Newest Member
    Monty
Hurricane Irene

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we get this garbage deleted?

We're on here because we're interested in extreme/anomalous weather, period. A hurricane hitting NYC is just that. And it's not like what people "root for" matters anyway. Who cares? It's not like it affects the outcome...either the hurricane comes or not. So just stop spewing this BS, we've heard the same arguments a million times.

disagree, we have people actively disappointed if the track favors less intensity...to me thats just irritating, use common sense judgment, no one should be rooting for a hurricane. If you want to do it, do it privately

definitely has to be picking up on some interaction with the stalled out front and have a sense of a PRE.. it really explodes the QPF over our area.. The zoomed northeastern view on storm vista has the center over central long island, essentially.. the storm is so big.. so trying to determine exactly where the center is will be difficult, especially using these models

I don't exactly understand what happens between hours 60 and 66, but it seems to weaken significantly. Maybe because it's faster moving in this run, it deteriorates faster? Looks to be a strong category 1 at hour 72.

Its extremely close to the coast or even onshore early in that range, thereafter it still is never more than 50 miles offshore. I'm still saying if this exact track occurred the storm would not be a hurricane by the time it reached NYC.

I don't exactly understand what happens between hours 60 and 66, but it seems to weaken significantly. Maybe because it's faster moving in this run, it deteriorates faster? Looks to be a strong category 1 at hour 72.

I wouldn't put too much into the GFS intensity forecast, the minimum pressure is usually way off even at initialization.

You were supposed to never post again, weren't you? Also, forward speed would help maintain its strength, not weaken it, so stop spewing your nonsensical analysis.

definitely has to be picking up on some interaction with the stalled out front and have a sense of a PRE.. it really explodes the QPF over our area.. The zoomed northeastern view on storm vista has the center over central long island, essentially.. the storm is so big.. so trying to determine exactly where the center is will be difficult, especially using these models

It is, and it makes a difference. I suspect there are a lot of folks in Queens and the Bronx who don't think there's much risk, or aren't aware at all... But if the track sets up a Long Island Sound funnel effect they could be in for a real surprise.

Its extremely close to the coast or even onshore early in that range, thereafter it still is never more than 50 miles offshore. I'm still saying if this exact track occurred the storm would not be a hurricane by the time it reached NYC.

agreed weak cat 1 or strong TS look more likely, however the surge can be bigger than what you would expect.

Agree--but hurricane force winds still likely on the shore...waves will be tremendous..flooding will be worse.

I'll be at manasquan inlet if anybody else wants to come video and chase this thing.

Agree--but hurricane force winds still likely on the shore...waves will be tremendous..flooding will be worse.

I'll be at manasquan inlet if anybody else wants to come video and chase this thing.

Just the momentum and piling of water into NY Harbor will be ridiculous. I wonder how high the surge can get in this kind of setup?

Wow, the models seem to really be starting to pick up the fact that the storm is going to make a turn well east of due north as it approaches Long Island's latitude. I think this makes a lot of sense. This would be baaaaaaaaad for Long Island.

The trajectory it takes would do serious damage up and down the Jersey coast, thru NYC and then LI.

06z GFS puts out 7.96 of QPF inland at KSWF

http://www.meteor.ia...=gfsm&site=kswf

Archived