Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Hurricane Irene

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the storm approaching and seemingly becoming a threat to bring at least eastern portions of our area some very heavy rain and potentially wind, this will be the last warning regarding this thread staying on topic. This topic is meant to be a serious discussion on the storm itself and the threat it poses to our area. Posts regarding winter storm comparisons, this storm is a bust, this storm is going to be a mega historical storm, etc will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned until the storm has passed.

I hate that it has to come down to this, and I have tried to be as lenient as possible especially in this forum, but the thread has spun off in a million different directions even after I started this thread specifically to be on topic. Thanks in advance for making it easier on me and the rest of the staff guys. It is appreciated.

i was reading somewhere earlier in the thread that MOST hurricanes have a tendency to go east of the projected track as the storm moved on? can anyone clarify the truth to that. im trying to learn about the typical behavior in the tracks of tropical cyclones and what this storm is likely to do? if this doesnt make any sense let me know i dont wanna sound stupid either just trying to learn

how are the models coming up with such low pressures? Waters cannot be warm enough north of NC to sustain that....what am I missing?

They are probably overdone, BUT water temperature is not the only factor in determining strength, and some of the more aggressive models are forecasting a really healthy upper level environment to maintain strength.

Water that can sustain tropical systems extend quite a bit north, up to 100 miles south of Long Island as Tip mentioned yesterday. Unless atmospheric conditions don't support the system or there is interaction with land, Irene should be able to maintain a lot of her strength up to a pretty decent latitude.

how are the models coming up with such low pressures? Waters cannot be warm enough north of NC to sustain that....what am I missing?

Even while Earl was weakening ,he was still able to cross 40N with 958 mb.

39 40.00 -69.70 09/04/03Z 60 958 TROPICAL STORM

Euro has landfall southern tip of Jersey, its way left of last night. Looks like 12z Euro yesterday. Would destroy Atlantic City with surge and winds if this were to happen.

It then goes up I-95 in Jersey straight into NYC over land.

Very little rain to right of center but waves and surge would be tremendous. Also, tornado threat here with the squalls on the right side.

And NYC taking the full brunt of the Eastern side of the storm.

Wind maps off wundermap will be interesting. I'll post them when available.

Except that its over land when it comes up to NYC as it makes landfall at the southern most part of NJ. IThe surge could be an issue as well as some weak tornados but not sure about the winds once it ges up here because of the fact its over land while it climbs NJ.

yeah I mean seriously, the new Euro is probably too far west, but not by much, we're starting to get into the range where verification scores are very high.

That's a very scary scenario...I would think that if it is a Cat 3 at Cape May, it still will maintain at least Cat 1 strenght up into the NYC area....Possibly a worst case scenario with hours and hours of South East winds piling water into NY harbor...I would think that a lot of lower manhattan would be flooded by that scenario...

That's a very scary scenario...I would think that if it is a Cat 3 at Cape May, it still will maintain at least Cat 1 strenght up into the NYC area....Possibly a worst case scenario with hours and hours of South East winds piling water into NY harbor...I would think that a lot of lower manhattan would be flooded by that scenario...

If this were to happen this is pretty much a worst case WATER SURGE/WAVE scenario for the city. The rainfall and winds would not even be a close second with that amount of water.

Archived