Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Hurricane Irene Observations Thread

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think I might not lose power...yard's a complete mess though. Sustained winds seemed to have died down, still get some pretty good gusts though.

I'm glad this didn't happen a month later or else foliage season would take a major hit. I don't even think I have a branch down yet. Just some leaves in the yard. Peak gust here was 31mph, but the tall oaks on the east side of my yard cut down on winds from that direction.

the thing is what do inland people need to do differently to prepare? It's kind of common sense to stay away from trees when it's ripping 80mph so that will take care of itself for the most part.. As always it's the flood prone who need to take these things most seriously. I think for the most part people tend to heed evacuations for flooding potential.

Well talking more about the fact that there are still people who go out and travel and people who just don't take things seriously. There will definitely be people who "downplay" this just b/c they didn't lose power or don't have damage in their area. People though did seem to do a good job preparing, stores were nearly emptied out, generators and flashlights were going like crazy, and people boarded up (along the coast at least) so that's good to see.

I'm glad this didn't happen a month later or else foliage season would take a major hit. I don't even think I have a branch down yet. Just some leaves in the yard. Peak gust here was 31mph, but the tall oaks on the east side of my yard cut down on winds from that direction.

I've got a ton of leafless branches down...everything that was stuck up in the trees is coming down.

20 extra mph where I live would have made a pretty big difference, not complaining but been kind of meh since those couple gusts I had earlier around 45-50 mph. No trees down anywhere on my st. Power still on. But who knows maybe the gusts from the other side of the storm will be the main event here. Maybe not. Either way we dodged a big bullet of what could have happened if it were cat 1 or low end cat 2.

Believe it or not, the largest indicator of a storm's impact it not how many trees are down in Bow, NH.

Think I might not lose power...yard's a complete mess though. Sustained winds seemed to have died down, still get some pretty good gusts though.

We'll wait til the winds change to the SW before you say anything. I'm still getting great gusts here. Once this rain clears out I think its wind damage time.

NYC was just left of the track...they were not supposed to get the biggest winds......surge was the main issue here and always was.

Even just to the right of the track though there was nothing even approaching 65 MPH sustained winds...you don't think that if a 95 MPH hurricane slammed into queens, with an actual eye wall, that would not have done a ton of damage. Furthermore, even if it did hit just to the right of NYC, could you imagine NYC in the west eyewall with likely 60-70 MPH sustained winds in 100 MPH gusts?

You can't tell me that would not have made a difference

Thinking the same here, yard is a mess with tiny branches and bunches of leaves from my huge oak tree. Also have a puddle in my lawn about half a dozen inches deep. Other than than besides a few gusts that are pretty modest things are going ok.

Even just to the right of the track though there was nothing even approaching 65 MPH sustained winds...you don't think that if a 95 MPH hurricane slammed into queens, with an actual eye wall, that would not have done a ton of damage. Furthermore, even if it did hit just to the right of NYC, could you imagine NYC in the west eyewall with likely 60-70 MPH sustained winds in 100 MPH gusts?

You can't tell me that would not have made a difference

Who cares what the exact wind readings were on land....most of the damage was done from surge.

Max sustained winds are always hit or miss on land.

Yup

Thing is Ryan I just hope people will pay attention on the coast next time to the east, esp RI and Cape Cod where two years running people evacuated/pulled boats etc...for really a moderate system that was nowhere near what was advertised in the days prior. Sure our local office did a great job, but again hurricane warnings when even hurricane gusts seemed unlikely over most of the area for the last 24-36 hours. It's like the NHC is afraid to adjust.

Totally agree. In fact I've seen some facebook and twitter posts from people saying this was a "bust". Not at all. In fact, I hope this was a wake up call to people. We very well could have been hit by a higher category storm. While the past day or so many have been saying don't pay attention to the category b/c at that point it wasn't important...we were getting smacked regardless. If we had gotten hit though by a strong cat 1 or even a weak cat 2 which was a possibility at one point just imagine at what we would be dealing with damage wise...just look at what happened now.

A lot of my neighbors and boat owners feel like this was a total bust. It's been a nothing storm for us here. It was pretty nasty in the upper buzzards bay region, but unless the LLJ kicks in, this was actually not much worse than the storm we had a few weeks ago where and many of the major winter events. I'm talking right on the water, it's bad, but heck we had a snow changer back in early December several years ago..you guys remember that one that exploded as it moved right over the Cape...rain changed to snow with huge winds and a lot of coastal flooding that was mostly unexpected?

Come on now...we know that the center went over NYC with like 30 MPH winds...and I haven't seen any sustained wind reports in New England over 50 MPH.

If an 80 knot storm wet over central LI, with a real area of hurricane force winds and gusts over 100, the damage would have been massive,

According to the NHC a storm nearly that strong DID impact western LI...LOL. That's the problem. People are going to associate "this" with a 75-85 mph hurricane and think "that was no bad I'll leave my boat in next time". That's why I really believe NHC's old approach was best where they would modify warnings quickly. I don't like this status quo approach the last few/several years where they let things ride even when it's pretty obvious hurricane conditions aren't likely to occur.

I don't know if it's the fact that the plane data is so good now it gives them insight they didn't have before when the relied more on obs, or if it is that in the old days they only had mostly obs and those storms seemed worse to me. IE, with all the data they have now 25 years later would 1986 Gloria be 20% stronger per NHC at impact because of flight level winds east of the center? Get my drift?

WOW that is amazing, u should post before/after on that or take some video i bet that could make a newscast.

Right on cue for what bouchard said would be dieing down ahs been the complete opposite, the wind has really picked up in the last 45 mins and I'm hearing the trees creak groan and branches starting to crack. Makes sense since BOS just had their highest gust of 62 mph. Probably not that strong here but very impressive.

I shot some brief video clips with my camera but not sure how to post them here. Heavy rain and now big wind continue. Heavy duty weather here right now.

A lot of my neighbors and boat owners feel like this was a total bust. It's been a nothing storm for us here. It was pretty nasty in the upper buzzards bay region, but unless the LLJ kicks in, this was actually not much worse than the storm we had a few weeks ago where and many of the major winter events.

Too bad they weren't reading the forum :lol:

Remember you, along with Will/Scott and others were talking about how that area may actually not see that severe effects from this b/c it could track too far west but then everyone really thought it would track further east...possibly up through central CT or southwest RI, which obviously would give that area much more in the way of impacts. Turns out the Euro completely nailed this and that far west track verified so the effects out that way were a bit more minimal. We'll see what that LLJ can do this afternoon, especially if some sun can pop and we get some mixing.

No....I thought he was advocating the argument that this was not a high end TS...my apologies if not.

Not at all Ray. Im not into that whole calling out nhc because it should of been this or that at landfall. I just like the weather and was just saying how things were going from my perspective.

Oh really. Good call, obviously it isn't the largest indicator of a storms impact. That's not what I was implying at all.

I'm just not sure the wind experienced over interior NE would have been much worse if the max sustained winds were 20 mph higher is all I meant.....sorry I came off like that.

Maybe I'm wrong.....but, the higher winds have a hard time translating that far into NE, anyway...imho

Again, sorry...my fault.

Archived