring out what happened

sincere sorry, I don't really want problems with anyone here

I didn't intend any mby statements to mean anything besides obs reports.. and besides I am pretty impressed overall regardless of what category or how high the winds/rain gets here

NBD...I tend to overreact and did so in this instance...sorry.

Please take any bitching and non-obs here.

http://www.americanw...ene-bch-thread/

No....I thought he was advocating the argument that this was not a high end TS...my apologies if not.

Not at all Ray. Im not into that whole calling out nhc because it should of been this or that at landfall. I just like the weather and was just saying how things were going from my perspective.

I'm just not sure the wind experienced over interior NE would have been much worse if the max sustained winds were 20 mph higher is all I meant.....sorry I came off like that.

Maybe I'm wrong.....but, the higher winds have a hard time translating that far into NE, anyway...imho

Again, sorry...my fault.

How many stations are reporting sustained tropical storm force winds right now...looks like the number is increasing a little? It's close, Boston is at 1223 from the SSE (160 degrees) at 39 MPH (34 KT) gusting to 54 MPH (47 KT

Block Island from the S (180 degrees) at 36 MPH (31 KT) gusting to 49 MPH (43 KT)

There is zero doubt this is producing sustained tropical force conditions. The observations have not yielded hurricane force readings for about a day.

I'm kinda shocked by the amount of tree/limb damage I am hearing/seeing. 50-60 mph winds are doing this. 70+ would be devastating.

That's my point in the post earlier Bob. The gap between what people perceived and what is occuring...if we ever get a true 80mph sustained wind up here with higher gusts imagine the damage.

Tonight's surge may bring the biggest damage for areas down my way. Could get bad.

Archived