Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Hurricane Irene

earthlight

This was posted on here at 5:15

OUTER-BANDS FROM IRENE SHOULD BEGIN TO IMPACT THE REGION IN ERNEST SATURDAY NIGHT...WITH THINGS DETERIORATING FURTHER SUNDAY AS A IRENE APPROACHES. EXPECT WIDESPREAD HEAVY RAINFALL FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY...THEN PRECIPITATION TAPERING OFF FROM SW TO NE AS IRENE PULLS AWAY SUNDAY NIGHT...BASED ON LATEST NHC FORECAST TRACK. GIVEN THE SIZE OF IRENE...DO NOT FOCUS JUST ON THE FORECAST TRACK...AS ITS DANGEROUSLY STRONG WIND FIELD LIKELY WILL ENVELOP MOST OF THE REGION...EVEN ON THE WEST SIDE OF THE STORM. ALL PREPARATIONS FOR HURRICANE IRENE SHOULD BE COMPLETED BY SATURDAY AFTERNOON...AS WINDS/RAINS STARTING SATURDAY NIGHT...AND DEFINITELY SUNDAY WILL MAKE IT DIFFICULT...IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE TO TAKE ANY ACTION THEN

Recent

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not a Gloria type scenario where the storm races North at over 40MPH shearing its left side completly like it did back in 1985.This will be a slower storm with the hurricane remaiing intact for a longer period of time.Irene is a huge storm as well so its effects are going to be felt farther away from the storms center than in previous tropical systems.On SEPT 16th 2010,Much of Brooklyn and Queens saw winds of between 80-90MPH outside of the strongest part of the 110-125MPH Macroburst winds and Tornado. You know how long those winds lasted? in most cases less than a minute.Irene has the potential to bring 75-90MPH gusts of winds for a several hour period.Nobody on this board has experienced these types of winds in their lifetime.In addition,the winds will first come from the SE which will blow on the weaker side of the tree roots.Add to that saturated grounds and the potential for Thousands of trees uprooting is a real and probable outcome.Many places will also likely have their wettest month on record as well.

It will be fun too see when we start to get in range of the high res models which should provide very detailed info about the specifics. We're almost in range of the NAM on E-WALL. As you can see the numbers are off the charts. Don't be suprised to see a high res model spit out say 20" of rain. I'm not saying thats going to happen, but Irene is forecasted to still be fairly well organized, and I have my serious doubts on some of the lower QPF outputs.

f84.gif

In the latest discussion they are mentioning increasing SW shear and weakening beyond day 3, I don't see that at all, and I was told that the SHIPS model is not showing much shear at all.

Sure its going to loose some punch on its way up here, but there thinking appears to be nowhere near alot of the modeled intensities.

They still have it at Hurricane strength, long after its past us, so they haven't gone all that conservative

025514W5_NL_sm.gif

Thankfully this is occuring on a weekend. If it were one day later the city would have to be virtually shut down

If Irene's intensity and track are accurately depicted on some of these maps, the city would probably be pretty well shut down on Monday anyway. With this kind of widespread and extreme wind damage and flooding area-wide, travel/commuting would likely be difficult to impossible on Monday even though this would be occurring on Sunday.

WX/PT

Yup, it definitely does. Plus, the shortwave near New Foundland is further north, which would theoretically give the W ATL ridge room to flex more muscle.

yep, I just noticed that too... the westerlies over the northern tier have generally gone lighter.. it's subtle, but it is overall a weaker pattern up north now

yep, I just noticed that too... the westerlies over the northern tier have generally gone lighter.. it's subtle, but it is overall a weaker pattern up north now

I wonder what effect the new obs over the Northwest will have on the models tomorrow. Hopefully for many of our sakes, Irene tracks a little east of the coast, because a hugger or slightly inland track would be horrendous for many of us on the NJ and south shore locales in terms of surge. A huge SE flow over several tide cycles into NY harbor can produce a lot of damage.

Archived