Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Hurricane Irene Observations Thread

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty close to my tally, sounds right. Bronson Brook is raging, you can hear boulders tocking off one another as the torrent moves them downstream. The upper Westfield is full of trees and other forest debris. The sound is deafening and it shakes the ground.

WOW that is amazing, u should post before/after on that or take some video i bet that could make a newscast.

Right on cue for what bouchard said would be dieing down ahs been the complete opposite, the wind has really picked up in the last 45 mins and I'm hearing the trees creak groan and branches starting to crack. Makes sense since BOS just had their highest gust of 62 mph. Probably not that strong here but very impressive.

Pretty close to my tally, sounds right. Bronson Brook is raging, you can hear boulders tocking off one another as the torrent moves them downstream. The upper Westfield is full of trees and other forest debris. The sound is deafening and it shakes the ground.

great pic and wild description.. stay safe out there

Can you imagine the damage if this had hit central LI as an 80 knot hurricane? I mean a real one....? This much damage from a moderate tropical storm, goes to show how vulnerable we still are from the next "big one"

Totally agree. In fact I've seen some facebook and twitter posts from people saying this was a "bust". Not at all. In fact, I hope this was a wake up call to people. We very well could have been hit by a higher category storm. While the past day or so many have been saying don't pay attention to the category b/c at that point it wasn't important...we were getting smacked regardless. If we had gotten hit though by a strong cat 1 or even a weak cat 2 which was a possibility at one point just imagine at what we would be dealing with damage wise...just look at what happened now.

Totally agree. In fact I've seen some facebook and twitter posts from people saying this was a "bust". Not at all. In fact, I hope this was a wake up call to people. We very well could have been hit by a higher category storm. While the past day or so many have been saying don't pay attention to the category b/c at that point it wasn't important...we were getting smacked regardless. If we had gotten hit though by a strong cat 1 or even a weak cat 2 which was a possibility at one point just imagine at what we would be dealing with damage wise...just look at what happened now.

the thing is what do inland people need to do differently to prepare? It's kind of common sense to stay away from trees when it's ripping 80mph so that will take care of itself for the most part.. As always it's the flood prone who need to take these things most seriously. I think for the most part people tend to heed evacuations for flooding potential.

Come on now...we know that the center went over NYC with like 30 MPH winds...and I haven't seen any sustained wind reports in New England over 50 MPH.

If an 80 knot storm wet over central LI, with a real area of hurricane force winds and gusts over 100, the damage would have been massive,

NYC was just left of the track...they were not supposed to get the biggest winds......surge was the main issue here and always was.

20 extra mph where I live would have made a pretty big difference, not complaining but been kind of meh since those couple gusts I had earlier around 45-50 mph. No trees down anywhere on my st. Power still on. But who knows maybe the gusts from the other side of the storm will be the main event here. Maybe not. Either way we dodged a big bullet of what could have happened if it were cat 1 or low end cat 2.

Archived