Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Hurricane Irene

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AG3, what imacts if any do you think this will have on Flushing Bay?

That bay need strong northerly winds to flood. I guess, on the backside of this, we can see stronger winds from a northerly direction.

The way the euro depicts the storm, the western south shore of LI/Brooklyn and all of SI, will have the strongest push of surge waters.

I'm not too fond of a track to our west as the lack of real rain will take away from out experience with a tropical system.

again this is an outliner..most other models bring it over eastern Long Island.I guess a compromise would put everybody in play.i guess we'll start to know by 0z tonight

I'm not too fond of a track to our west as the lack of real rain will take away from out experience with a tropical system.

With the amount of water coming in from the atlantic you won't even know you didn't get a foot of rain plus you will see water spouts and/or tornados.

That bay need strong northerly winds to flood. I guess, on the backside of this, we can see stronger winds from a northerly direction.

The way the euro depicts the storm, the western south shore of LI/Brooklyn and all of SI, will have the strongest push of surge waters.

Ah ok, thanks for the explanation. Was always curious as to what it would take to flood Flushing Bay, not that I would ever want it to flood :P

If you take a Gfs/Euro blend the hurricane would strike the western part of LI and we would see torrential rainfall, all options on the table...at the very least this is going to be quite a show for the coast with tremendous waves, beach erosion and coastal flooding.

With the amount of water coming in from the atlantic you won't even know you didn't get a foot of rain plus you will see water spouts and/or tornados.

North shore of the island by me is very difficult to flood. The topography is not really conducive for piling water efficiently when considering the path storms usually take. Best chances for flooding are the bays on the south shore.

North shore of the island by me is very difficult to flood. The topography is not really conducive for piling water efficiently when considering the path storms usually take. Best chances for flooding are the bays on the south shore.

Still man, you have seen epic rains before, but have you even seen tropical storm/hurricane landfalling induced tornados and/or water spouts?

The way the EURO depicts it, half of NYC's geographic area will be under water. This really has the potential to be catastrophic.

The way the EURO depicts it, half of NYC's geographic area will be under water. This really has the potential to be catastrophic.

This area has a really tough time flooding in a widestead fashion. The areas that could potentially flood are the marsh areas on the south shore and the communities that were hastily built on them, parts of coastal eastern Staten Island, and part of lower Manhattan/ FDR area.

This area has a really tough time flooding in a widestead fashion. The areas that could potentially flood are the marsh areas on the south shore and the communities that were hastily built on them, parts of coastal eastern Staten Island, and part of lower Manhattan/ FDR area.

Howard Beach area and the entire Belt Parkway area, would flood pretty badly with that euro scenario.

As would Rockaways, Atlantic and Long Beach areas.

It's not a pinhole eye, it's just contracting and filling in with clouds as a precursor to the ERC impending. No changes or slight weakening at 5 if anything, although I do still like 125 kts as a peak by 11 or 5 tomorrow.

Yeah agreed. You can see the pre-erc wobbling near and around the eye on the visible loop.

John,

Do you have any thoughts on the latest EURO and GFS.. What is your gut feeling as to how this is going to play out..

My favored track for a few days has been a Hatteras scraper to something just east of Long Island. I think the highest probability of landfall is over Southeast Southern New England...although I'm not sure it will be a hurricane.

Howard Beach area and the entire Belt Parkway area, would flood pretty badly with that euro scenario.

As would Rockaways, Atlantic and Long Beach areas.

We would almost definitely have to be evacuated. Water would likely be several feet or deeper all across town in this kind of scenario and track. The only worse track I can think of is one that heads due north and not over land for any length of time. The real danger is if water gets into the tunnels and subways, and obviously into the extremely heavily populated areas in Brooklyn and Manhattan. This is a massive storm that will pile tons of water up. It's the kind of situation where a cat 1 can pack a 10+ foot storm surge in places. That would be devastating. But this is just one model, 3-4 days out from the storm.

arghh, mean to post this in this thread, not the main one.

Just comparing the last 2 euro runs..on the 12z run the trough looks faster and not as sharp, allowing irene to hug the coast more and actually tick NNW once the atlantic ridge tries to build in its nose westward.. This is a very dangerous and fragile setup. Im curious to see what the GFS does in its next few runs, trends are key (epecially at 500mb).. I'd place my bets on a central-eastern LI landfall right now as a category 1 hurricane

arghh, mean to post this in this thread, not the main one.

Just comparing the last 2 euro runs..on the 12z run the trough looks faster and not as sharp, allowing irene to hug the coast more and actually tick NNW once the atlantic ridge tries to build in its nose westward.. This is a very dangerous and fragile setup. Im curious to see what the GFS does in its next few runs, trends are key (epecially at 500mb).. I'd place my bets on a central-eastern LI landfall right now as a category 1 hurricane

I am guessing a Riverhead Long Island land fall.

Archived