Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Hurricane Irene

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

main forum mets are saying that the troughing on the 00z GFS was likely overdone, and this was a good correction by about 4-8mb.

hr 93, just about everyone is being crushed, by the way, good front end rains of over an inch while the storm is still well SW of OBX

gfs_namer_093_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

? The storm is off the delmarva there.

Im on my phone so can't see. Messanger posted the bw map there also....

Clarification. I never said it was east of 0z GGEM.

Im saying its east of the 12z GFS, which I believe it is, judging by those crappy Canadian graphics.

Ewall will have it in 20 minutes to verify.

This storm is quickly looking like a similar scenario to hurricane bob strength wise and landfall wise.. If the shifts to the west continue then Gloria, as an analog will appear to be the best comparison..

The bottom line is that no 2 storms are alike.. If this storm were to come into long island west of the nassau/suffolk border, it's going to be devastating..

12z GFS brings 74+ MPH sustained winds very close to Hamptons and east area of LI and 50-74mph sustained winds for much of Suffolk County, LI.

gust to hurricane force on most of the Island..get your candles and flashlights ready..with the heavy rain will bring down many trees if the 12 z GFS is correct

So basically this has the potential to be very bad for the city, it seems. With a strike on eastern LI I think the potential could be there for hurricane force gusts in the city proper (assuming it landfalls as a 105ish mph storm), whereas gusts up to 90 or so could be expected if landfall is a bit further west. Worst-case could involve very significant flooding of large portions of Brooklyn and Queens as well as lower Manhattan... even a graze could result in many areas going under water.

Archived