Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Hurricane Irene

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think though it will more likely hit the Caroline coast as Cat 2 or 3 storm but I see 3 possibilities right now.

1. Recurves OTS

2. Take Bob like track but be much weaker though as tropical storm due the slow moment over cooler waters and perhaps lose its tropical features by the time it makes second landfall on the Eastern tip of LI

3. Take a middle track and brushes the cape as either a weak tropical storm/depression or become post tropical hrybid system.

You missed one of the most obvious scenarios, and the one depicted by the models and by the NHC.

good call dude. i just tuned that in...they were talking about the resemblence to a 1944 hurricane that stayed offshore but made landfall around cape cod canal. They said that storm did a ton of damage on the shore. They had a cool graphic showing all the models as well...folks it looks like this may be the real deal. They upgraded the potential impacts on the northeast to major.

Was just down in Freeport on the nautical mile. Had a bite to eat at Otto's, i was thinking how bad it would be if a storm came in and wiped that place out. :thumbsdown:

The 1944 hurricane didn't stay offshore of this area-- it made landfall on E Long Island with winds of 95 kt.

This situation is getting rather scary.. A storm coming into western LI w/ hurricane force winds - even low end cat 1 - would be devastating tree-wise.. And the flooding looks pretty prolific as well...

:lol: Let's not go overboard. NY has been hit by 75-kt hurricanes before.

This storm has a real potential to be a "It could happen Tomorrow" type storm for us.

Not really.

When we have a Cat 5 near the Bahamas, with wind of 150 kt, and a very strong steering current propelling it rapidly due N toward the Northeast USA, then we can talk about once-a-century storms.

Might this significantly impact the region? Yes. Might it be the biggest 'cane to hit Long Island in 25 years? Yes-- because it would be the only one in that time. Will it be a disaster of epic proportions? I highly doubt it.

I think we should save this kind of grave language for situations that warrant it. :)

According to wikepedia, it says landfall was at long beach which is not too far east of JFK

http://en.wikipedia....urricane_Gloria

Where I was on the south shore at the Nassau Suffolk border the eye passed over. We were all under the impression that the backside would be worse but of course it essentially fell apart at that point. The damage was done by then though. To read later that it was barely a 1 when it made landfall was surprising considering the damage done. What was surprising was the relatively limited field of damage. I remember on the news hearing about how 'we' dodged a bullet, etc., which of course NYC had. Even the difference between south of Merrick Road and, say the Southern State Parkway was dramatic.

You missed one of the most obvious scenarios, and the one depicted by the models and by the NHC.

The 1944 hurricane didn't stay offshore of this area-- it made landfall on E Long Island with winds of 95 kt.

Not really.

When we have a Cat 5 near the Bahamas, with wind of 150 kt, and a very strong steering current propelling it rapidly due N toward the Northeast USA, then we can talk about once-a-century storms.

Might this significantly impact the region? Yes. Might it be the biggest 'cane to hit Long Island in 25 years? Yes-- because it would be the only one in that time. Will it be a disaster of epic proportions? I highly doubt it.

I think we should save this kind of grave language for situations that warrant it. :)

Agreed, though the possibility of even being grazed by this storm raises eyebrows considering the amount of rain that has fallen in the last few weeks. Ground is very saturated. Flooding and downed trees could very well be an issue.

Not really.

where is it exactly going to make landfall?? you seem to know the rest. lol

jkjk I know what you are saying

Just took a look at the Euro Ensembles...

Using the MSLP Spag plots, its clear that the 0z Euro is about 50-100 miles west of the main cluster of ensemble members. Most of the big hitters take the storm right up the coast not inland like the OP Euro did.

The 12z run showed the same thing, with the OP SLP being a touch to the NW of the main group of ensemble members, which makes me think the models showing the storm moving N or even NNW once it reaches our area are a bit too slow with the evolution of the UL trough.

this is definitly a bit of a set back right as it seemed we were moving towards some sort of consensus, as long as the Euro doesn't make a big jump east this was proably just a fluke run.

You have no way of knowing this. lol. It could be totally spot on and starting a "trend". Let's just wait and see.

0z GGEM has a 976 low just east of LI. Shifted slightly east.

GGEM shifted way east and has Irene centered close to or just south of Nantucket Sunday 12Z. But I would not put much weight into GGEM for this storm at this time. It handles tropical systems poorly until they get much further north.

WX/PT

Archived