Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Hurricane Irene

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This situation is getting rather scary.. A storm coming into western LI w/ hurricane force winds - even low end cat 1 - would be devastating tree-wise.. And the flooding looks pretty prolific as well...

Right now I think the main impact will be the major coastal flood/beach erosion and flooding rains . On the east side of the storm will be some gusty winds as well.

If the strength of this storm continues and the models continue to maintain their trajectory into the NYC/LI area - the media is going to flip by <b>Friday</b>..

I believe the final outcome will be a miss for us for truly destructive impacts,but enough for a significant flooding event.

This storm has a real potential to be a "It could happen Tomorrow" type storm for us.

Meh. For some localized areas, yeah, damage is likely going to be extreme if it follows almost any of the early 00z cycle models.

Ok don't go overboard. Show me a gfdl track on Friday and then hit the panic buttons.

Yeah, it's a wait-and-see game at this point. I'm not buying the milk and TP yet. :)

If the strength of this storm continues and the models continue to maintain their trajectory into the NYC/LI area - the media is going to flip by Friday..

The only reason they didn't start today is because of the earthquake IMO. They should be locking in tomorrow if nothing huge changes.

The storm's still 5 days out-way too early to totally freak. I recall Katrina at that stage in 2005 being progged to maybe hit Panama City but instead hitting just E of New Orleans. I think the normal error at this range is up to 200 or so miles.

And with each model run it trends further and further east. This time tomorrow we very well will be talking about cape cod.

And with each model run it trends further and further east. This time tomorrow we very well will be talking about cape cod.

Incorrect. Several models made a jump west since yesterday.

But, it's still very far out. Not until Thursday at the earliest should anyone get overly concerned.

Incorrect. Several models made a jump west since yesterday.

But, it's still very far out. Not until Thursday at the earliest should anyone get overly concerned.

Yup. Today we saw several models make their first bumps west in days.

The fact that we are going to be "in between" troughs for a while will allow this storm to head due north for quite a while. Even if the storm only barely grazes Hatteras, we'll still get a potentially very scary scenario. The storm doesn't seem to want to take any eastward turn until the storm is literally just south of Long Island.

The storm's still 5 days out-way too early to totally freak. I recall Katrina at that stage in 2005 being progged to maybe hit Panama City but instead hitting just E of New Orleans. I think the normal error at this range is up to 200 or so miles.

Any margin of error at this point makes the landfall on LI very different. A shift 100 miles east and nothing happens, a shift 100 miles west and its possible the storm comes more into NC and undergoes a ton of weakening. North Carolina and the fact it sticks out so far into the Atlantic results in there being a relatively thin margin for error in storms hitting LI.

Any margin of error at this point makes the landfall on LI very different. A shift 100 miles east and nothing happens, a shift 100 miles west and its possible the storm comes more into NC and undergoes a ton of weakening. North Carolina and the fact it sticks out so far into the Atlantic results in there being a relatively thin margin for error in storms hitting LI.

Exactly-very little margin of error here, although some kind of direct impact looks quite likely at this time. I could definitely see the 2nd or 3rd trough being deeper and causing an eastward track that grazes New England, or a stronger ridge that forces a track a little closer to an Isabel. Either way, it really won't be time to sound alarms until late this week. But I can imagine the headaches that any evacuation plan would feature if this really did take that kind of 1944 or even Gloria type track. There are hundreds of thousands of people potentially in flood zones in even a Cat 1 hit, and I wouldn't envy any NYC emergency planner's responsibilities this week.

Looks like a rather sharp eastern shift of the NHC track.

Edit: Made a mistake, sorry.

NHC 8pm sunday has the hurricane in nassua county, sustained winds of 74 mph........thats def a bit west of the model consenus, would be a disaster if happen......Good thing its a day 5 prog.

post-570-0-49759100-1314155151.gif

That could be a worse case than Gloria. Its hard to say, Gloria came in east of that current NHC track, the landfall I believe was over far western Suffolk and it exited the north shore near Port Jefferson. The current NHC track is probably a bit west of the worst case scenario in a NNE moving storm, a track 50 miles more east is probably the nightmare because it generally does not interact with NJ/MD at all.

That could be a worse case than Gloria.  Its hard to say, Gloria came in east of that current NHC track, the landfall I believe was over far western Suffolk and it exited the north shore near Port Jefferson.  The current NHC track is probably a bit west of the worst case scenario in a NNE moving storm, a track 50 miles more east is probably the nightmare because it generally does not interact with NJ/MD at all.

According to wikepedia, it says landfall was at long beach which is not too far east of JFK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Gloria

Archived